Riders banned from New Forest sportives for urinating in public

UK Cycling Events takes action against 18 riders it says broke its rules

by Simon_MacMichael   April 27, 2014  

New Forest rider and pony (CC licensed by iNew Forest:Flickr)

The company behind the Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive and other events in the national park says it is banning 18 riders from its events for breaking rules such as urinating by the roadside rather than in the portable toilets it provides.

The decision by UK Cycling Events was revealed at a recent meeting of the New Forest Association of Local Councils, reports the Daily Echo.

During the past couple of years, mass participation cycling events in the New Forest have attracted vocal opposition from some locals.

Earlier this month the Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive was the target of sabotage attempts, as it had been in 2013, with 15 riders suffering punctures as a result of tacks being spread on the road. At some events, signs put up by organisers, often to do with safety issues, have been removed.

The riders banned for urinating in public were caught outside the Forest Park Hotel in Brockenhurst, with Martin Barden from UK Cycling Events saying: “The hotel had eight portaloos and our marshals told all riders stopping at the hotel to ensure they used the toilets provided.

“Anyone who decided not to was instantly banned from the event as this is not something we condone.”

He did not reveal why other riders had been banned, although he did tell participants prior to the event a fortnight ago that any cyclists blocking the road by riding more than two abreast, or seen dropping litter, would be barred from entry to future sportives organised by the company.

According to district councillor Maureen Holding, the Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive led to “pandemonium” in Brockenhurst.

She told the Daily Echo: “The road was blocked by people who had abandoned their cycles in the middle of the road. And some of them were urinating in full view of families – even though there were toilets only a few feet away.

“I hope the ban sends out a clear message that we expect people to behave,” she added.
Criticism of cyclists relieving themselves in public on such events isn’t limited to those who urinate.

In December, it was alleged at a meeting of the New Forest National Park Authority that some riders had defecated on village greens while taking part in sportive rides.

70 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

One assumes that the gentlemen in question didn't pay to travel and participate in the event with the express intention of outraging public decency.

That said, I wouldn't want to see a 'me' pissing in my front garden either and don't tell me there wasn't a convenient bush or tree to hide behind.

Boardman CX Team '14 | Cannondale CAAD8 '12 (written off, SMIDSY) | Scott Sportster '08

Gizmo_'s picture

posted by Gizmo_ [897 posts]
28th April 2014 - 10:48

13 Likes

'we're a bit more tolerant in Yorkshire'

Blimey. Not a sentence you would hear too often. This New Forest place must be horrific. I'm imagining Auschwitz, recreated in Dorset?
Wink

posted by andyp [965 posts]
28th April 2014 - 10:48

16 Likes

i think if you seen a cyclist or walker taking a shit in public by the side of a track, as i have done you should run them over if you have a car or simply kick them to death.

posted by birzzles [16 posts]
28th April 2014 - 10:50

13 Likes

andyp wrote:
'we're a bit more tolerant in Yorkshire'

Blimey. Not a sentence you would hear too often. This New Forest place must be horrific. I'm imagining Auschwitz, recreated in Dorset?
Wink

Yay! I win Godwins Law bingo!

posted by allez neg [4 posts]
28th April 2014 - 11:03

16 Likes

vanmildert won that, waaaaaay back up there...^ Wink

posted by andyp [965 posts]
28th April 2014 - 12:08

10 Likes

Well the organisers had to really.

Peeing in public can mean lots of things. I have peed in the bushes on this very same sportive a few years back. I bet lots of others did as well. Go right in the bushes where no one can see you and I don't think anyone has a complaint. They see you go in the bushes, they probably guess what you are up to but don't see anything untoward or unless they are really looking. Even my kids know this.

Do it with abandon making no attempt at discretion and that's a different matter.

The fact is that you can only be seen peeing in public if you don't make any attempt at being discreet. In which case you are a lazy unsociable git that deserves being banned from future events.

Basic social and citizenship skills plus normal decency and civilisation. If you can actually ride a bike and hold down a job so you can afford a bike and an entry fee, then this should not be beyond you.

Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand.

posted by oozaveared [660 posts]
28th April 2014 - 12:08

20 Likes

There was quite enough "attitude" in the Chilterns this weekend. I wouldn't ride a bike in the New Forest if you paid me. I only even go to Surrey either (1) in a group or (2) when the locals are still in bed. I don't fancy spending a month in hospital when one of their punishment passes goes wrong.

posted by deblemund [115 posts]
28th April 2014 - 12:13

8 Likes

If they were relieveing themselves in a public place and there were portable toilets available then fair doos, wiggle has to take some action.

I was out the other week and got caught short. I was in the middle of the countryside but nipped behind some bushes into a field, not a soul in sight. I emptied the tank, admiring the wonderful yellow rape seed fields of hampshire but I turned to see an elderly lady standing about 30 feet from me, just watching. At this point I couldn't stop, all I could muster was 'lovely day, but a bit breezy'.

No idea where she crept up from, reckon she had been hidden in those bushes for days.

'It's the closest you can get to flying'
Robin Williams response when asked why he enjoyed riding so much

posted by Simmo72 [350 posts]
28th April 2014 - 12:38

20 Likes

andyp wrote:
vanmildert won that, waaaaaay back up there...^ Wink

Did he? All I could see from him was a reference to runners and golfers. Not ALL golfers are Nazis, surely. Cool

posted by allez neg [4 posts]
28th April 2014 - 13:06

10 Likes

I actually rode this on the Saturday and know where they are talking about. Yes, there were a few people disappearing into the bushes, however the amenities provded by Wiggle were shocking. There must have been over 1000 riders passing through that stop and probably no more than 4 loos. I emailed them afterwards and complained and suggested they invest in the open urinals that I see on many running events, quick and convenient for the guys, leaving the portaloos for the ladies. Yes, they had to be seen to do something to appease the NIMBYs, however I would draw your attention to the fact that this same group of NIMBYs scattered tacks across the road on the Saturday. I escaped it but many didn't. So what'll it be? A debate on peeing in the bushes or crass stupidity that could lead injury or at worst, death?

Member of Le Club des Cingles de Mont Ventoux

posted by Pazaa [2 posts]
28th April 2014 - 13:24

14 Likes

I've often peed in the middle of a ride, not a problem as long as you can find a quite spot behind a tree and you're not exposing yourself to anyone.
How many times do you see young kids by the side of a stopped cars with their parents letting them have a pee.
I would suspect that the people making the complaints are the same saboteurs that are throwing tacs all over the road.

Get life and move on I say. At Wits End

posted by KnightRyder [5 posts]
28th April 2014 - 13:26

13 Likes

allez neg wrote:
andyp wrote:
vanmildert won that, waaaaaay back up there...^ Wink

Did he? All I could see from him was a reference to runners and golfers. Not ALL golfers are Nazis, surely. Cool

Godwin's law was updated some time ago to include mentions of Th*tcher and golf.

posted by andyp [965 posts]
28th April 2014 - 13:41

11 Likes

andyp wrote:
allez neg wrote:
andyp wrote:
vanmildert won that, waaaaaay back up there...^ Wink

Did he? All I could see from him was a reference to runners and golfers. Not ALL golfers are Nazis, surely. Cool

Godwin's law was updated some time ago to include mentions of Th*tcher and golf.

Oh - I'd never mention that poisonous auld queynte on here.

posted by allez neg [4 posts]
28th April 2014 - 14:24

12 Likes

Are Wiggle going to have "Wanted" style posters at their next events to make sure these people don't turn up at future events?

Sod it, there is enough money being thrown at some seriously old rope in cycling nowadays who fancies going in to a new business with me?

"Aero-tasche - For the chopper that needs to sportive in disguise..."

Arf.

posted by farrell [1517 posts]
28th April 2014 - 15:15

11 Likes

I'm not surprised by this. On the Sunday at the feed stop one bloke was asked to refrain from pissing across the road from the hotel by a member of staff, his reply "where are the fucking toilets then!?"

If ever the NIMBY's needed fuel for the anti-cycling fire that twat was it.

Bottom line if we don't police ourselves we'll have it done for us.

chrisp1973's picture

posted by chrisp1973 [57 posts]
28th April 2014 - 23:10

10 Likes

No pissing please we're British!
Been to a jazz festival in Denmark where they have porta loos in the streets. These consist of an X shape contrivance for men with 4 pissers in them. Just turn your back to the world and piss away. No one gave a toss over there. After all we all do it. And everyone has something to do it with.

posted by Hensteeth [41 posts]
28th April 2014 - 23:56

14 Likes

andyp wrote:
'we're a bit more tolerant in Yorkshire'

Blimey. Not a sentence you would hear too often. This New Forest place must be horrific. I'm imagining Auschwitz, recreated in Dorset?
Wink


Its in Hampshire

posted by gareth2510 [139 posts]
29th April 2014 - 10:51

6 Likes

and Wiltshire, if we're being pedantic.

posted by andyp [965 posts]
29th April 2014 - 11:48

5 Likes

As Allez Neg notes, with 5000 entries they have no prospect of being able to police bans. It is just good local PR, at no cost or consequence even if anyone really was banned as they claim. Those who behave worst will probably be the first to work this out.

There were certainly no marshals at the feed stop on the Saturday to speak to the steady stream of riders heading for the trees the other side of the lane from the hotel.

posted by psv10 [1 posts]
29th April 2014 - 12:35

6 Likes

Simmo72 wrote:
If they were relieveing themselves in a public place and there were portable toilets available then fair doos, wiggle has to take some action.

I was out the other week and got caught short. I was in the middle of the countryside but nipped behind some bushes into a field, not a soul in sight. I emptied the tank, admiring the wonderful yellow rape seed fields of hampshire but I turned to see an elderly lady standing about 30 feet from me, just watching. At this point I couldn't stop, all I could muster was 'lovely day, but a bit breezy'.

No idea where she crept up from, reckon she had been hidden in those bushes for days.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape...what if she had a knife? The last words you would have heard are 'Not in my back yard' Smile

posted by ronin [151 posts]
29th April 2014 - 13:21

3 Likes

This is a difficult one, as I wouldn't ever urinate in public. The last time I rode 100 miles, I stopped off at a sainsbury's around the 50 mile mark. I was then good for another 50 miles (of course I am a Nectar card holder Wink.

Many people in this country just don't have any shame, so that goes on and off the bike. Go to any city center at a weekend and I'm sure you'll see people doing it.

Perhaps Wiggle should issue a nappy in their race pack Smile

posted by ronin [151 posts]
29th April 2014 - 13:39

3 Likes

psv10 wrote:
As Allez Neg notes, with 5000 entries they have no prospect of being able to police bans. It is just good local PR, at no cost or consequence even if anyone really was banned as they claim. Those who behave worst will probably be the first to work this out.

There were certainly no marshals at the feed stop on the Saturday to speak to the steady stream of riders heading for the trees the other side of the lane from the hotel.

Rider number taken - linked to name, address, telephone number and email.

Any future attempt to register for an event using any of the above could be refused - not too hard to police really, a false name etc could always be used for subsequent events of course.

chrisp1973's picture

posted by chrisp1973 [57 posts]
29th April 2014 - 14:00

6 Likes

chrisp1973 wrote:
psv10 wrote:
As Allez Neg notes, with 5000 entries they have no prospect of being able to police bans. It is just good local PR, at no cost or consequence even if anyone really was banned as they claim. Those who behave worst will probably be the first to work this out.

There were certainly no marshals at the feed stop on the Saturday to speak to the steady stream of riders heading for the trees the other side of the lane from the hotel.

Rider number taken - linked to name, address, telephone number and email.

Any future attempt to register for an event using any of the above could be refused - not too hard to police really, a false name etc could always be used for subsequent events of course.

Don't forget, it is also linked to the method of payment, so bank details aswell...false name won't work Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8938 posts]
29th April 2014 - 16:59

7 Likes

Paula Radcliffe. 2005 London Marathon. Caught on camera. Portaloos every mile. But, as so many have said, their rules so we should abide by them however daft they may appear.

Sam

posted by zagatosam [28 posts]
30th April 2014 - 6:02

3 Likes

zagatosam wrote:
Paula Radcliffe. 2005 London Marathon. Caught on camera. Portaloos every mile. But, as so many have said, their rules so we should abide by them however daft they may appear.

and that wasn't just her stopping for a slash. Coiled out a Mr Whippy in front of the TV cameras.

posted by andyp [965 posts]
30th April 2014 - 8:43

3 Likes

Just glad I live in France where they don't have any Victorian issues with bodily functions! Cool

posted by sodit [70 posts]
30th April 2014 - 8:54

2 Likes

allez neg wrote:
andyp wrote:
allez neg wrote:
andyp wrote:
vanmildert won that, waaaaaay back up there...^ Wink

Did he? All I could see from him was a reference to runners and golfers. Not ALL golfers are Nazis, surely. Cool

Godwin's law was updated some time ago to include mentions of Th*tcher and golf.

Oh - I'd never mention that poisonous auld queynte on here.

queynte...is rather too 'quaint' to use in description of that horrid old gash...
Rolling Eyes

The_Kaner
FREEEEEEEEDOM!

The _Kaner's picture

posted by The _Kaner [464 posts]
30th April 2014 - 10:04

4 Likes

ronin wrote:
Simmo72 wrote:
If they were relieveing themselves in a public place and there were portable toilets available then fair doos, wiggle has to take some action.

I was out the other week and got caught short. I was in the middle of the countryside but nipped behind some bushes into a field, not a soul in sight. I emptied the tank, admiring the wonderful yellow rape seed fields of hampshire but I turned to see an elderly lady standing about 30 feet from me, just watching. At this point I couldn't stop, all I could muster was 'lovely day, but a bit breezy'.

No idea where she crept up from, reckon she had been hidden in those bushes for days.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape...what if she had a knife? The last words you would have heard are 'Not in my back yard' Smile

...or 'Dirty Birdy'...only to wake up and find yourself 'hobbled' in her out building/stable...and then being put on show for her Royston Vasey circle of friends, whenever it pleased her...

The_Kaner
FREEEEEEEEDOM!

The _Kaner's picture

posted by The _Kaner [464 posts]
30th April 2014 - 10:10

2 Likes

sodit wrote:
Just glad I live in France where they don't have any Victorian issues with bodily functions! Cool

....but surely you'd not wish for people just peeing and crimping off wherever they wished?

posted by allez neg [4 posts]
30th April 2014 - 10:14

1 Like

I don't think i'd want to visit the New Forest on a bike, on foot, in a car or any other way.

The people that live there and the rules they insist on seem unrealistic in their expectations.

What ever I did when I was there would probably get me into trouble.

Best avoided I feel. There are plenty of other nice places to go

vorsprung's picture

posted by vorsprung [291 posts]
30th April 2014 - 13:20

1 Like