UPDATE: Police looking into moped rider caught on cam trying to kick London cyclist

Chi Yong La attacked for taking lane in treacherous conditions

by John Stevenson   January 19, 2014  

Moped rider attempts to kick Chi Yong La

Police are looking into a moped rider who attacked a cyclist in London this week, attempting to kick him off his bike for taking the lane.

Chi Yong La was riding on New Kent Road between his job as a systems engineer for  publisher Condé Nast and his home in Greenwich.

Conditions were very wet and slippery and the road is notoriously badly potholed so Chi was following Transport for London advice and taking the middle of the lane.

At about 6:45pm, a man on a moped rode up on Chi’s left “shouting something about ‘is the middle of the road yours...’” Chi said on the YouTube video of the incident. (The time stamp on his  cam is an hour out, he says.)

When Chi pointed out the potholes and invited the motorcyclist to pass him properly, on the right, the man attempted to kick him as he pulled away.

Chi told the Metro website: “I was trying to cycle in the middle of my lane because that’s what I’ve been advised when it’s wet and there are potholes.

“The motorcyclist came up beside me and accused me of owning the middle of the lane. I said he could overtake on the right.

“But he suddenly whipped past and kicked out at me – he kicked my front wheel but luckily I managed to cling on.

“It was a close call but very worrying. I hope he can be traced.”

Chi contacted road.cc this weekend to telll us he'd filed a police report under the category of "Road Traffic Collision/Accident". He accompanied his report with the video below.

The police have forwarded the report to the transport department for further investigation.

"I hope they at least have a word with him," he said.

The incident left him unsurprisingly rattled. "I was really shaken up," he said. "I was really holding on for dear life, making sure I didn't topple over."

Shortly after the incident, another rider caught Chi. "The cyclist behind me pulled up [with me]," he said. "I think he was even more rattled than me." 

61 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

probably find out it is a wannabe cabbie!

mrmo's picture

posted by mrmo [868 posts]
17th January 2014 - 19:48

like this
Like (23)

Critchio wrote:
You have a decent offence of Causing Danger to Road Users there, which is punishable by a term of imprisonment (yes it covers cycles).

Lifetime ban from driving would be a more suitable punishment. The points/suspensions consequences involved in dangerous driving cases (not just ones involving cyclists but also where victims are other motorists or pedestrians) can be bizarrely lenient, even where death is caused.

You can argue the toss about the use of prison in these cases as a deterrent, a punitive measure etc. but the is no question that this sort of criminal should, if convicted, never be allowed on the road again as an issue of public safety.

Ghedebrav's picture

posted by Ghedebrav [822 posts]
17th January 2014 - 19:55

like this
Like (27)

Incorrect - this week the roads are full of water. Any standing water implies a pothole - otherwise it wouldn't be there. And I NEVER cycle right next to the pavement - pedestrians reading smartphones are the bane of my life as they wander into the road without looking.

There are two lanes here, and they didn't look full. I understand the need to be very cautious when the traffic is fairly solid, but he had plenty of space to pass, both on the right and in the other lane.

I would have shown him the value of his indicators and their use in overtaking after a bit of a chase if I had the opportunity.

Worried

2013 Specialized Venge Expert Di2 / 2013 Jamis Nova Pro Di2 / 2014 Specialized Tarmac S-Works Di2

posted by goggy [38 posts]
17th January 2014 - 20:08

like this
Like (26)

Ghedebrav wrote:
Critchio wrote:
You have a decent offence of Causing Danger to Road Users there, which is punishable by a term of imprisonment (yes it covers cycles).

Lifetime ban from driving would be a more suitable punishment. The points/suspensions consequences involved in dangerous driving cases (not just ones involving cyclists but also where victims are other motorists or pedestrians) can be bizarrely lenient, even where death is caused.

You can argue the toss about the use of prison in these cases as a deterrent, a punitive measure etc. but the is no question that this sort of criminal should, if convicted, never be allowed on the road again as an issue of public safety.

You are correct; Causing Danger and Dangerous Riding. That takes care of the ban Smile

posted by Critchio [95 posts]
17th January 2014 - 20:50

like this
Like (20)

I'm going to play devil's advocate here... firstly I'm glad nobody got hurt and I understand this guy probably didn't start this altercation (although we don't know), but riders with GoPros who act all haughty when observing substandard driving and shout out car / moped registration numbers for their youtube followers.... well I find them pretty annoying and embarrassing too, even as a fellow cyclist. To then post your video on youtube to whip up the baying mob and potentially not show the police, well it just doesn't sound very constructive to me.

Better would be to concentrate on activating your core so your upper body doesn't waggle around so much, rather than posting this to enthusiast websites, which just invites comments like one of the above, offering to slash the tyres of the moped if it can be found; it all just escalates the us vs them mentality which is really unhelpful.

posted by Whirlio [13 posts]
17th January 2014 - 21:13

like this
Like (29)

jacknorell wrote:
Unfortunately it seems the Met is very disparaging of video evidence. I'd love to be surprised, but there is enough evidence or their stated opinion on this topic and anecdotal stories to suggest it'll be dropped due to lack of evidence.

Yes, the Met seem to pick and choose video evidence as it suits them. They will, for instance, choose to use all sorts of low quality CCTV video to bolster various criminal case evidence yet all too frequently dismiss cyclist video of (quite frequently) better quality.

One comes to the conclusion that most of them don't give a flying fig about motorised vehicles terrorising cyclists or, to be honest, just about anybody else. Oh, unless it's a Police Officer who is the one being terrorised. The car is king and, as most Met Police officers would't be seen dread on a bicycle and, as they drive (and have much more sympathy with the drivers of) cars, they're really not that bothered about turning their attention towards that sizeable group of people who appear to break the law with impunity on a massive scale. By that I am, of course, referring to the legions of motorists who regularly get away with illegal behaviour - with very little censure from the authorities. Yes, they (the put-upon motorists) mutter and curse about the "iniquities" of speed cameras but, in reality you can kill someone using a car as your weapon of choice and get away with a non-custodial sentence. This largely explains the major problem we have with cyclists in London (and elsewhere) experiencing all sorts of antagonistic behaviour from motorists on a continuing basis about which almost nothing is done. Motorists know this and act accordingly. This, unfortunately, is a facet of our, arguably, screwed up society.

Jeremy Clarkson recently tweeted a picture of a cyclist which he'd taken on his phone whilst driving. Clearly, this was completely illegal - not the taking of the photo but the fact he did so whilst driving several tons of ludicrous 4x4 on a public highway. I shan't be holding my breath waiting for the Police to prosecute his quite obvious law breaking.

Ditto this case. I'd love to be proved wrong but...........

TiNuts's picture

posted by TiNuts [92 posts]
17th January 2014 - 21:48

like this
Like (25)

It the moped rider carries on like that he will end up dead of disabled. Fool.

posted by Simmo72 [214 posts]
17th January 2014 - 22:30

like this
Like (14)

Whirlio wrote:
I'm going to play devil's advocate here... firstly I'm glad nobody got hurt and I understand this guy probably didn't start this altercation (although we don't know), but riders with GoPros who act all haughty when observing substandard driving and shout out car / moped registration numbers for their youtube followers.... well I find them pretty annoying and embarrassing too, even as a fellow cyclist. To then post your video on youtube to whip up the baying mob and potentially not show the police, well it just doesn't sound very constructive to me.

Better would be to concentrate on activating your core so your upper body doesn't waggle around so much, rather than posting this to enthusiast websites, which just invites comments like one of the above, offering to slash the tyres of the moped if it can be found; it all just escalates the us vs them mentality which is really unhelpful.

I guess you missed the bit where the moped rider tried to kick the lad off his moving bike, then?

I agree with your sentiment in general. It just doesn't fairly apply here.

posted by Jonny_Trousers [60 posts]
17th January 2014 - 23:14

like this
Like (19)

Hi Whirlio

I just wanted to clarify a few things as I know your comment is based on some assumptions.
Chi is actually a good friend of mine and it was actually me who asked road.cc to publish the story to spread the word, obviously with Chi's consent.

Firstly Chi uploaded the video to youtube not because he has a big following of fans but because he uses a android and wanted to share this awful commute home with his friends and fellow cyclist such as myself. Google + uses youtube as a way to share video.
Chi chooses to cycle with a camera as he has had many incidents of people running across his path whilst on the way to work (his commute includes navigating down whitehall Regent street and Soho. He wanted to make sure if anything serious happened to him or a pedestrian he would have proof of the incident instead of being blamed point blank.
n such weather conditions he did not known if he would be able to capture the plate on video so he actually calls out the number plate as he knows he wont be able to remember it during the shock of almost being kicked of his bike, its actually called fast thinking. Sure he could have edited or bleeped it out, but again it was suppose to be for his friends to view.
And lastly, yes the video was actually sent to the police, it went to Metro after submitting as evidence to the police.
I hope this paints a better picture of what actually happened and that he is not doing this for thumbs up on his youtube video.

Whirlio wrote:
I'm going to play devil's advocate here... firstly I'm glad nobody got hurt and I understand this guy probably didn't start this altercation (although we don't know), but riders with GoPros who act all haughty when observing substandard driving and shout out car / moped registration numbers for their youtube followers.... well I find them pretty annoying and embarrassing too, even as a fellow cyclist. To then post your video on youtube to whip up the baying mob and potentially not show the police, well it just doesn't sound very constructive to me.

Better would be to concentrate on activating your core so your upper body doesn't waggle around so much, rather than posting this to enthusiast websites, which just invites comments like one of the above, offering to slash the tyres of the moped if it can be found; it all just escalates the us vs them mentality which is really unhelpful.

posted by Kelcha [1 posts]
18th January 2014 - 0:20

like this
Like (32)

Whirlio wrote:
Better would be to concentrate on activating your core so your upper body doesn't waggle around so much

Kelcha was too polite to say it, but I'm not: In the context of the rest of your comment, have you any idea how much of an ar5ehole that statement makes you look?

I'm guessing you're not aware of how much a camera (as opposed to your own eyes and brain, which are pretty good at tuning it out) can exaggerate upper body movement. Having seen a few other videos where it's next to impossible to figure out what's going on from the rocking and wobbling, I'd say this guy's actually pretty solid*. And anyway, why even bring it up as a point in your argument here except to show the world what an elitist ar5e you can be?

* Not as good as me of course, cos like you I'm perfect and speed purposefully through the air with nary a fraction of a wobble, even when I'm hungry and knackered after a day's work and it's pissing with rain and the traffic noise is making my head burst and I'm dodging potholes and cursing the council and I just want to get home and eat my dinner and see my missus and some fanny on a moped has pulled up, had a go and tried to kick me off my bike. Solid as a rock me.

seven's picture

posted by seven [72 posts]
18th January 2014 - 7:42

like this
Like (46)

Psychopath? This person would try and punch you at a buffet if you got between him and his food. Unfortunately the world is full of them. As I discussed recently on my blog (plug ahoy!): More cycle paths or fewer psychopaths?

The Human Cyclist A blog. Try it, you might like it...

sm's picture

posted by sm [329 posts]
18th January 2014 - 10:07

like this
Like (23)

seven wrote:
Whirlio wrote:
Better would be to concentrate on activating your core so your upper body doesn't waggle around so much

Kelcha was too polite to say it, but I'm not: In the context of the rest of your comment, have you any idea how much of an ar5ehole that statement makes you look?

You're saying what many of us are thinking.

There's a distinct whiff of victim blaming in most of these sorts of comments. If I'm feeling charitable then I assume that the poster is trying to reassure themself that "it couldn't happen to me because I $insert-magic-here". If I'm feeling grumpy then I suspect that the poster is lacking in intelligence or morals.

I've got to say that "activating your core" is a good one, must be something that people do after aligning their chakras.

posted by Ush [360 posts]
18th January 2014 - 14:34

like this
Like (24)

Quote:
There's a distinct whiff of victim blaming in most of these sorts of comments.

+1
What some people don't seem to realise I that no matter whether the cyclist is right or wrong to be in that position on the road, attempting to knock them off is NEVER right. I'm not going to state my opinion based on 30 seconds of video - maybe he's looking to move into the right lane after the lorry has passed, maybe there was a whole row of potholes a few seconds earlier. Who knows or cares?!

If someone was ambling right down the middle of the supermarket aisle, would you kick them into the tinned beans just to get past? Why is it any different on the road? There shouldn't be any debate about whether the cyclist was in the right or not. Or indeed whether he's "activated his core"...

Surprise

posted by crazy-legs [439 posts]
18th January 2014 - 15:14

like this
Like (32)

From now on whenever I get out the saddle I will shout 'CORE ACTIVATED!'.

pants's picture

posted by pants [54 posts]
18th January 2014 - 16:53

like this
Like (35)

On another note, I've been waiting for an update for the moped rider to be caught, but nothing so far. Hopefully the poo-lice will actually do something with the number plate in full view. That road is a part of my commute everyday.

pants's picture

posted by pants [54 posts]
18th January 2014 - 16:55

like this
Like (20)

pants wrote:
From now on whenever I get out the saddle I will shout 'CORE ACTIVATED!'.

Rolling On The Floor

shortly after that will you deploy the flux capacitor..and attempt 88mph...

The_Kaner
FREEEEEEEEDOM!

The _Kaner's picture

posted by The _Kaner [323 posts]
18th January 2014 - 18:05

like this
Like (18)

Having ridden New Kent Road in these conditions on many occasions, all I can say is that Chi's taking of the primary position is quite understandable, both from a visibility as well as a road conditon point of view. There are some horrible potholes and covers nearer the pavement.

Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

jmaccelari's picture

posted by jmaccelari [95 posts]
18th January 2014 - 21:20

like this
Like (25)

First thing to do is report the potholes to the local authority then when they haven't repaired them in the alloted time have an accident the sue the council. They would get mended pretty quickly then.
I've experienced twatty moped riders myself, they seem to think its funny to whizz by flat out as close as possible. My tactic is to give a little "innocent" wobble as they approach, you can pretty much always hear them coming as most have removed the baffle silencers from the exhausts.

posted by Guyz2010 [278 posts]
19th January 2014 - 20:34

like this
Like (20)

Quote:
First thing to do is report the potholes to the local authority then when they haven't repaired them in the alloted time have an accident the sue the council.

Personnally i would rather not have an accident than worry about suing after the event!

mrmo's picture

posted by mrmo [868 posts]
19th January 2014 - 23:59

like this
Like (12)

I had a few negative responses to my earlier post. I read it back and it is a lot grumpier than I meant it to, and I definitely apologise for that... And sorry to the original poster for any of the words that felt like a personal attack, my exasperation was for the community as a whole. I think we're all on the same side here, I ride in zones 1-2 every day and know what road users can be like to each other. As for the return replies calling me elitist and other names, well, I will try to be more constructive and re-phrase, because I think my points are still valid, but need phrased better:
- these videos only have negative outcomes when posted, as far as I can see. There are several offers of criminal retribution in this thread, not cool. Then there's the over reaction like calls for the charge of attempted murder and others declaring their strong belief that police won't do much, and calling any slight dissenters out as victim blamers. Really?
- couldn't people be potentially put off cycling by watching these vids? Surely that is something we should avoid.
- this and other slightly less aggressive driving (and cycling) happens all the time in Central London. The place is full of road rage, as well as careless, unqualified, and uninsured driving, lemming-like pedestrians and terrible cycling. The video is frightening and does show violent road rage but I'm almost numb to it because I see a lot that is, say, a quarter to half as bad as this. We need to somehow concentrate on a productive and constructive response that improves attitudes and relationships. I haven't got any great ideas myself apart from trying to be a considerate cyclist and not react angrily every time I nearly get knocked off, but inviting comments on these videos seem like endless negative reinforcement. My petty comment about core activation was an example - distasteful and I'm sorry again but it was meant to show a potentially constructive use of the video.

posted by Whirlio [13 posts]
20th January 2014 - 1:26

like this
Like (9)

Some of the responses to your post were a bit over the top, better to vent on a forum than to commit some kind of road rage though.

posted by kie7077 [357 posts]
20th January 2014 - 10:49

like this
Like (8)

Whirlio wrote:
- this and other slightly less aggressive driving (and cycling) happens all the time in Central London. The place is full of road rage, as well as careless, unqualified, and uninsured driving, lemming-like pedestrians and terrible cycling. The video is frightening and does show violent road rage but I'm almost numb to it because I see a lot that is, say, a quarter to half as bad as this.

I agree with you completely on this. I cycle every day in Central London and have lived and cycled all round the city and experienced all levels of craziness/aggression/competency from cars, vans, taxi's, buses, scooters, pedestrians and cyclists, I’ll even admit that I've done the occasional stupid thing myself (sacrilege I know).

On the morning of this post an M&S van driver actually lent out of his window and tried to push me into another lane because I was in the right-hand lane to go right (where I was going) instead of the left-hand lane to go left (where I wasn’t going) and only going about 25mph. He couldn’t get to the red light 50 yards up the road quickly enough apparently.

That's one of the more extreme examples, as is this article, but it did make me break out in a wry smile seeing the angry comments later that day as the (thankfully very) occasional violent attack as in this case, or, more much frequent lack of road manners or becoming enraged at someone else wasting 3 seconds of your oh so valuable time is very common amongst all road users in London it seems to me. When I first started cycling in the capital I used to get very angry myself all the time at the near misses, abuse and occasional use of vehicles as weapons. I now just give them a smile Big Grin and try to engage them in a friendly discussion (most of the time). This doesn't always work but makes me a much happier cyclist. I stopped in front of the van on this occasion and another cyclist who saw the incident from behind got very angry and urged me to take his license number, which I should have done, but, because I was late for work I just cycled on after umm’ing and arr’ing for a minute only for the full realisation of what had happened to hit me once I’d stopped for a minute later on. I don’t have a camera myself, but it’s incidents like this that remind me it’s sadly almost a must in Central London if you cycle every day, I can’t speak for other cities.

I’d also like to say that despite all the above it’s still by miles and miles the best way to get around and I arrive at work in a much better mood (most mornings) than I ever did using public transport or driving.

posted by rore [5 posts]
20th January 2014 - 11:57

like this
Like (13)

Whirlio wrote:
The place is full of road rage, as well as careless, unqualified, and uninsured driving, lemming-like pedestrians and terrible cycling. The video is frightening and does show violent road rage but I'm almost numb to it because I see a lot that is, say, a quarter to half as bad as this. We need to somehow concentrate on a productive and constructive response that improves attitudes and relationships. I haven't got any great ideas myself apart from trying to be a considerate cyclist and not react angrily every time I nearly get knocked off, but inviting comments on these videos seem like endless negative reinforcement. My petty comment about core activation was an example - distasteful and I'm sorry again but it was meant to show a potentially constructive use of the video.

From this section, it sounds like you've gotten used to the abuse and see it as a 'normal' by now. I can understand that, doing Zone 1 & 2 myself most days of the week, including weekends.

However, the type of behaviour we deal with every day isn't at all OK, and that's why your statement is getting such a vitriolic response.

I actually do feel that the behaviour in the video is intentional, criminal, and should be pursued not as a 'road traffic issue' but as attempted GBH at least.

Yes, lots of "us cyclists" are knobs... and very high on our metal or carbon horses. Plenty of us drive, and hopefully well, but a section don't and won't ever get it.

But the problem is the careless, and at times straight out homicidal, drivers of armoured metal boxes.

posted by jacknorell [173 posts]
20th January 2014 - 12:02

like this
Like (10)

As someone who's just taken up cycle commuting 6 week ago, over 30 years since I last rode a bike, the attitude of car drivers to me has been quite a revelation. I've been driving a car for 35 years and frankly I have seen more malice and aggression shown to me while I'm cycling that when I'm driving in the last few weeks.

To most cyclists I'm sure this won't be a surprise, but I think a lot of car drivers would be surprised.

Only last Friday I had a car deliberately suddenly pull out across the one way road to block the whole road to me before reversing back to his position in the gates of the building he was parked at once I'd had to brake (there was no traffic, he wasn't going anywhere and I was well lit), followed a few hundred yards later by a van almost mowing me down on the wrong side of the road (cars parked all long his side of the road but he didn't need to come so far over) - seemingly to just to scare me for fun on both occasions.

I hadn't really appreciated the sheer stupidity and aggression of some drivers towards cyclists. Far above what I experience from drivers when I'm behind the wheel myself.

posted by fatsimonstan [26 posts]
20th January 2014 - 13:29

like this
Like (13)

pants wrote:
On another note, I've been waiting for an update for the moped rider to be caught, but nothing so far. Hopefully the poo-lice will actually do something with the number plate in full view. That road is a part of my commute everyday.

The po-lice DGAF. I guarantee they will do absolutely NOTHING.

Airzound

posted by Airzound [76 posts]
20th January 2014 - 14:08

like this
Like (10)

I'd echo the sentiments of many of the posters above, that there is far too much aggression on London's roads. The frustrating element of it is that there are people who are really not in control of their emotions on the road and they need to be removed until they can prove that they have the temperament to handle a vehicle in an urban environment. A driving licence needs to have controls closer to a firearms licence, ie if there are any doubts over anger issues it goes. This video should be prima facie evidence sufficient to remove the licence and vehicle. However I suspect the met will take a look and file it in the big round thing on the floor also known as the bin along with the rest.

posted by arfa [368 posts]
20th January 2014 - 14:34

like this
Like (9)

Scary to think wht could have happened if th cyclist hadn't clung on after th kick. Cars and busses can easily do 30mph in the stretch of road there. I cycle old and new Kent road twice a day so i hope i never meet this moped idiot. I hope he's dragged to court!

Feel the fear and do it anyway

hood's picture

posted by hood [99 posts]
20th January 2014 - 16:34

like this
Like (12)

The Police simply don't care about this sort of thing unless there are targets. Police = civil servants + warrant cards

posted by Huw Watkins [41 posts]
20th January 2014 - 18:43

like this
Like (25)

fatsimonstan wrote:

I hadn't really appreciated the sheer stupidity and aggression of some drivers towards cyclists. Far above what I experience from drivers when I'm behind the wheel myself.

Sadly, it seems the general equation goes, human beings + power-over-others = viciousness. (Though maybe there's a +X on the LHS of that equation, where X is some mysterious cultural factor.)

Cycling on the road sometimes feels like participating in that infamous Stanford prison experiment as an inmate.

posted by FluffyKittenofT... [516 posts]
20th January 2014 - 20:17

like this
Like (14)

Post it on youtube with the number plate in the title.

Someone will recognise it and slash the tyres or put a brick through [his house] window. I would if I knew who he was!

posted by Nevans [12 posts]
5th February 2014 - 14:40

like this
Like (5)