Home
That's one way to get out of the traffic...

Here’s a great piece of stunt-riding madness from Texas as BMXer Matt Olson rides over the newly-completed Seventh Street bridge in Forth Worth on Saturday.

If there’s such a thing as a perfect day to ride a five-feet-wide concrete arch 24 feet high, this was it - sunshine, not too much wind, not too much traffic.

“When I was going up and over the top of those things, it was really a judgment call over how much and when to use my brakes and really hit that bottom piece of the slant and be able to get up the other side,” Olson told NBCDFW News.

“But the scariest part was pedaling up it. If you start slowing down you get the tip factor and you don’t have much room to fall there.”

Olson is rather familiar with falling. The 25-year-old BMX stunt rider has sustained 13 concussions, had three knee surgeries, a ruptured spleen and had his front teeth (and replacement front teeth) knocked out seven times.

Waiting Fort Worth police said there were a number of offences Olson could be charged with, but they were glad he was alive and let him off with a stern talking-to.

Our official grumpy Northerner, John has been riding bikes for over 30 years since discovering as an uncoordinated teen that a sport could be fun if it didn't require you to catch a ball or get in the way of a hulking prop forward.

Road touring was followed by mountain biking and a career racing in the mud that was as brief as it was unsuccessful.

Somewhere along the line came the discovery that he could string a few words together, followed by the even more remarkable discovery that people were mug enough to pay for this rather than expecting him to do an honest day's work. He's pretty certain he's worked for even more bike publications than Mat Brett.

The inevitable 30-something MAMIL transition saw him shift to skinny tyres and these days he lives in Cambridge where the lack of hills is more than made up for by the headwinds.

17 comments

Avatar
StantheVoice [93 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Love the guy who totally ignores/doesn't see the biker going over the last arch!  41

Avatar
giff77 [1232 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

That was what I was thinking also

Avatar
usedtobefaster [169 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I like the bit at the end where he rides past a police car in the car park on the right  1

Avatar
KiwiMike [1171 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I fail to see how this is any more 'dangerous' than using CS2. Same width, same consequences for error.

Avatar
OldRidgeback [2593 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

BMX riding can result in injuries alas, as my broken wrist, sprained shoulder and frequently bruised hip can attest. This guy pushes the boundaries.

Avatar
ir_bandito [58 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Compared to Danny MacAskill in Road Bike Party 2, its a walk in the park.

Avatar
AyBee [85 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
KiwiMike wrote:

I fail to see how this is any more 'dangerous' than using CS2. Same width, same consequences for error.

I was going to say similar - 5ft wide?!

Avatar
surly_by_name [356 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

The most awesome thing about this is the group of Segway-ers underneath the bridge hootin' and hollerin'. Segway - the new rock and roll.

Avatar
Initialised [295 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

One to not show my son who's just getting into BMXing

Avatar
Super Domestique [1596 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Initialised wrote:

One to not show my son who's just getting into BMXing

Nice to see some responsible parenting.

Unlike me, who emailed the link to his son!!  13

Avatar
Matt eaton [742 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Sick

Avatar
mingmong [257 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Hangers the size of bowling balls. Respect due.  41

Avatar
OldRidgeback [2593 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
Initialised wrote:

One to not show my son who's just getting into BMXing

Nice to see some responsible parenting.

Unlike me, who emailed the link to his son!!  13

I'll show my son. We go BMX racing together, though in different age categories.

Avatar
Super Domestique [1596 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
OldRidgeback wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:
Initialised wrote:

One to not show my son who's just getting into BMXing

Nice to see some responsible parenting.

Unlike me, who emailed the link to his son!!  13

I'll show my son. We go BMX racing together, though in different age categories.

Cool. My son is more into MTB (likes 4x particularly) but we have just 'inherited' a bmx from a neighbour that moved out. Their son barely rode it but its scratched etc from being moved in and out the way of the table tennis table they had.

When they moved out they said 'you like bikes, have this' and so it now has been cleaned up, now brakeless (it was before really as they didn't work before I took them off!) and just needs a bmx saddle (its got one off a Carrera road bike ATM as the old one was ripped and mouldy).

Don't know its brand but its nothing special. Great for those pop out to post a letter runs though  1

Avatar
OldRidgeback [2593 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
OldRidgeback wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:
Initialised wrote:

One to not show my son who's just getting into BMXing

Nice to see some responsible parenting.

Unlike me, who emailed the link to his son!!  13

I'll show my son. We go BMX racing together, though in different age categories.

Cool. My son is more into MTB (likes 4x particularly) but we have just 'inherited' a bmx from a neighbour that moved out. Their son barely rode it but its scratched etc from being moved in and out the way of the table tennis table they had.

When they moved out they said 'you like bikes, have this' and so it now has been cleaned up, now brakeless (it was before really as they didn't work before I took them off!) and just needs a bmx saddle (its got one off a Carrera road bike ATM as the old one was ripped and mouldy).

Don't know its brand but its nothing special. Great for those pop out to post a letter runs though  1

Sounds good - I'd put a back brake on again at least. If it has a gyro so the bars can spin 360, ditch it as those things reduce braking effect and you don't need a gyro anyway.

Keep the seat really low down and only use it when you need to. Scruffy skatepark BMXs are considered cool, especially if they've whitewall tyres and are brakeless but that last is a bit stupid if you ask me. Get some nice wide steel bars.

Avatar
Sara_H [58 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Initialised wrote:

One to not show my son who's just getting into BMXing

I was just thinking this, I have nightmares about him trying something like this!

Avatar
K Stand Ken [59 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Slightly off-topic, but as a self-confessed bridge geek, after cringing to see Martyn Ashton riding the edges of a very handsome river bridge in his 2nd road bike party video I emailed him asking for its location.
This was quite some months back but unfortunately Martyn did not favour me with a reply.
Perhaps now he has been laid low with injury he may have time to work his way through his old messages, but I won't hold my breath.