Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel Upgrade Advice

Hello all.

I'm looking for some advice on a wheel upgrade.

I currently have Fulcrum Racing Quattro's, a 35mm aluminum wheel. I have Ultegra BR6800 calipers, so I believe I am restricted to a max. 26mm rim width.

I have a budget of around £600 but willing to increase this by £100 or £200 if it meant I'd be making a better purchase. I have a BH G6 which is somewhat of an aero frame so I would like to go for a rim depth of 35-50mm. I also would like to stick to clinchers.

I have Vision Trimax Carbon 45 in mind, as they are nicely priced at the moment. These are not so much lighter than my current set-up but i imagine I would still see a gain being a deeper section (it's mostly flat where I live). Does anyone have experience of this Vision wheelset?

Or is there a better wheelset that you would recommend?

Thanks
Darragh

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

ianguignet | 3 years ago
0 likes

Prime RR50 V2 or V3. In your budget range and the best you can get for the money.

ianguignet replied to ianguignet | 3 years ago
0 likes

clinchers too. if you get them put gp5000s on em

Richard_pics | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just had a similar situation. 

Ordered some Prime Carbon RP50 rims from Wiggle. I cant fault them. My mediocre average has increased from 18 to 19mph, so im not complaining. 

Richbeck | 3 years ago
1 like

Handbuilt - David at DCR wheels will put together something to suit your needs.

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
1 like

Cut out the middleman and get them from Light Bicycle. 

You'll get some fantatsic wheels that should fall well within your budget. 

DarraghM replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks! I've checked them out, seems like a can get a decent set for about £580. Have you used Light Bicycle before? I'm not familiar with them.

Joe Totale replied to DarraghM | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not personally but I know people wo have and they've been happy with them. 

the nose | 3 years ago
1 like

hi,
I have just been thru a similar process.
I wanted "deep rims" for my Ridley Helium but wasn't sure how they would look, carbon or lightweight?
so went for the lightweight option to suit the frame..
I must of searched endless sites etc.
have a look on Tri UK they are selling Novatec carbon clinchers for £400 and many more in your price range. I eventually settled for a pair of campagnolo Eurus. not deep section but light and bomb proof. nice looking tubs with large aero spokes. I have to say I made the correct choice, these wheels have made a huge difference overall. I purchased them from Bike24 in Germany for €500 and were delivered on 4 days, a superb service. They are priced around £600 up in the UK.
hope that helps

Latest Comments