Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Conti Tyres - Time for a Change, or Not?

Hello all,

The missus wants to but me some more tyres for my bike for Xmas - Yes what a lucky boy i am....

I have been a solid user of Conti Gator Skins for the last 6+ years and i can count the number of punctures ive had on 1 hand.

However chatting to my mates, they are running Gp5000's. They say the rolling resistance is better etc etc, but they do occasionally suffer from more punctures.

Reading the reviews on wiggle, it seems they are properly 50/50.

Do i go with the gp5000's, stick to the Gatorskins (which have done me well over the years) or do i go for another brand.... 

I will be running tubes.

Thoughts please on what will be i appreicate, will be a divided & fairly personal choiced discussion...

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

srchar | 2 years ago
1 like

Conti Grand Prix GTs are a good halfway house. I've had them on my commuter for yonks. They're grippy (same compound as GP5000s) and feel fast. Strava tells me that I have done 9,271 km on the current pair, which I am frankly amazed by. They just don't puncture, even on the crappy, debris-strewn north London roads I commute on.

mtbtomo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Always been disappointed with Gatorskins.... As mentioned they don't seem to have rubber that is better suited to cold wet conditions than "normal" tyres and yet I've also had as many punctures on them as with any other tyre. Didn't I read somewhere that normal Gatorskins (not the hardshell) don't have any more puncture protection than say a GP4000?

I'd probably avoid 4 Seasons too, again because having ridden those also the rubber doesn't seem any better for cold winter and wet conditions than a GP5000 or any other similar tyre.

So if it was Conti I'd go for GP5000 or if not Conti then I would recommend Hutchinson 11storm tyres, either the performance or all season version. I've run the tubeless version but the non-tubeless would be the same compound and should be similarly grippy.

SlowOldSteve | 2 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the four seasons,  so much more grip than the gatorskins they replaced. Having broken my hip on the skatorskins last January,  I  will never ride them again! Not had a puncture so far since starting riding again in June. To be fair,  been riding the Gatorskins for years troublefree,  but within 400miles on new 28mm tyres lost the front wheel on a bend that I have gone round for years and never want to repeat that experience again. Hospital food to be avoided! Safe riding  and merry Christmas all.

Ride On | 2 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for gp5000s. When I switched from gatorskins to gp4000s it was a revelation, so much faster. If you aren't using your road bike in poor weather go for those, they served me well for 1000s of kms until I got 2 punctures in a week and then it's time for new ones.

Also check out -

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Which gives a good indication of both rolling resistance and durability for most tyres.

Richard_pics replied to Ride On | 2 years ago
1 like

I have been using this website, it is a usefull tool! Gatorskins and allseasons are very similarly matched!

Steve K | 2 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Four Seasons as the (good) compromise option.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
2 likes

The word I got from Conti via someone in the know at British Cycling was that the Conti GT was the best compromise, quite a bit of puncture proofing but with the grippy black chilli.

I used to ride Hardshell 25mm on my winter bike and had some scary moments on group rides lacking grip when others didn't, and I still had punctures. So switched to GTs and hasn't had problems, and the grip is much better.

I've riding tubeless since 2017, and wasn't overly happy with Schwalbe One which seemed a bit keen on tearing after a puncture so wouldn't seal.

I've moved onto Conti 5000Tubeless Ready and found them easy to fit with good technique and they were designed with a built in sealant layer so in theory didn't need sealant but they've dropped that now. I ran with sealant but in 2 years all I've done is replace for wear and pump up (4000 miles on rear, 8,000 on front) and add a bit of sealant.

I would say that our ride rarely has punctures compared with 10 years ago - group rides this year 3 times a week with average 10 riders, I think we've stopped for 4 punctures. I predicted 2 of them after riding through viciously flailed hedge clippings, so I think tyre quality has gone up a lot.

At least one of those punctures was an overly worn tyre where the carcas had failed.

My other puncture tip is if you running through axles, make sure you have greased them (I used anti-sieze) and checked that they undo. My Giant had a rear through axle that was glued my the laquer when new and the shop hadn't undone it on the PDI. Another rider had to call a taxi to get home as it couldn't be removed, even the bike shop struggled.

Really enjoying 32mm tubeless tyres this winter, it seems to be an extra bad pothole season and I've got away with a couple of holes which gave someone else a pinch puncture.

Miller replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

I would agree that tyre quality has increased generally. I've been using tubeless for a while so my own experience of flats has dropped away dramatically but many people still haven't, nevertheless clubruns seem to have fewer flats than say 10 or 15 years ago. I remember some maddening club rides back then. Also good tip about thru axles. They're as keen to seize in place as any other bike component which is ignored for a while.

Grahamd | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have Gatorskins on my winter wheels, and GP5000 for the summer months on my best wheels, so can attest to the merits and limitations of both. The Gatorskins are much, much more resiliant than the GP5000 but as others have said they are noticeably slower and have a harsher feel. 

I hate punctures particularly in the cold and wet so am willing to sacrifice speed and comfort for reliability. This year my switch over was after I had my second puncture (thorn from hedge cutting), yet no punctures in the Gatorskins in the past 4 years.

Woldsman | 2 years ago
1 like

The step up from Gatorskins is Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons.  I have them on both of my most-used (mudguard) bikes and Gatorskins on both my tourer and my tandem.  I have GP5000 tyres on my jazzy bike.  Go with the Grand Prix 4 Seasons if you're looking for p****ure protection primarily. 

Gimpl | 2 years ago
0 likes

I tried Gatroskins many years ago and they were ok.

In the summer I then used GP4000's - now I use GP5000's. They are much nicer to ride than Gatorskins but yes - you are correct that you will get the odd puncture. Personally I'm happy to pay that price for the nicer feel. 

As a happy medium I have switched to GP 4 Seasons during the winter - not quite as nice as the GP's but not as harsh as the Gator's.

As OTR asks - are they for summer or winter use? 

ETA - As your getting new tyres for Chrimbo, why not get new 'summer tyres', GP 5000's and keep the Gatorskins for winter?

Richard_pics replied to Gimpl | 2 years ago
0 likes

They will be an all year round tyre.
I will replace the current gatorskins with these.

The roads around here are pretty gash normally. The punctures I've had have been from flint pieces or glass.
The gatorskins always have fine slices all over them from our pony roads, but it's only occasionally the flint breaks through the "puncture proofing layer"
Would I get this protection on the GP5000's? Or would the flint just slice through?
When the weather is really shite, I tend to use the gravel bike.

wtjs replied to Richard_pics | 2 years ago
1 like

The punctures I've had have been from flint pieces or glass

That's what I suspected from the 'punctures over 6 years countable on one hand' comment. If there are hawthorn hedges, you will get punctures in the autumn/ winter. None of these tyres will stop hawthorn- the only thing I know that works is Marathon Plus, which is a fairly heavy tyre- but it's what I'm using.

ktache replied to wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Tubeless is the answer to thorns.

wtjs replied to ktache | 2 years ago
0 likes

No, thanks! I'll stick with the Marathons

ktache replied to wtjs | 2 years ago
1 like

Each to their own.

But the joy of pulling multiple inch long terrors out of each tyre after an inadvertent ride along a farm track after a recent trimming.

Each a ride ruiner.

And then a seepage, at most a bubble or two.

Then riding off, at first gingerly, then the smile and smugness increase...

Admittedly, a proper cut would have been disastrous, getting those tyres off the rim as set up would have been impossible out in the wilds...

OnTheRopes | 2 years ago
0 likes

Are these for winter use or when the weather improves? Personally I have used GP4000's all year round for many years and now use GP5000's all year round, are they more puncture prone? I have never used Gatorskins but I can't say that I have noticed anymore punctures than any other tyres and I can cope with the odd puncture, usually caused by thorns left by farmers or glass.

joncomelately replied to OnTheRopes | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm another tick in the GP4K box year round (except for ice). Still haven't moved up to GP5K. So far have been very happy, although the bull of my miles are urban commutes so no real experience with the surfaces you mention

Richard_pics replied to joncomelately | 2 years ago
0 likes

Where are you buying gp4000's from? I cant see any online!

joncomelately replied to Richard_pics | 2 years ago
0 likes

Ummm, the nail in my garage they hang on? Have had a stock from previously that I'm working through, will get the 5Ks when I've used the last of them!

Latest Comments