Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra brake lever adjustment

Ok, here's a simple question. I just bought the PI Lobster gloves. They're fantastic except for one thing. When shifting to a smaller gear the "glove fingers" are too thick and there's no space between the front of the drops where the levers mount and the small shift lever. I'm usually moving both levers at the same time when I'm trying to shift. I'm assuming if I take the brake lever shim out that this will help somewhat. Am I correct on this and if so, does the shim just lift out or is it secured somehow? The ultegra techdocs weren't very clear on this.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Shamblesuk | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't think the shim makes any difference between the gap between the up and downshift levers, it simply moves both levers closer to the drops. I may be wrong but on my Dura Ace (which has a screw to do this), that's what happens.

landdnl replied to Shamblesuk | 10 years ago
0 likes
Shamblesuk wrote:

I don't think the shim makes any difference between the gap between the up and downshift levers, it simply moves both levers closer to the drops. I may be wrong but on my Dura Ace (which has a screw to do this), that's what happens.

I just got the shims out and went for a ride with my lobster gloves and now I can shift as easy as can be done with the lobster claws over your hands. The ultegra 6700 comes stock with a 5mm shim. You can either take it out so the lever moves away from the bars or you can add a 10mm shim to move the lever closer to the drops(easier to reach lever when in the drops). It was so easy I'm embarrased I even submitted this post. It took a total of 5 minutes to do, 4 of which was to locate the shims. They're exposed when you squeeze the brake lever. Needle nose pliers did the rest.

Latest Comments