Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyclists in the news

Thinking about this, the red light jumping etc etc.

I am starting to think there is a serious problem in London, not a cyclist/driver thing just a London thing. I know on the occasions i have had to drive in outer London no one seems to obey the laws. I also know when i am in north devon or at home in the Cotswolds the worst most aggressive drivers usually have some London phone number on the number plate.

I also know when i did the Dragon a few years ago the cyclists most likely to jump lights were Londoners.

I compare what i see day in day out at home, yes there are cyclists who jump red lights, ride on pavements, no lights, etc etc. But it isn't really that many, I have the odd run in with drivers but on the whole most drivers will give you room and on the commute to work the HGVs who pass me day in day out usually will wait behind and give ALOT of room when overtaking.

So is this a London problem, a big city thing or am living in a parallel universe????

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

The last time i drove in London was over 25 years ago and it was scary then never mind now. When you look at the comments on news articles nearly all the doom and gloom reports are from London.

Personally i think your right though, Newcastle is a busy city centre for traffic but there are hardly any calls about drivers or cyclists.

MrGear | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's the sheer volume of traffic. More people means you're more likely to encounter an idiot, no matter what they are driving or riding.

The percentages of retards is almost certainly similar no matter where you are in the country.

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Everyone's in a massive god damn rush.

It's why I moved away. The City epitomises rudeness. Sorry, but while it could be totally awesome that fact is just undeniable.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Meh, I've been subjected to dangerous driving on country lanes by farmers in 4x4s as much as I have lorries in London. There's an awful lot of drivers in London, so perhaps that's why you might think London drivers are worse - sheer volume of people suggests that you'll see more idiots.

Kapelmuur replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Meh, I've been subjected to dangerous driving on country lanes by farmers in 4x4s as much as I have lorries in London. There's an awful lot of drivers in London, so perhaps that's why you might think London drivers are worse - sheer volume of people suggests that you'll see more idiots.

I don't contribute to threads about bad driving as most of my riding is in rural Cheshire where I find almost all drivers to be patient and considerate, even 4 x 4 drivers.

There are few problems on the Cheshire lanes and those that are are usually caused by other cyclists, elderly ramblers or wildlife.

adamthekiwi | 10 years ago
0 likes

I concur. I'm down in London this week, and I've brought my bike. I've not cycled in London, other than short jaunts on Barclays Bikes (I hate calling them Boris Bikes since, although Boris has claimed all the credit, the idea was Ken's), for over 10 years. It's been an eye-opener - I've been cycling from Clapham Junction to Southwark, and the levels of aggression from all road users is astonishing. The kind of passing that would have Edinburgh cyclists contacting the police is standard and the corresponding levels of stupidity and aggression from cyclists is a bit scary. An example: the cyclist who undertook me as I was slowing for a left turn, and collided with my outstretched signalling arm (which had been out for several seconds) - and then turned to berate me for signalling!

Of course, the people on the trains, tubes, buses and pavements are all ruder and more impatient too, so I expect it's not a function of road use.

Latest Comments