Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Where will it all end...

Think I'm getting a little obsessed...decided that I "need" carbon bars, that my bike will not be complete until I have shaved another couple of hundred grams off. But, if I give in, and scratch the itch then what's next? Will I then find justification to swap out my very comfortable saddle for the equivalent version with carbon rails (hollow Cro-mo at the moment)?
Can't help but feel it's all getting a bit out of hand.
BTW, if anybody happens to know the weight of a 42cm Specialized Tarmac Expert Alloy bar or the 143mm Romin with Cro-mo rails it would be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got it, I'm just being a geek  10

crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah sorry, I meant to put a  3 after my post... oops

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Also, there's nothing all that wrong with wanting to play about with your toy, is there?

I can see how it can be perceived as a little ridiculous when some folks spend 1000's and 1000's on stuff (yeah, actually that IS annoying) that in the long run really doesn't benefit them. But weight and cycling have gone hand in hand since it became competitive, there's nothing wrong with wanting to modify and play about with what you've got to see if you can improve it for yourself.

It's like if you're in to cars, you would tend to play about with the engine, or if you're into computers etc etc etc. It's probably just important to remember what you've got, and remember that it's easy to be sucked into the marketing rigmarole without really appreciating the underlying technologies.

Some people enjoy the bike as an object, some people enjoy riding the bike in general, I don't think it should really matter what bits we like and what bits we don't, everyone does it for different reasons.

Experimentation is key. That's how we get better. Or I might just be a massive geek and need to shut up now  10

crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes

It will never end.

If that's your attitude to it, you will always *need* (want) the next greatest thing and the next and so on. And that means you'll never be happy with what you've got.

Al'76 replied to crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep, this was meant to be a little ironic....was basically taking the piss out of myself after reading the review of the Bontrager carbon bars and, momentarily, contemplating the idea!
I have a very nice bike, like it a lot and realise I'm pretty fortunate to have it.

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pedals. My look keo's are super light, in contrast to my other halfs shimano pedals which are about twice the weight.

Bottle cages, you can get really miniamlistic ones from s-works for like 50 quid, total rip off, but very light.

Wheels are a given.

Look at your own kit, too. Helmets and jerseys can add unnecessary, but usually ignored, weight (depends on your wallet really).

And the obvious, "gut" instinct. Have a good poo before you ride.

Groupset - that's the biggy, if you've got 105 shifters & groupset you've got no hope (on the weight front, that's not a dig at 105).

It's pretty cool to watch what the hillclimb guys do pre-race, the steps some people take to shave off weight is unreal.

Latest Comments