Home

So I have £999.99p to spend on wheels  41

I have trawled and trawled the 2013 stock has really come down which has made the decision even harder.
I already have wheels sub 1500gm the Shimano RS80 carb/alum mix and they are frankly awesome wheels fast light stiff and great climbers... Plus other training winter wheels, but I fancy some new wheels, I don't need them I just want some because I can and I think that's a good enough reason  3 so I capped at a grand. They will only be ridden on special days  16 so I want them to be the best performance I can get and sub 1500gm if poss but heavier ok if there is a performance gain. The grand has to include tyre tubes etc tubs if a good choice. I ride around the peaks wales and do sportives and ride between 19-23mph on best bike weigh between 75kg-80kg all year. Looks are secondary to performance.
Asking for advice as I have looked at hundreds of wheel sets and my brain is no longer taking it in  102
Thanks in advance

24 comments

Avatar
iawmcauslan [4 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Ride more, spend less, use fewer 'smileys'

Avatar
Cyclist [295 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Helpful thanks... Couldn't find an icon for are you just ignorant or thick.

Thanks

Avatar
PJ McNally [591 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Best bang for your (thousand) bucks - I would suggest AMF or SCI (if you're in the UK) - http://goo.gl/iQ1aNQ

Avatar
Shanefutcher [98 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Don't buy upgrades,ride upgrades

Avatar
TomvanHalen [30 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Get some Spinergy Rev-Xs off eBay, spend the remainder on health insurance

Avatar
bashthebox [751 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've been recommended Wheelsmiths before now. Handbuilt loveliness.

Avatar
bikeylikey [204 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I'd get some Easton EA90 SLX for about £500, around 1350-400g (quoted weights vary), then spend the rest over the next few years on v lightweight fast high thread count tyres which wear out quickly. Merlin have the wheels on offer for an amazing £400 but they only have Shimano and I want Campag.

Avatar
PJ McNally [591 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

It's an unfortunate tendency nowadays online, to label anyone with a different opinion as a troll.

I was merely trying to point out that if one has £1000 to blow, there are plenty of better uses.

If we all gave just 10% of our income (and kept the other 90% to spend on ourselves), to the most efficient charities or good causes, we could solve many of the world's problems.

Personally my spending on bike stuff comes second to my giving.

Avatar
nostromo [55 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

With a £1k budget I'd have wheels handbuilt by a specialist or decent LBS. Perhaps using Hope hubs and a spoke/rim of your choice, maybe using a wider rim profile.

Personally, I would be looking at HED Ardennes or H Plus Son Architypes (or even TB14s) - but that's because the country roads I ride on are shit and I'm a heavy rider.

Avatar
turboprannet [151 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

seconded for the TB14's on Hope hubs. my LBS built me a wheelset based on that setup and they are fantastic for bad roads and people who "climb well for their weight"

Avatar
jjlowden [16 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

If you're not going to be racing them, just for riding, I'd go with Stan's Alpha 340 rims, Cx-ray spokes and Alchemy hubs put together by a decent builder.

If you're racing, look for a set of Zipp 404 firecrest going cheap

Avatar
glynr36 [637 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

IMO, pointless having a set of wheels extra to some shallow rims, unless you're going for aero wheels, and not just a wheel set that's minimal weight saving.

If you want a wheel that's essentially the same as your current one (which it seems you do and just costs a bit more) get something built onto CK R45s.
Or look at someone like Wheelsmith for an 40mm or so deep rim (23mm width) on the best hubs you can afford.

Avatar
Al'76 [110 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Was looking at wheels recently and, pretty much, came to the conclusion that Shimano Dura-Ace C35 are the best all round option - available on line for just a smidge over your budget.
Sadly, pockets not quite that deep, so went for a set of Racing Zeros which I'm really rather happy with...
BTW, if you can & it makes you happy then why not?

Avatar
Old Cranky [257 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Ignore those Trolls.

If you already have the RS80 (presumably C50), then I can recommend the RS81 (C35) and if your budget goes far enough, then the C24 (Ultegra or Dura Ace hubs) are excellent light weight wheels.

Avatar
Cyclist [295 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
PJ McNally wrote:

It's an unfortunate tendency nowadays online, to label anyone with a different opinion as a troll.

I was merely trying to point out that if one has £1000 to blow, there are plenty of better uses.

If we all gave just 10% of our income (and kept the other 90% to spend on ourselves), to the most efficient charities or good causes, we could solve many of the world's problems.

Personally my spending on bike stuff comes second to my giving.

Fantastic, and I commend you. But I am an exceedingly hard working individual who loves me time and shiny stuff and against your personal and possible political views which should not be on here btw, I am a selfish MF'r and will spend MY money on what I want and that is shiny stuff excellent suits and ridiculously priced holidays, for nothing other than pure indulgence. Nice.
As for everyone else thanks very much greatly appreciated, time to surf again. Thanks

Avatar
Cyclist [295 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Old Cranky wrote:

Ignore those Trolls.

If you already have the RS80 (presumably C50), then I can recommend the RS81 (C35) and if your budget goes far enough, then the C24 (Ultegra or Dura Ace hubs) are excellent light weight wheels.

No I have the RS80 c24s, great wheelset, that's what has held me back from getting a new set as these are just that good... C35s are in my top 5... Are they that good?
I have been toying with fulcrum red passions? Planet X is always drawing me back and the price of the carbon sercofs are TGTBT... Question is, are they?

Deep rims don't really appeal ( look great of course) but I don' do Tri or TT so no real use to me... I have a number of trips booked next year for the Mnts, the tourmalet - ventoux and the le Marmotte, wiggle Dragon ride so good climbers and descenders are needed... That's why I am erring towards carbo/alu clinchers, better longevity.

Avatar
Cyclist [295 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Shanefutcher wrote:

Don't buy upgrades,ride upgrades

Or both.

Avatar
Old Cranky [257 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

If you go for another wheel type then the chances are you will have to re-adjust your brakes and rear derailleur whenever you swap the wheels around. I don't have that problem with the C50, C35 and C24 wheels.

Avatar
arrieredupeleton [576 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Have you recently given up golf?

Avatar
ajmarshal1 [411 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Handbuilt: Pacenti SL23 on Chris King R45 with Sapim Xray. You can thank me later.

Avatar
PJ McNally [591 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Cyclist wrote:

But I am an exceedingly hard working individual who loves me time and shiny stuff and against your personal and possible political views which should not be on here btw, I am a selfish MF'r and will spend MY money on what I want and that is shiny stuff excellent suits and ridiculously priced holidays, for nothing other than pure indulgence. Nice.
As for everyone else thanks very much greatly appreciated, time to surf again. Thanks

Fair enough.

Maybe try spending 90% of your money on stuff for yourself, and 10% on making the world a better place?

That's what I do. Doesn't even sound all that virtuous, put that way. But it makes a massive difference.

Interesting that i don't think I've ever made the effort to mention charity, on any other "help me buy a thing" thread.

Why is that, I wonder? Perhaps it's the title, or the sentiment - I've £999.99, help me spend it.

Usually people start by describing what riding they do, then move on to asking what they might need to spend, to have a good time.

I've not come across your approach before, except perhaps at lower price points - "help me choose a road bike under £500", for example. Once you're beyond that, I don't know if picking a number to spend is a good strategy.

Avatar
thebungle [103 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
PJ McNally wrote:

It's an unfortunate tendency nowadays online, to label anyone with a different opinion as a troll.

I was merely trying to point out that if one has £1000 to blow, there are plenty of better uses.

If we all gave just 10% of our income (and kept the other 90% to spend on ourselves), to the most efficient charities or good causes, we could solve many of the world's problems.

Personally my spending on bike stuff comes second to my giving.

How do you know he doesn't?

Bravo that you give to charity but I really don't think it's something that you should be drawing attention to.

OP> I'd be buying a set of hand builts if I were you, most likely on CK hubs, pics when built please.

Avatar
PJ McNally [591 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

thebungle, I'd suggest that people keeping quiet about their charity giving is a big part of the problem.

Many people think it's not normal to give to charity, or just don't think about it much if at all.

It's important to speak up and be counted, to normalize it; it's not something you have to do in secret!

Avatar
thebungle [103 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
PJ McNally wrote:

thebungle, I'd suggest that people keeping quiet about their charity giving is a big part of the problem.

Many people think it's not normal to give to charity, or just don't think about it much if at all.

It's important to speak up and be counted, to normalize it; it's not something you have to do in secret!

A 'what wheels' thread is not the place to voice those opinions so on that note 'I'm Oot'.

I sincerely doubt if the OP's budget was £99 you would've piped up.