Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Relieving turbo boredom

Though I'd start to share videos that I've started to use from YouTube to make time on the rollers a bit more interesting.

Only used one so farm but found I worked far harder during this session than watching iPlayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFYRiqodvU

As I find more (got one lined up for this evening but would like to use it before recommending it...) I'll add them to the list

Does anyone else have any favourites that you can recommend?

Andrew

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

keith roberts | 10 years ago
0 likes

The tri club I belong to has a structured turbo session every week,twice a week if you want it...never boring with other people around and the coaches keep you on your toes...as well as watching your own heartrate,cadence,smooth pedalling and good technique..so a club set is a really good way of training,plus you cant hide! bet there are cycling clubs that do the same sort of sets....
training on my own, I tend to just get the pumping tunes on and get on with it...you'll never get better if you don't work hard..

louear | 10 years ago
0 likes

another vote for the TrainerRoad or the Trainer Road + Sufferfest combo.

cavasta | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Trainer Road

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

*You should always be going so hard that you physically cannot address your boredom.*

Entirely false, but hey...

Good music (for an hour or less), or a film (or two) should be all you need, but TrainerRoad is good too.

lard | 10 years ago
0 likes

Here's another one - no on-screen timer or advanced warning of the next effort.

If you can stick with the one legged sessions then you're more of a man than me! One legged on rollers certainly keeps you concentrating.

Not the most inspiring commentary but being focused and disciplined soon makes the hour fly by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80XwjsL-OY

There are at least two more videos on this guy's feed, the following has no sound but makes you work for 100 mins: (ignore the dodgy edit from crit riding to regular training at 85 mins!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26By075MnQ

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

Since i've not been able to find the sufferfest videos for free on the internet yet, I stick to 'drinking game' favourites eg Star Wars instead of downing a shot you simply 'interval' when you see a Tie Fighter/Light Saber etc.

It's not scientific but at least you get to watch a half decent movie of your choice.

cavasta | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got enough on my mind concentrating on my cadence, pedalling technique, breathing and general effort to keep me occupied.

JediNeo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sufferfest for me too. I can occasionally ride the rollers with just music in my ears, but the Sufferfest gives you a much more satisfying ride  1

fukawitribe replied to JediNeo | 10 years ago
0 likes
JediNeo wrote:

Sufferfest for me too. I can occasionally ride the rollers with just music in my ears, but the Sufferfest gives you a much more satisfying ride  1

10% off videos,gift certificates and training plans at the moment (Black Friday sale) - use code SUFGIVING in the coupon box.

sorebones | 10 years ago
0 likes

By a set of rollers instead - losing focus not an option!

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

You should always be going so hard that you physically cannot address your boredom.

Otherwise R4 podcasts. Better than trance music any day.

Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Might try this one - need to substitute that music for something of my own though...

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sufferfest, no question. Once you start on those videos you'll never go back to anything else.

fukawitribe replied to ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes
ajmarshal1 wrote:

Sufferfest, no question. Once you start on those videos you'll never go back to anything else.

Second this - especially coupled with TrainerRoad (or something similar with either power metering or some sort of power estimate) so you can't kid yourself about the effort.

edster99 replied to ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes
ajmarshal1 wrote:

absolutely. they are fantastic.

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

train harder, I honestly find if I train 'properly' on mine I don't get the boredom.

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use this place http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/ quite a lot and have created some pretty brutal routines.

If you are wifi'd up and using a laptop to keep you moving then this is a great site.

Latest Comments