Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike repair stand

Looking for a workshop bike repair stand that if possible is portable.

Anyone got any recommendations for ones they have/use?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
1 like

+1 for the Aldi 'Bikemate' stand. Very solid.  Don't recall it coming with a wall mount though, maybe that's a new addition.

Not currently listed online though, so you'll either need to have a rummage in your local stores or wait for their next cycling 'specialbuy' event (and even then its not guaranteed to be one of the items offered).

Batchy replied to CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

+1 for the Aldi 'Bikemate' stand. Very solid.  Don't recall it coming with a wall mount though, maybe that's a new addition.

Not currently listed online though, so you'll either need to have a rummage in your local stores or wait for their next cycling 'specialbuy' event (and even then its not guaranteed to be one of the items offered).

Yep me too. I have an Aldi Bikemate work stand and it is superb considering it cost me less than 20quid !

kenyond | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ive got the Aldi one at £25 it was a bargain, 25kg so you could throw it in the back of a car but currently lives in the corner of my living room holding the bike (I live in a flat) it also has a wall mounting system which was pretty cool 

gthornton101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got the Elite Spindoctor Essential, picked it up second hand off eBay for about £30.

Not exactly portable, but easy enough to take out the garage and set up in my garden.  Simple to use, solid and stable.  Folds flat when done.  It's basic but does the job very well for me.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mine's a simple Minoura DS-30AL. It's really a display stand meant to prop up your bike's rear QR skewer. As the wheel is a couple inches off the ground, though, it's very easy to use it for checking your derailleur indexing.

With the use of a wall, I can rotate the bike upward and lean it on the wall by its brake hoods. That enables access to the bottom of the bike and frees the front wheel as well.

When not needed, it folds flat for storage. Not as compact as, say, a Topeak Flash Stand, but very effective.

brooksby | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got one by a company called Black Dog. Is great, and wasn't too expensive. I over-torqued a nut on it and cracked the plastic, but it still happily holds my bike up off the ground so I can do stuff.

zzgavin | 10 years ago
0 likes

Two suggestions at different ends of the spectrum.
The topeak flash stand is about £25 quid and is perfect for fitting a rear wheel or sorting out indexing. Sits under the BB and lifts the wheel up enough.
For more major work the Park Tools PCS-10 is solid and stands up to regular bike washing and being bumped around the house, you can also fit the ts-25 wheel truing stand to it, so it's kind of good value...

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have the revolution one from Edinburgh cycles. I picked it up cheap in the sales, a couple of years ago. No complaints so far.

joemmo replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

I have the revolution one from Edinburgh cycles. I picked it up cheap in the sales, a couple of years ago. No complaints so far.

same here, sturdy, stable and does a great job. I think Ribble sell the same one with different branding

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bought the Lidl one (I think at the beginning of the summer?) and it's great for the price. 30 quid, I think it was - a tiny bit more fiddle than the expensive ones, I suspect, but it does the job very capably. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for it if you can wait. It weighs a lot though.

jova54 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for feedback guys.

I have a bike support/repair bracket that is similar to to top part of the Topeak stand but was designed to fit onto a Black and Decker workmate. It's about 20 years old and works pretty well but has a couple of shortfalls. The main problem apart from portability is that the gear cables on the down tube can get pinched and you spend ages faffing with the fine adjustment to get the index sorted.

When I said 'portable', I should have said collapsible and something I can chuck in the back of the car.

Looks like some of those above should fit the bill so time to add them to the Christmas list  4

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if its Aldi or Lidl but both my dad and brother have bought the stand they sell. Its perfect for everyday cleaning and repair jobs.

The only problem is that they dont come up for sale to often.

ed66 replied to Stumps | 7 years ago
0 likes

AWPeleton wrote:

Not sure if its Aldi or Lidl but both my dad and brother have bought the stand they sell. Its perfect for everyday cleaning and repair jobs. The only problem is that they dont come up for sale to often.

Been looking for a stand for a while and procrastinating over some of the prices. Just picked up the Aldi bikemate, there's been a few in the sale bins since at least Thursday. Very sturdy,  can be used on top tube or seat stem, magnetic tool holder, telescopic handlebar bracket, wall brackets to use it to double up as a wall stand and/or for storage, and a 3 year guarantee..!  

It's not what you would call portable, but could easily go in car boot and is ideal for your garage.

I'm more than happy to attach my £2k carbon wilier to it and what I've saved has gone in my wheel upgrade fund.

If you don't have a stand and want/need one (like me), buy one of these until you decide to blow a lot more on one. The thing is, you may never need to.

Oh, the price.....£16.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Depends what you mean by portable.

I have the "Bike Tool Aluminium Workstand" from Ribble which cost me fifty quid. It's light and folds neatly, but I'd be unlikely to stick it in a rucksack and take it on a tour. It's ideal for slinging in the back of the car though.

It's adjustable and strong enough to cope with 99% of maintenance and bike build jobs. I have taken the bike off the workstand to set about sticky bottom brackets, but it's coped with everything else.

ped | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a Topeak PrepStand Max: http://www.topeak.com/products/repair-stands/prepstandmax

Rather than holding the bike out from one side like some stands (the aforementioned Minoura for example), the bike sits atop the Topeak, with a cradle supporting the downtube before hooking under the bottom bracket, a threaded hook then holds the bike tight against the cradle. This hook can slide up and down the cradle so as to avoid bottle cages or whatever. While this is perhaps a little clunky compared to a clamp, having the weight of the bike push down on the stand actually helps keep things steady.

There's a fair range of height adjustment, lockable with a quick release handle, making it easy to lift or drop the bike up to a comfortable working position. You can also spin it around to get to the other side if need be.

There are grooves in the supporting cradle so that cables aren't squashed up the downtube and have a clear run to the back of the bike. The bottom bracket cable guide on one of my bikes doesn't sit perfectly in the cradle, but this doesn't seem to affect being able to tweak gears.

Although the stand's name alludes to it being for bike preparation, I've used it for multiple full bike builds without issue.

It folds down into a bag similar in size to those folding chairs you see everywhere. Certainly small enough to be left kicking around the back of my car, and definitely small and light enough to be classed as portable.

It's perhaps not as slick or sturdy as a 'proper' workshop stand, but I'd thoroughly recommend it for portable tinkering and more.

racingcondor | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't think any of them are 'tuck it under your arm' portable, they weigh a lot which is good because it helps stop them falling over. No problem in a car boot or taking it from a flat to a garden though.

I've got a Minoura 1000 which was about £80 and works very well for mechanical work and cleaning the bike.

Latest Comments