Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultimate winter glove

Having had a torrid time with some specialized sub zero lobster claw gloves this morning I'm in pursuit of the ultimate winter glove. So many gloves billed as waterproof turn out not to be if customer reviews are to be believed. And many winter gloves seem to be good down to only 0 degrees. What about when it's -5 with wind chill?

I'm after a glove that:

Is waterproof for a club run/4 hour ride or as close to that as possible
Wind proof
Good down to below zero temps
At least some padding on the palms
Reflective detailing somewhere (not a deal breaker tho)
NOT a lobster claw!

Does such a thing exist?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

Neil753 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use a pair of German army surplus leather gloves, together with some wool inner gloves. Really comfortable, ultra cheap, and good down to around -3c. I carry some cheap unlined waterproof overmitts, just in case of rain, and have used the complete combination successfully at -27c.

ragtimecyclist replied to Neil753 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Surgical gloves is a new one on me, sounds like a great tip.

Swami Dave | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have these at the minute which are waterproof and good to zero:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-countdown-gore-tex-mtb-gloves-1/

Stick some liners on and I've had them down to -5. The black silk liners that Decathlon do are fantastic.

Swami Dave replied to Swami Dave | 10 years ago
0 likes
Swami Dave wrote:

I have these at the minute which are waterproof and good to zero:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-countdown-gore-tex-mtb-gloves-1/

Stick some liners on and I've had them down to -5. The black silk liners that Decathlon do are fantastic.

Scratch that. Had them on for a 2hr ride in the rain today and they were sodden by the end.

stuke | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm currently using Craft's Siberian glove and really impressed. It was -4 on Saturday and my hands felt fine, any lower and I'll just add some liners which should be fine down to minus ten or so. I've yet to find a truly waterproof glove as water will run down your sleeves and in through the cuff but as long as they stay warm when they're wet that's fine with me.

landdnl replied to stuke | 10 years ago
0 likes
stuke wrote:

I'm currently using Craft's Siberian glove and really impressed. It was -4 on Saturday and my hands felt fine, any lower and I'll just add some liners which should be fine down to minus ten or so. I've yet to find a truly waterproof glove as water will run down your sleeves and in through the cuff but as long as they stay warm when they're wet that's fine with me.

This is my go to glove from 45c to 0c. With a Gore or Pearl liner I'm down to -5c(for an hour). These aren't exactly for Siberian type weather, but the best compromise I know of for dexterity/warmth.

I haven't read many of the responses, but I think Bar Mitts http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-rDsh5%2BiL.jpg would be the best solution for a 4 hour ride. That way you're waterproof and windproof. Add a pair of moderately warm softshell gloves and you're good to go. Many of the noncycling gloves mentioned will make your hands sweat. Gloves with long cuffs are much better for warmth. I.E. Craft Siberian Gloves. If you have a stretchy jacket, pull the sleeves over the gloves rather than tucking the sleeves inside the gloves. That way your body warmth is less likely to escape at the sleeve/glove interface.

As far as the lobster glove is concerned, I detested mine last year because shifting was a major issue. Today, I took the 5mm spacer out of my shimano ultegra shifters so I have more clearance between the front of my drops to the back of my shift lever, thereby making more room for my lobster claw. I rode 3 hours today and shifting was greatly improved, though not perfect. When it gets down to -10c, I will use my Gore xenon softshell glove as a liner. My Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Softshell Lobster glove is a size XL and my Gore Xenon Softshell glove is a size L, which is my normal size. If I really want to maximize the warmth, I can still put in a glove liner.

Tips to keep hands warmer:

Make sure your core is plenty warm. If it isn't blood will concentrate more around your core meaning less circulation to your finger tips.

75% of heat loss is through the head and neck area. Close the vent with a Merino Wool Balaclava: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71fi2fqHXzL._SL1500_.jpg Add a helmet cover like Gore or Sugoi to keep water out and warmth in. Or use a outer shell with detachable helmet hood cover: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/data/uploads/products/290_290/11131008_027.jpg

Don't eat anything 2 hours before your ride. Blood will concentrate around digesting food. But on a 4 hour club ride you'll need a power bar or 2 along the way.

Make sure your extremities are warm before you go out. If you start your club ride early in the morning, maybe do some calisthenics before hand to ensure you have good circulation. Your body temperature is usually almost 1 degree cooler in the morning when you get up.

This may sound a little silly, but keeping your bladder empty will help. Urine is warmed to 36.8 degrees. This excess energy could then be used to help warm the extremeties.

And last, but not least, when you close your velcro wrist strap, or whatever, don't tighten it too tight lest you impede the blood flow to your fingers.

Just remember, when the core is warm, excess warmth can be sent to the extremeties. Your vital organs are in your core. That is why the core takes priority over other parts of the body when it comes to heat supply. Use your hands as vents, not your head and neck.

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just found the CASTELLI ESTREMO GLOVE, £50 but good down to -5 apparently. Not waterproof though! As long as wind is kept out and fingers stay warm that's not the end of the world I suppose

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

None of the rapha ones are waterpoof apart from the lobster option.

I think seal skinz or northwave arctic evo are the most promising options so far.

paulrbarnard | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm tempted by the Rapha layer-able gloves. The ultimate one is lobster claw but you might not need to go that far... I currently wear a pair of Specialized radiant which are not too bad, certainly seem water tight to date and reasonably warm, but I feel the need for a bit more protection on the winter commutes.

Peter B | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've found these to work well, and are still going strong in their third winter of use: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-waterproof-winter-cycle-gloves

Colin Peyresourde replied to Peter B | 10 years ago
0 likes
Peter B wrote:

I've found these to work well, and are still going strong in their third winter of use: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-waterproof-winter-cycle-gloves

+1 - I have these. Though I seem to remember my hands still got wet from water running down my waterproof and into my gloves though. I think 4 hours of rain is likely to of that to any glove.

othello | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use a ski glove in the winter. Doesn't win me any style points, but my hands are never cold. Usually have enough room inside that if I want to wear a thin inner I can too, though very rarely feel the need.

fluffy_mike replied to othello | 10 years ago
0 likes

ditto - I hate cold hands and ski gloves are the only ones I've found that keep me riding comfortably all winter. Have a pair of modestly priced ones from Decathlon that are in their third winter. One of the best cycling accessories I've ever bought...

They're not waterproof, but then I don't do four-hour rides in winter if it's wet  1

Pages

Latest Comments