Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultimate winter glove

Having had a torrid time with some specialized sub zero lobster claw gloves this morning I'm in pursuit of the ultimate winter glove. So many gloves billed as waterproof turn out not to be if customer reviews are to be believed. And many winter gloves seem to be good down to only 0 degrees. What about when it's -5 with wind chill?

I'm after a glove that:

Is waterproof for a club run/4 hour ride or as close to that as possible
Wind proof
Good down to below zero temps
At least some padding on the palms
Reflective detailing somewhere (not a deal breaker tho)
NOT a lobster claw!

Does such a thing exist?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

I would love to see someone out wearing Marigold's. I imagine they'd also be wearing DIY safety goggles and a hollowed out watermelon for a helmet, riding a bike made of spoons.

Tested the castelli's this morning. Only about 4 degrees but they were well beyond toasty. They were practically lounging by a log fire with a copy of the Times, sipping brandy while the rest of me was exposed like a vulgar loon.

Will see what they're like when the next daily mail "killer-death freeze" arrives at the end of the week.

Adey | 10 years ago
0 likes

i can recommend Decathlon's neoprene gloves (for £23) - the downside is they make your hands sweat but i find the best thing is to turn them inside out and dry them on the rad - good value!!  41

Joshmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got:

Rapha winter gloves (1st gen) - Useless, not warm, not weather proof
Sealskinz ultra - Decent, Not water proof, but pretty warm and 1/3rd the price of the Raphas.

On Order

Castelli Estremo - will let you know.

Liking the surgical glove tactic!

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have Altura Night Vision Evo Waterproof Gloves. I think they are about 6 years old and they are still amazing. Waterproof, warm and very well made. 5 days a week riding in all winter conditions

landdnl replied to dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes
dunnoh wrote:

I have Altura Night Vision Evo Waterproof Gloves. I think they are about 6 years old and they are still amazing. Waterproof, warm and very well made. 5 days a week riding in all winter conditions

Waterproof? Really? I used mine once in a moderate rain shower with a temperature of 10c and my hands were soaked in an hour. At best, for the normal person, these can go down to 0c for about an hour. These have a narrow temperature range. For the price they're not bad, but not even close to waterproof. My Craft Siberian's and Gore Xenon Thermal softshell gloves don't advertise they're waterproof, but are 5 times more water resistant than Altura's. Wiggle customer reviews give this 4 out of 5 stars. I was just reading some of Wiggle's reviews, and most(about 80%), do say they're waterproof. Maybe I just got a defective pair.

dunnoh replied to landdnl | 10 years ago
0 likes
landdnl wrote:
dunnoh wrote:

Waterproof? Really? I used mine once in a moderate rain shower with a temperature of 10c and my hands were soaked in an hour. At best, for the normal person, these can go down to 0c for about an hour. These have a narrow temperature range. For the price they're not bad, but not even close to waterproof. My Craft Siberian's and Gore Xenon Thermal softshell gloves don't advertise they're waterproof, but are 5 times more water resistant than Altura's. Wiggle customer reviews give this 4 out of 5 stars. I was just reading some of Wiggle's reviews, and most(about 80%), do say they're waterproof. Maybe I just got a defective pair.

They arnt as good as they were as they have been through the washer umpteen times. I will buy another pair for sure. Maybe the quality now isnt as good as when I bought them? I was out in -2 the other morning and my hands were too hot if anything.

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

The best waterproof gloves are marigold washing up gloves go ver the top of existing ones, keep out the cold and the rain, cheap as chips

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm finding this years Aldi winter gloves very cosy, £4.99 and much warmer than the branded gloves I have with a RRP almost 10 times higher.

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

If anyone's tempted by these:

http://road.cc/content/review/71815-sealskinz-leather-road-cycle-gloves

Sport pursuit have them for £25 at the moment. Let me know if you want an invite and we can both get £5 voucher. Those gloves would be a bargain at £20 I reckon. Tempted to get a pair and send the castelli's back (again, haha). Got quite a few other SealSkinz gloves and hats on there at the moment.

Dr_Lex | 10 years ago
0 likes

Having used a pair of Pearl Izumi P.R.O. WxB Barrier gloves to keep my hands dry when apple washing over a weekend's cider-making, I can testify to their water-proof qualities. Alas, they are not insulated, and one would still have to contend with the chance of water running down sleeves/forearms and into the glove.

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's great to see how many different solutions there are to the problem!

Castelli gloves arrived. Too small (damn dainty Italians) but they feel very, very toasty. So hopefully when the larger size arrives they'll be up to the task.

Very interested in the surgical gloves option. I can't see it working for me. If I use them for much longer than 15 minutes when I'm working on the bike my hands get sweaty, even with the dusted ones. And even on the cold days on the bikes my palms still sweat so that would only be worse. I'll give it a go though.

Silk liners sound like a better option for old sweaty hands over here! Will give them a go too.

And if a roubaix winner is saying diving gloves are a good shout then they'll be my next port of call (excuse the pun) if the Castelli's fail me.

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Go for these: Altura Night Vision Waterproof Winter Cycling Gloves at Wiggle - brilliant hi viz jobbies (or black, if you prefer), but buy the a size above what you need and pop some tight fitting Decathlon black silk liners or Gore Air running gloves inside them for extra warmth.

But on a 4 hour run in the rain, you have to accept that water is gonna sneak in somewhere, or your hands are gonna just boil in their bags and end up like lobster claws!

Me, I just whack on the Assos Early Winter 851 Winter Cycling Gloves and ride it out. They're great. Not remotely waterproof, but they are easily the best gloves I've ever used - no matter what the weather does.

But this year, I may give Arrieredupeleton's surgical gloves on the inside of em a try!! Just to see...

SounDaz_7 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sealskinz All Weather Waterproof gloves, great in the cold but not waterproof.  2

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Interesting tweet from Magnus Backstedt this morning on this very subject....reckons dry suit gloves from your local diving store are the best solution he's found and they don't come with the "cycling" price tag. BTW I have Sealskinz All Weather Waterproof gloves and they're, well, not  20

rhodrigo27 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I will also second Surgical gloves, v cheap ! use them in winter / wet conditions for many outside activities! just make sure you get the right size! to small and you can easily get the blood cut off!

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Concur with the surgical glove approach. Get the powder filled ones though otherwise your hands sweat.

Adey | 10 years ago
0 likes

just bought the neoprene gloves from Decathlon for £23! not been able to try them yet though

peterben | 10 years ago
0 likes

Try silk liners, £3/4 on Amazon

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Castelli, Rapha, Spesh? Pah. 5 quid Aldi gloves and if it's really cold: the secret ingredient - surgical gloves. Totally waterproof and keep you toasty warm! A tip given to me second hand from a French guy who rides a lot in the alps

chrismday replied to arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Castelli, Rapha, Spesh? Pah. 5 quid Aldi gloves and if it's really cold: the secret ingredient - surgical gloves. Totally waterproof and keep you toasty warm! A tip given to me second hand from a French guy who rides a lot in the alps

Do you wear the surgical gloves inside the normal gloves or on the outside?

arrieredupeleton replied to chrismday | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrismday wrote:
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Inside. Unless I have really expensive gloves on I don't want to get wet  3 Or if I plan on doing a bit of surgery...

arrieredupeleton replied to chrismday | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrismday wrote:
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Inside. Unless I have really expensive gloves on I don't want to get wet  3 Or if I plan on doing a bit of surgery...

pique | 10 years ago
0 likes

ex-US airforce mitts off the market (but I've seen them on ebay) - they're like gauntlets with a felt inner and furry outer. Look ridiculous but well worth it.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Deep heat. No gloves.

Mr Jono replied to Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Deep heat. No gloves.

Oh yeah, shit, forgot all about that. Will cancel the order and HTFU with some deep heat!

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gone for the castelli estremo. Will let you know how they fare when they arrive and I've tested them in sub-zero. It'll probably be wet and mild until spring now...

step-hent replied to Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes
Mr Jono wrote:

Gone for the castelli estremo. Will let you know how they fare when they arrive and I've tested them in sub-zero. It'll probably be wet and mild until spring now...

If so, I'd consider that to be £50 well spent!

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wetsuit type gloves are good. I have the Castelli Dilluvio Deluxe. Warm when its dry, not remotely breathable so prune hands are a certainty. However, they do act like a wetsuit so even when p*ss wet through they are lovely and warm. I've not used them in subzero temperatures, and don't know how they'd do with liners, but I've been toasty as low as 1/2 degrees so colder wouldn't trouble them I don't think

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

My 'Ultimate' winter glove for when it is just one of those very wet, very cold misery days turned out to be an experiment wearing my Wetsuit gloves.

The closest thing I've got made specifically for cycling are 'Fox Anti-Freeze', but eventually I will get cold fingers wearing those.

philtregear | 10 years ago
0 likes

cheap ski gloves from sports direct or lidl

Pages

Latest Comments