Home

Having had a torrid time with some specialized sub zero lobster claw gloves this morning I'm in pursuit of the ultimate winter glove. So many gloves billed as waterproof turn out not to be if customer reviews are to be believed. And many winter gloves seem to be good down to only 0 degrees. What about when it's -5 with wind chill?

I'm after a glove that:

Is waterproof for a club run/4 hour ride or as close to that as possible
Wind proof
Good down to below zero temps
At least some padding on the palms
Reflective detailing somewhere (not a deal breaker tho)
NOT a lobster claw!

Does such a thing exist?

43 comments

othello [392 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I use a ski glove in the winter. Doesn't win me any style points, but my hands are never cold. Usually have enough room inside that if I want to wear a thin inner I can too, though very rarely feel the need.

Peter B [6 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I've found these to work well, and are still going strong in their third winter of use: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-waterproof-winter-cycle-gloves

paulrbarnard [182 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm tempted by the Rapha layer-able gloves. The ultimate one is lobster claw but you might not need to go that far... I currently wear a pair of Specialized radiant which are not too bad, certainly seem water tight to date and reasonably warm, but I feel the need for a bit more protection on the winter commutes.

Mr Jono [102 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

None of the rapha ones are waterpoof apart from the lobster option.

I think seal skinz or northwave arctic evo are the most promising options so far.

0 likes

Just found the CASTELLI ESTREMO GLOVE, £50 but good down to -5 apparently. Not waterproof though! As long as wind is kept out and fingers stay warm that's not the end of the world I suppose

stuke [335 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm currently using Craft's Siberian glove and really impressed. It was -4 on Saturday and my hands felt fine, any lower and I'll just add some liners which should be fine down to minus ten or so. I've yet to find a truly waterproof glove as water will run down your sleeves and in through the cuff but as long as they stay warm when they're wet that's fine with me.

Swami Dave [56 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I have these at the minute which are waterproof and good to zero:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-countdown-gore-tex-mtb-gloves-1/

Stick some liners on and I've had them down to -5. The black silk liners that Decathlon do are fantastic.

Neil753 [447 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I use a pair of German army surplus leather gloves, together with some wool inner gloves. Really comfortable, ultra cheap, and good down to around -3c. I carry some cheap unlined waterproof overmitts, just in case of rain, and have used the complete combination successfully at -27c.

philtregear [121 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

cheap ski gloves from sports direct or lidl

William Black [193 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

My 'Ultimate' winter glove for when it is just one of those very wet, very cold misery days turned out to be an experiment wearing my Wetsuit gloves.

The closest thing I've got made specifically for cycling are 'Fox Anti-Freeze', but eventually I will get cold fingers wearing those.

pdows47 [103 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Wetsuit type gloves are good. I have the Castelli Dilluvio Deluxe. Warm when its dry, not remotely breathable so prune hands are a certainty. However, they do act like a wetsuit so even when p*ss wet through they are lovely and warm. I've not used them in subzero temperatures, and don't know how they'd do with liners, but I've been toasty as low as 1/2 degrees so colder wouldn't trouble them I don't think

Colin Peyresourde [1811 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Peter B wrote:

I've found these to work well, and are still going strong in their third winter of use: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-waterproof-winter-cycle-gloves

+1 - I have these. Though I seem to remember my hands still got wet from water running down my waterproof and into my gloves though. I think 4 hours of rain is likely to of that to any glove.

0 likes

Gone for the castelli estremo. Will let you know how they fare when they arrive and I've tested them in sub-zero. It'll probably be wet and mild until spring now...

Raleigh [1667 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Deep heat. No gloves.

0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Deep heat. No gloves.

Oh yeah, shit, forgot all about that. Will cancel the order and HTFU with some deep heat!

step-hent [723 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Mr Jono wrote:

Gone for the castelli estremo. Will let you know how they fare when they arrive and I've tested them in sub-zero. It'll probably be wet and mild until spring now...

If so, I'd consider that to be £50 well spent!

pique [20 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

ex-US airforce mitts off the market (but I've seen them on ebay) - they're like gauntlets with a felt inner and furry outer. Look ridiculous but well worth it.

fluffy_mike [103 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

ditto - I hate cold hands and ski gloves are the only ones I've found that keep me riding comfortably all winter. Have a pair of modestly priced ones from Decathlon that are in their third winter. One of the best cycling accessories I've ever bought...

They're not waterproof, but then I don't do four-hour rides in winter if it's wet  1

arrieredupeleton [580 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Castelli, Rapha, Spesh? Pah. 5 quid Aldi gloves and if it's really cold: the secret ingredient - surgical gloves. Totally waterproof and keep you toasty warm! A tip given to me second hand from a French guy who rides a lot in the alps

chrismday [50 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Castelli, Rapha, Spesh? Pah. 5 quid Aldi gloves and if it's really cold: the secret ingredient - surgical gloves. Totally waterproof and keep you toasty warm! A tip given to me second hand from a French guy who rides a lot in the alps

Do you wear the surgical gloves inside the normal gloves or on the outside?

0 likes
chrismday wrote:
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Inside. Unless I have really expensive gloves on I don't want to get wet  3 Or if I plan on doing a bit of surgery...

0 likes
chrismday wrote:
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Inside. Unless I have really expensive gloves on I don't want to get wet  3 Or if I plan on doing a bit of surgery...

peterben [66 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Try silk liners, £3/4 on Amazon

Adey [86 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

just bought the neoprene gloves from Decathlon for £23! not been able to try them yet though

Stumps [3464 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Concur with the surgical glove approach. Get the powder filled ones though otherwise your hands sweat.

ragtimecyclist [160 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Surgical gloves is a new one on me, sounds like a great tip.

rhodrigo27 [17 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I will also second Surgical gloves, v cheap ! use them in winter / wet conditions for many outside activities! just make sure you get the right size! to small and you can easily get the blood cut off!

Al'76 [110 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Interesting tweet from Magnus Backstedt this morning on this very subject....reckons dry suit gloves from your local diving store are the best solution he's found and they don't come with the "cycling" price tag. BTW I have Sealskinz All Weather Waterproof gloves and they're, well, not  20

SounDaz_7 [48 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Sealskinz All Weather Waterproof gloves, great in the cold but not waterproof.  2

Swami Dave [56 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Swami Dave wrote:

I have these at the minute which are waterproof and good to zero:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-countdown-gore-tex-mtb-gloves-1/

Stick some liners on and I've had them down to -5. The black silk liners that Decathlon do are fantastic.

Scratch that. Had them on for a 2hr ride in the rain today and they were sodden by the end.

Pages