Ultimate winter glove

by Mr Jono   November 20, 2013  

Having had a torrid time with some specialized sub zero lobster claw gloves this morning I'm in pursuit of the ultimate winter glove. So many gloves billed as waterproof turn out not to be if customer reviews are to be believed. And many winter gloves seem to be good down to only 0 degrees. What about when it's -5 with wind chill?

I'm after a glove that:

Is waterproof for a club run/4 hour ride or as close to that as possible
Wind proof
Good down to below zero temps
At least some padding on the palms
Reflective detailing somewhere (not a deal breaker tho)
NOT a lobster claw!

Does such a thing exist?

42 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Gone for the castelli estremo. Will let you know how they fare when they arrive and I've tested them in sub-zero. It'll probably be wet and mild until spring now...

I'm so lazy I'd rather order something off Wiggle than go to the shops for Haribo...

posted by Mr Jono [90 posts]
21st November 2013 - 18:58

like this
Like (5)

Deep heat. No gloves.

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1728 posts]
21st November 2013 - 20:21

like this
Like (6)

Raleigh wrote:
Deep heat. No gloves.

Oh yeah, shit, forgot all about that. Will cancel the order and HTFU with some deep heat!

I'm so lazy I'd rather order something off Wiggle than go to the shops for Haribo...

21st November 2013 - 20:59

like this
Like (6)

Mr Jono wrote:
Gone for the castelli estremo. Will let you know how they fare when they arrive and I've tested them in sub-zero. It'll probably be wet and mild until spring now...

If so, I'd consider that to be £50 well spent!

posted by step-hent [644 posts]
22nd November 2013 - 15:38

like this
Like (7)

ex-US airforce mitts off the market (but I've seen them on ebay) - they're like gauntlets with a felt inner and furry outer. Look ridiculous but well worth it.

posted by pique [18 posts]
22nd November 2013 - 21:53

like this
Like (5)

ditto - I hate cold hands and ski gloves are the only ones I've found that keep me riding comfortably all winter. Have a pair of modestly priced ones from Decathlon that are in their third winter. One of the best cycling accessories I've ever bought...

They're not waterproof, but then I don't do four-hour rides in winter if it's wet Smile

posted by fluffy_mike [79 posts]
23rd November 2013 - 3:40

like this
Like (6)

Castelli, Rapha, Spesh? Pah. 5 quid Aldi gloves and if it's really cold: the secret ingredient - surgical gloves. Totally waterproof and keep you toasty warm! A tip given to me second hand from a French guy who rides a lot in the alps

arrieredupeleton

posted by arrieredupeleton [536 posts]
23rd November 2013 - 9:26

like this
Like (8)

arrieredupeleton wrote:
Castelli, Rapha, Spesh? Pah. 5 quid Aldi gloves and if it's really cold: the secret ingredient - surgical gloves. Totally waterproof and keep you toasty warm! A tip given to me second hand from a French guy who rides a lot in the alps

Do you wear the surgical gloves inside the normal gloves or on the outside?

posted by chrismday [49 posts]
23rd November 2013 - 9:57

like this
Like (4)

chrismday wrote:
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Do you wear the surgical gloves inside the normal gloves or on the outside?

Inside. Unless I have really expensive gloves on I don't want to get wet Wink Or if I plan on doing a bit of surgery...

arrieredupeleton

posted by arrieredupeleton [536 posts]
23rd November 2013 - 19:34

like this
Like (5)

Try silk liners, £3/4 on Amazon

posted by peterben [29 posts]
24th November 2013 - 18:43

like this
Like (6)

just bought the neoprene gloves from Decathlon for £23! not been able to try them yet though

posted by Adey [98 posts]
24th November 2013 - 18:55

like this
Like (6)

Concur with the surgical glove approach. Get the powder filled ones though otherwise your hands sweat.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2643 posts]
24th November 2013 - 21:53

like this
Like (5)

Surgical gloves is a new one on me, sounds like a great tip.

ragtimecyclist's picture

posted by ragtimecyclist [117 posts]
24th November 2013 - 22:07

like this
Like (6)

I will also second Surgical gloves, v cheap ! use them in winter / wet conditions for many outside activities! just make sure you get the right size! to small and you can easily get the blood cut off!

posted by rhodrigo27 [5 posts]
25th November 2013 - 16:43

like this
Like (6)

Interesting tweet from Magnus Backstedt this morning on this very subject....reckons dry suit gloves from your local diving store are the best solution he's found and they don't come with the "cycling" price tag. BTW I have Sealskinz All Weather Waterproof gloves and they're, well, not Crying

posted by Al'76 [126 posts]
26th November 2013 - 17:15

like this
Like (5)

Sealskinz All Weather Waterproof gloves, great in the cold but not waterproof. Sad

SounDaz_7's picture

posted by SounDaz_7 [48 posts]
26th November 2013 - 21:10

like this
Like (5)

Swami Dave wrote:
I have these at the minute which are waterproof and good to zero:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-countdown-gore-tex-mtb-gloves-1/

Stick some liners on and I've had them down to -5. The black silk liners that Decathlon do are fantastic.

Scratch that. Had them on for a 2hr ride in the rain today and they were sodden by the end.

Swami Dave's picture

posted by Swami Dave [43 posts]
26th November 2013 - 22:49

like this
Like (9)

Go for these: Altura Night Vision Waterproof Winter Cycling Gloves at Wiggle - brilliant hi viz jobbies (or black, if you prefer), but buy the a size above what you need and pop some tight fitting Decathlon black silk liners or Gore Air running gloves inside them for extra warmth.

But on a 4 hour run in the rain, you have to accept that water is gonna sneak in somewhere, or your hands are gonna just boil in their bags and end up like lobster claws!

Me, I just whack on the Assos Early Winter 851 Winter Cycling Gloves and ride it out. They're great. Not remotely waterproof, but they are easily the best gloves I've ever used - no matter what the weather does.

But this year, I may give Arrieredupeleton's surgical gloves on the inside of em a try!! Just to see...

posted by comm88 [72 posts]
27th November 2013 - 1:03

like this
Like (4)

It's great to see how many different solutions there are to the problem!

Castelli gloves arrived. Too small (damn dainty Italians) but they feel very, very toasty. So hopefully when the larger size arrives they'll be up to the task.

Very interested in the surgical gloves option. I can't see it working for me. If I use them for much longer than 15 minutes when I'm working on the bike my hands get sweaty, even with the dusted ones. And even on the cold days on the bikes my palms still sweat so that would only be worse. I'll give it a go though.

Silk liners sound like a better option for old sweaty hands over here! Will give them a go too.

And if a roubaix winner is saying diving gloves are a good shout then they'll be my next port of call (excuse the pun) if the Castelli's fail me.

27th November 2013 - 10:36

like this
Like (3)

Having used a pair of Pearl Izumi P.R.O. WxB Barrier gloves to keep my hands dry when apple washing over a weekend's cider-making, I can testify to their water-proof qualities. Alas, they are not insulated, and one would still have to contend with the chance of water running down sleeves/forearms and into the glove.

posted by Dr_Lex [129 posts]
27th November 2013 - 14:30

like this
Like (4)

If anyone's tempted by these:

http://road.cc/content/review/71815-sealskinz-leather-road-cycle-gloves

Sport pursuit have them for £25 at the moment. Let me know if you want an invite and we can both get £5 voucher. Those gloves would be a bargain at £20 I reckon. Tempted to get a pair and send the castelli's back (again, haha). Got quite a few other SealSkinz gloves and hats on there at the moment.

28th November 2013 - 13:46

like this
Like (4)

I'm finding this years Aldi winter gloves very cosy, £4.99 and much warmer than the branded gloves I have with a RRP almost 10 times higher.

Crosshouses's picture

posted by Crosshouses [168 posts]
29th November 2013 - 15:56

like this
Like (4)

The best waterproof gloves are marigold washing up gloves go ver the top of existing ones, keep out the cold and the rain, cheap as chips

posted by issacforce [203 posts]
29th November 2013 - 21:48

like this
Like (5)

I have Altura Night Vision Evo Waterproof Gloves. I think they are about 6 years old and they are still amazing. Waterproof, warm and very well made. 5 days a week riding in all winter conditions

posted by dunnoh [166 posts]
29th November 2013 - 22:18

like this
Like (3)

stuke wrote:
I'm currently using Craft's Siberian glove and really impressed. It was -4 on Saturday and my hands felt fine, any lower and I'll just add some liners which should be fine down to minus ten or so. I've yet to find a truly waterproof glove as water will run down your sleeves and in through the cuff but as long as they stay warm when they're wet that's fine with me.

This is my go to glove from 45c to 0c. With a Gore or Pearl liner I'm down to -5c(for an hour). These aren't exactly for Siberian type weather, but the best compromise I know of for dexterity/warmth.

I haven't read many of the responses, but I think Bar Mitts http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-rDsh5%2BiL.jpg would be the best solution for a 4 hour ride. That way you're waterproof and windproof. Add a pair of moderately warm softshell gloves and you're good to go. Many of the noncycling gloves mentioned will make your hands sweat. Gloves with long cuffs are much better for warmth. I.E. Craft Siberian Gloves. If you have a stretchy jacket, pull the sleeves over the gloves rather than tucking the sleeves inside the gloves. That way your body warmth is less likely to escape at the sleeve/glove interface.

As far as the lobster glove is concerned, I detested mine last year because shifting was a major issue. Today, I took the 5mm spacer out of my shimano ultegra shifters so I have more clearance between the front of my drops to the back of my shift lever, thereby making more room for my lobster claw. I rode 3 hours today and shifting was greatly improved, though not perfect. When it gets down to -10c, I will use my Gore xenon softshell glove as a liner. My Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Softshell Lobster glove is a size XL and my Gore Xenon Softshell glove is a size L, which is my normal size. If I really want to maximize the warmth, I can still put in a glove liner.

Tips to keep hands warmer:

Make sure your core is plenty warm. If it isn't blood will concentrate more around your core meaning less circulation to your finger tips.

75% of heat loss is through the head and neck area. Close the vent with a Merino Wool Balaclava: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71fi2fqHXzL._SL1500_.jpg Add a helmet cover like Gore or Sugoi to keep water out and warmth in. Or use a outer shell with detachable helmet hood cover: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/data/uploads/products/290_290/11131008_027.jpg

Don't eat anything 2 hours before your ride. Blood will concentrate around digesting food. But on a 4 hour club ride you'll need a power bar or 2 along the way.

Make sure your extremities are warm before you go out. If you start your club ride early in the morning, maybe do some calisthenics before hand to ensure you have good circulation. Your body temperature is usually almost 1 degree cooler in the morning when you get up.

This may sound a little silly, but keeping your bladder empty will help. Urine is warmed to 36.8 degrees. This excess energy could then be used to help warm the extremeties.

And last, but not least, when you close your velcro wrist strap, or whatever, don't tighten it too tight lest you impede the blood flow to your fingers.

Just remember, when the core is warm, excess warmth can be sent to the extremeties. Your vital organs are in your core. That is why the core takes priority over other parts of the body when it comes to heat supply. Use your hands as vents, not your head and neck.

posted by landdnl [6 posts]
29th November 2013 - 23:04

like this
Like (5)

dunnoh wrote:
I have Altura Night Vision Evo Waterproof Gloves. I think they are about 6 years old and they are still amazing. Waterproof, warm and very well made. 5 days a week riding in all winter conditions

Waterproof? Really? I used mine once in a moderate rain shower with a temperature of 10c and my hands were soaked in an hour. At best, for the normal person, these can go down to 0c for about an hour. These have a narrow temperature range. For the price they're not bad, but not even close to waterproof. My Craft Siberian's and Gore Xenon Thermal softshell gloves don't advertise they're waterproof, but are 5 times more water resistant than Altura's. Wiggle customer reviews give this 4 out of 5 stars. I was just reading some of Wiggle's reviews, and most(about 80%), do say they're waterproof. Maybe I just got a defective pair.

posted by landdnl [6 posts]
29th November 2013 - 23:47

like this
Like (3)

Got:

Rapha winter gloves (1st gen) - Useless, not warm, not weather proof
Sealskinz ultra - Decent, Not water proof, but pretty warm and 1/3rd the price of the Raphas.

On Order

Castelli Estremo - will let you know.

Liking the surgical glove tactic!

posted by Joshmo [9 posts]
30th November 2013 - 1:14

like this
Like (3)

landdnl wrote:
dunnoh wrote:

Waterproof? Really? I used mine once in a moderate rain shower with a temperature of 10c and my hands were soaked in an hour. At best, for the normal person, these can go down to 0c for about an hour. These have a narrow temperature range. For the price they're not bad, but not even close to waterproof. My Craft Siberian's and Gore Xenon Thermal softshell gloves don't advertise they're waterproof, but are 5 times more water resistant than Altura's. Wiggle customer reviews give this 4 out of 5 stars. I was just reading some of Wiggle's reviews, and most(about 80%), do say they're waterproof. Maybe I just got a defective pair.

They arnt as good as they were as they have been through the washer umpteen times. I will buy another pair for sure. Maybe the quality now isnt as good as when I bought them? I was out in -2 the other morning and my hands were too hot if anything.

posted by dunnoh [166 posts]
30th November 2013 - 22:40

like this
Like (2)

i can recommend Decathlon's neoprene gloves (for £23) - the downside is they make your hands sweat but i find the best thing is to turn them inside out and dry them on the rad - good value!! Applause

posted by Adey [98 posts]
1st December 2013 - 16:45

like this
Like (2)

I would love to see someone out wearing Marigold's. I imagine they'd also be wearing DIY safety goggles and a hollowed out watermelon for a helmet, riding a bike made of spoons.

Tested the castelli's this morning. Only about 4 degrees but they were well beyond toasty. They were practically lounging by a log fire with a copy of the Times, sipping brandy while the rest of me was exposed like a vulgar loon.

Will see what they're like when the next daily mail "killer-death freeze" arrives at the end of the week.

2nd December 2013 - 10:49

like this
Like (3)