Anyone used 105/Tiagra brakes with MicroShift Shifters?

by dafyddp   November 18, 2013  

Hi
My winter bike (Forme Longcliffe 5.0) comes with Forme;s own brakes which aren't great. I was thinking of upgrading the whole calliper to Tiagra instead of just the brake blocks. Accoding to Planet X, they're only compatible with Shimano shifters though (the Forme users MicroShift) - any advice?

Ta

Dafydd

6 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

It depends on which generation caliper you are using, the newest ones do have a slightly modified cable pull ratio. My experience of Microshift/Shimano 105 (5600 model) goes like this:
Original setup, SRAM levers, 105 (5600) caliper=great feel, power and modulation
New setup, Microshift levers, same calipers and blocks=crap (especially when braking from the hoods)
Result: New SRAM levers, Microshit Centos levers in garage (make me a sensible offer if you want them, black, 10 speed, done about 600 miles).
I dont know how the newer generation Shimano calipers will be with your levers though.

posted by Welsh boy [132 posts]
18th November 2013 - 22:29

1 Like

Thanks. Think I might just suck'n'see...

dafyddp's picture

posted by dafyddp [160 posts]
19th November 2013 - 10:03

1 Like

If you're asking if shimano is comp. with MS levers then yes !

posted by yenrod [100 posts]
19th November 2013 - 21:58

1 Like

I would try just new brake pads first unless I was going to go for something substantially further upmarket tham Tiagra.

posted by mtbtomo [76 posts]
19th November 2013 - 23:14

2 Likes

I've got a Forme Rapide which (I think) is the predecessor to your bike and (I think) comes with the same groupset.

I tried a variety of different calipers (SRAM, Campag and Shimano) and had big issues getting any power and modulation. In the end I found that some Tektro R539s did the job absolutely perfectly, and they turned out to be a great upgrade. But yeah, there was a lot of trial and error.

posted by thelimopit [119 posts]
20th November 2013 - 10:30

5 Likes

thanks, folks - much appreciated.

dafyddp's picture

posted by dafyddp [160 posts]
20th November 2013 - 10:34

6 Likes