Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone used 105/Tiagra brakes with MicroShift Shifters?

Hi
My winter bike (Forme Longcliffe 5.0) comes with Forme;s own brakes which aren't great. I was thinking of upgrading the whole calliper to Tiagra instead of just the brake blocks. Accoding to Planet X, they're only compatible with Shimano shifters though (the Forme users MicroShift) - any advice?

Ta

Dafydd

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

dafyddp | 10 years ago
0 likes

thanks, folks - much appreciated.

Cheesyclimber | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Forme Rapide which (I think) is the predecessor to your bike and (I think) comes with the same groupset.

I tried a variety of different calipers (SRAM, Campag and Shimano) and had big issues getting any power and modulation. In the end I found that some Tektro R539s did the job absolutely perfectly, and they turned out to be a great upgrade. But yeah, there was a lot of trial and error.

mtbtomo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I would try just new brake pads first unless I was going to go for something substantially further upmarket tham Tiagra.

yenrod | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you're asking if shimano is comp. with MS levers then yes !

dafyddp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. Think I might just suck'n'see...

Welsh boy | 10 years ago
0 likes

It depends on which generation caliper you are using, the newest ones do have a slightly modified cable pull ratio. My experience of Microshift/Shimano 105 (5600 model) goes like this:
Original setup, SRAM levers, 105 (5600) caliper=great feel, power and modulation
New setup, Microshift levers, same calipers and blocks=crap (especially when braking from the hoods)
Result: New SRAM levers, Microshit Centos levers in garage (make me a sensible offer if you want them, black, 10 speed, done about 600 miles).
I dont know how the newer generation Shimano calipers will be with your levers though.

Latest Comments