Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra brake lever problem

My rear brake lever appears to have lost its pizazz, strange press feel to it, no tension like it used to have, front brake is perfect, is this a quick fix or do I need a visit to my local bike shop, the bike has not had its first service yet and I've done about 800mile on it. Here's the video http://youtu.be/iPAxZ7g-RkQ

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

tonyhogg | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've never had a puncture on the rear wheel yet, thank god, so that lever release has never been touched, you can hear a spring noise on the front brake lever but the rear has lost this noise, maybe a spring issue I'm thinking, thanks for the suggestions

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Long shot, especially as I couldn't see it on the vid. But is the little cam that you undo for easy wheel changes, etc done up ok?

I've never pulled the lever when it's opened to know but thought I'd ask.

robert.brady | 10 years ago
0 likes

Looks like something is sticking. Check that the rear brake returns fully when you let go of the lever. If that's OK, remove the cable and give it a clean. If you can, flush the outers through with something like WD40 before reinstalling the cable.

Rob

jellysticks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Who knows why that appeared twice...ah the magic of the computerweb

0 likes

Is the cable fully tensioned all the way through to the brake itself? And are all the sections of outer housing correctly seated in their barrel adjusters/frame bosses etc? If so and it still does it, there may be something amiss with the shifter itself - sometimes a tiny piece can get misaligned meaning that the 'spring-back' feeling is not as strong as it should be. If you can take it apart and have a look all good, otherwise a possible LBS trip. An independent if possible! Places like ***** will have a look in three weeks' time and then tell you that you need a new saddle.

0 likes

Is the cable fully tensioned all the way through to the brake itself? And are all the sections of outer housing correctly seated in their barrel adjusters/frame bosses etc? If so and it still does it, there may be something amiss with the shifter itself - sometimes a tiny piece can get misaligned meaning that the 'spring-back' feeling is not as strong as it should be. If you can take it apart and have a look all good, otherwise a possible LBS trip. An independent if possible! Places like ***** will have a look in three weeks' time and then tell you that you need a new saddle.

Latest Comments