Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Decisions to be made on a new bike

I intend getting a new bike in the new year so after searching the various bike manufacturers and seeing whats on offer i've managed to pin it down to 2 bikes and i'm after people's honest opinions on them.

The first is a Felt AR5 (I already own a Felt and i cant find fault)

the basic spec is:
•Frame:?
•Felt Aero Road UHC Performance carbon fiber, MMC w/ InsideOut construction, BB30, carbon fiber dropouts, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, internal cable routing (electronic compatible)
•Fork:?
•Felt Aero Road UHC Performance carbon fiber monocoque construction, AeroTaper 1.125" - 1.25" carbon fiber steerer tube w/ integrated crown race, crown, blades & dropouts
•Drivetrain:?
•Shimano 105 STI shifters, Shimano 105 derailleurs, FSA Omega BB30 50/34T crankset, Shimano 10-speed chain, Shimano 11-25T cassette
•Components:?
•Shimano 105 brakes, Felt Aero Road VariableShape handlebar, Felt SuperLite stem, Felt VariMount Aero Road flip position UHC carbon fiber seatpost, Prologo Zero T2.0 saddle, Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick tires
•Wheelset:?
•Felt Aero R3 rims, Felt R3 hubs, butted aero stainless steel spokes w/ aluminum nipples
•Finish:?
•Matte Carbon
•Weight:?
•8.09kg, 17.8lb

and the second is a Ribble with the R872 carbon frame.
Groupset Campagnolo 2013 Centaur Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
DataCassette Campagnolo 10Spd Centaur UD Cassette 12-25
Chainset Campagnolo Centaur Black Power Torque 10 Speed Chainset 172.5 39/53
Rear Gear Campagnolo Centaur Black 10Spd Rear Derailleur Short
Gearshift Sti/Ergo Campagnolo Powershift Ergopowers Double Centaur Alloy Black 10Spd with cables Black Hoods

Wheels Campagnolo Zonda Black Clincher Wheels Pair 9/10/11 Camp
Handlebars ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Bars Black 42cm
Handlebar Stem ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Stem Black 100mm
Headset Spacers Trivio Headset Spacers Alloy 1 1/8" Black 10mm
Saddle Selle Italia X1 Man Saddle Black
Seatpillar CSN Superleggera Alloy Seatpillar Black 31.6 400mm

Both bikes are around the £1500.00 mark but both are different with Campag and Shimano groupsets.

Cheers folks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

ianSWBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't know the Ribble

But the Felt AR5 is a great option at your price point. You get the feel of a decent road bike, with kit on it that is going to last. The only thing you might need in time is an upgrade of wheels!

Good luck and let us know what you get

regards
ianSWBB

Ghostie | 10 years ago
0 likes

The Ribble R872 looks nice, but also as a Felt user I'd go for the AR5. Better the devil you know and all that. The 2014 AR5 looks great and I like the tri/TT conversion touches, which it seems Felt have actually put some thought into rather than as a kind of an afterthought. I'm considering getting the AR5 or AR4 (2014) next year myself. Although it's tempting to look at the previous year's models at the moment with the AR5 discounted to £1340 and the AR4 at £1690 (less garish flame paintwork and it's matt black).

Latest Comments