Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel rim/brake surface damage?! Wtf?!

Can anybody help me identify what has caused this to my rear wheel? Similar on both sides. Only just noticed it the other night whilst cleaning.

Is it simply damage from brake blocks? Have since taken them off and and scrubbed them. The pattern of dots just seems odd. As opposed to a long scratch.

The dots are bits of damage to rim... as far as I can tell. Couldn't be chemical damage could it, from a ph 7 bio cleaner?!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

richardbassett01 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers all. Hopefully won't cause too much of a problem. A service engineer reckons a mavic rim stone would help remove the blemishes

andybwhite | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yup! that's salt.

mike the bike | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you look at an aluminium glasshouse or window frame you will probably find similar corrosion. Although the metal doesn't rust it certainly oxidises and this process can be accelerated by contact with chemicals such as salts.

allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes

Up, I'm +1 on road salt. Unfortunately you can't exactly coat your braking surfaces with gt85 or fs365 can you!

richardbassett01 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys. Couple of lads from the club reckon its road salt/grit that has done it. Hopefully it won't be an issue but lesson learned.

1) Switch to winter wheelset before this happens
2) Clean bike asap post ride!

Cheers

Rich

jason.timothy.jones | 10 years ago
0 likes
William Black wrote:

Looks like some kind of pitting/discolouration from some sort of corrosion?

I agree, I doubt this is from the blocks at all. I also wouldn't think a ph7 anything would cause this, but something else may have.

Its hard to tell from the photo, but it looks a lot like oxidisation you get in aluminium cooking pots, did it scrub clean, or has it left pitting?

It may be from something really simple like spraying air freshener or something close to the bike, or even rolling over a road that had a little spill on it

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

Looks like some kind of pitting/discolouration from some sort of corrosion?

Latest Comments