Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Changing chainrings

Hey folks,

I'm shortly taking delivery of a new bike (to me anyway) fitted with SRAM rival compact chainset (50/34). I want to change it to something like 52/39 which is fitted to my current bike with a compact spider. The BB is new so doesn't need changing. My question is can I do this by buying New chainrings, or will I need a new chainset. I'm trying to avoid spending excess money as I'm after New wheels soon anyway.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

joemmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Had good experiences with TA, Stronglight and Middleburn rings. Steer clear of replacement SRAM rings, cheap but they wear out quickly IME.

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

I high recommend TA Specialities they are durable, light and come in just about any configuration you can dream up.

gw replied to William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes
William Black wrote:

I high recommend TA Specialities they are durable, light and come in just about any configuration you can dream up.

And they are supremely shiney!

In all seriousness, TA rings were what my LBS had when I needed it at short notice - very happy with them.

morethansonglyrics | 10 years ago
0 likes

Remember you might need a few more links in your chain.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Stronglight Zicral

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thought so. In that case, any recommendations for 52/36 chainring sets?? With a 110 bcd

CDK1962 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Should just be a case of changing the rings, so long as they are the same BCD

Latest Comments