Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First 'cross bike

Alright,

I'm taking the plunge and getting my first cyclocross bike. It looks awesome and having a backup bike for the commute with discs and mounts seems a good idea considering recent weather.

I'm currently flirting with 3 (4) options:

Specialized Tricross Disc
Boardman CX Team
Cannondale CAADX Disc 6 Tiagra (or 105, £100 more, can't decide if it's worth it)

All 2014 models. Price isn't too much of an issue, and I want the bike more for trails / 'cross than for the commute - anyone have any ideas which is best?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

rodsquad | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm looking in the same price range also. There seems to be a real divide in Cyclocross between the sort of "adventure tourer" and the out and out racer. I would like one that primarily has a racing pedigree but has a bit of load hauling versatility. My shortlist had all your selection (and then some) but has finally come down to the two options of the Cannondale CAADX and the Genesis Vapour. My reason over the Boardman is both have the CX shorter gear setup of 46/36 unlike the Boardman that comes with the standard road compact 50/34. I have no idea if Apex is better than Tiagra although I do hate how Tiagra shifter cable comes out the side of the shifter rather than under the bar tape. Clutters up the cockpit no end.

Goldfever4 replied to rodsquad | 10 years ago
0 likes
rodsquad wrote:

I'm looking in the same price range also. There seems to be a real divide in Cyclocross between the sort of "adventure tourer" and the out and out racer. I would like one that primarily has a racing pedigree but has a bit of load hauling versatility. My shortlist had all your selection (and then some) but has finally come down to the two options of the Cannondale CAADX and the Genesis Vapour. My reason over the Boardman is both have the CX shorter gear setup of 46/36 unlike the Boardman that comes with the standard road compact 50/34. I have no idea if Apex is better than Tiagra although I do hate how Tiagra shifter cable comes out the side of the shifter rather than under the bar tape. Clutters up the cockpit no end.

Thanks all for suggestions, really appreciate it. I've got a good deal on a Tricross Elite, I'm going to go with that as my LBS can't get hold of a CAADX. Can't wait!!

p.s. rodsquad I'm in exactly the same boat, I don't want a glorified hybrid and I definitely am not a fan of the tiagra shifters, first upgrade I think!

CDK1962 | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you're willing to forego disc brakes, the Tifosi CK1 is worth a look. Mounts for guards and rack, fast, comfortable. Got mine a month ago and love it

jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got the 2014 CX Team. First ride out today, and it's exactly as good as I expected. At least, any shortcomings are either completely masked by mine, or due to having been built by someone in Halfords.

Look at the Planet X - would have been a close choice if I wasn't getting a big discount off the Boardman. http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLS105/planet_x_xls_shimano_105_...

joebee9870 | 10 years ago
0 likes

What about a Colnago World Cup Disc?

Goldfever4 replied to joebee9870 | 10 years ago
0 likes
joebee9870 wrote:

What about a Colnago World Cup Disc?

Is pretty, but doesn't take mudguards. Neat idea though, they are damnedly pretty bikes

Jez Ash | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got the Boardman, it's been excellent. Seen use in touring, club runs, commuting and off-road. Probably a bit better specced than the others. Some people are unwilling to buy a bike from Halfords - it is true you may well get a better service from a normal bike shop, but if you're happy looking after your own bike then this isn't really an issue.

Lots of people like the Tricross too, I believe.

Goldfever4 replied to Jez Ash | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jez Ash wrote:

Some people are unwilling to buy a bike from Halfords - it is true you may well get a better service from a normal bike shop, but if you're happy looking after your own bike then this isn't really an issue.

No issue with the bikes - great spec for the money. I'm slightly put off by every Tom, Dick & Harry I see on my commute riding one though, if I'm honest.

Something very queer would have to happen to the world for me to get a bike looked at in a Halfords store though, personal experiences have been poor!

Latest Comments