Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike Day

Excited? I can't concentrate. A shiny new Boardman CX Team is being built up for me at my local Halfords and I should be picking it up tonight. It'll be my first bike since my CAAD8 (and left wrist) got written off and once I get a bit of fitness back on the turbo and on Epping Forest's trails it will become the commuter/winter bike.

It almost feels odd buying a bike that deliberately isn't the lightest, fastest, most have-its-poster-on-the-wall that I could. But I sort of have a plan of buying a 'best bike' next spring...

Oh, and I haven't told the wife yet. I'm just going to tell her I'm 'going shopping' after work. I don't think I'm at S-1...  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fitted a rear slick and slotted it in the turbo this evening.

Six minutes later the BB started making a clacking noise.

Sigh.

0 likes

Finally picked it up last night. What a great looking bike it is - can't wait to get out on it.

Sadly, I must report that whoever built the bike fitted a white reflector to the seat post, fitted the rear tyre facing the wrong way, and hasn't quite got the front brake right either as it's binding slightly. Little things, but if you're going to the trouble of a PDI why not do it properly? Clearly they do have guidelines, as the logos on the tyres are in the 'right' place and that wouldn't happen by accident...

0 likes

Don't worry - it will get a thorough going-over and it's coming home in the back of the car rather than being ridden. I was tempted to build it myself, but for reasons involving nesting of various discounts I had to pick it up in-store...

bollandinho | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got one too, and it's a brilliant bike. I'd also add to the chorus of people telling you to check everything after Halfords have built it. My front mech was useless when I got it as it was way too loose, and the crank actually fell off while I was riding.

After much shouting, they replaced the bike and the manager insisting it personally. It still needed a good look over when I got it, but it's been running well over six months.

bollandinho | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got one too, and it's a brilliant bike. I'd also add to the chorus of people telling you to check everything after Halfords have built it. My front mech was useless when I got it as it was way too loose, and the crank actually fell off while I was riding.

After much shouting, they replaced the bike and the manager insisting it personally. It still needed a good look over when I got it, but it's been running well over six months.

Gman59c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got the same bike a couple of years ago. It's a great bike, however do check it over properly and if possible have a ride on it in the car park. My front mech wasn't set up properly and resulted in the chain coming off damaging the paintwork. Halfords replaced the bike without question, it was a pain though. My brakes also needed a tune up.

Great bike once properly sorted. Enjoy it, it's great off-road.

jova54 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Enjoy. I picked up my new MARIN 2 weeks ago and took the wife with me, well she was sort of paying for it.

First thing, check/tighten all the bolts etc.

Second thing, get a picture on 'Pictures of your Bikes' so we can all pick holes in saddle height, tilt, bar height, bar tape colour, length of your grass etc  4

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't sleep for a week if Halfords were building my bike.

stuartp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice one. I would spend 5 minutes going round all the nuts and bolts with an allen key before riding it though. Just saying.

Latest Comments