Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

rapha.. why do people on ebay insist on paying more than it can be bought new from rapha

I am not a rapha hater at all. i am infact sat infront of the laptop in a rapha winter cross hat.

this is where my question is coming from.

so i tried to win one as i didnt really want to spend £40 plus £4.00 p&p

the hat was in stock but the two I bid on sold for £2-3 more than a new one plus had either £4-5 postage cost with them.

then a winter collar, sold for £27.00 plus pp, new and in stock £25.00

also a bit odd i sold a Torm jersey in the summer for £59.99 plus postage, i even posted a link to the top to let people see the details about it etc.(i did put the word rapha in the listing as you do)

can someone please explain, I get it if it was some ltd edition item that is no longer available but current stock its just a little bit mind boggling.

oh and dont get me started on the people paying £400+ for the sew on patches.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

oddbydefault | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bought a jersey in the sale (30% off), but on arrival I thought it was still too expensive to justify. Now massively regretting returning it as it seems I could've made a tidy profit by holding on to it for a while...

Ghostie | 10 years ago
0 likes

E-bay isn't really generally a place to pick up a bargain anymore. Last year I was looking for a secondhand turbo trainer and a GPS watch, so went to e-bay assuming I'd be able to pick up what I wanted very cheaply. Wrong. With bids due to end, both items once P&P was added were about ten quid cheaper than a brand new unused item on sale online from shops. As a result, I went elsewhere and bought new. I also sold a cycling-related product on there last year and lost about £12 of what it had originally cost me brand new. Generally a good site for selling, but that's about it.

Gman59c | 10 years ago
0 likes

This thread just reminded me that I had an unworn Rapha jersey, it's now up for sale. It might just pay for a good rear light for me.

russyparkin replied to Gman59c | 10 years ago
0 likes

ha ha it will pay for many many many rear lights!

fyi an amazing rear is the Moon Crescent. £20 ish quid and usb rechargeable. small but perfectly formed.

russyparkin | 10 years ago
0 likes

i might list a pink tea pot we have in the house as rapha just to see what it goes for. insane

FluffyKittenofT... | 10 years ago
0 likes

Happens with almost everything on Ebay. Some people just like 'winning' auctions, as if its a competitive sport or something.

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I believe one of the Paul Smith Giro jerseys went on eBay for £300. They were still in stock too. Overseas buyers in countries unable to buy from the site?

Yorkshie Whippet | 10 years ago
0 likes

Depends how much you want something and maybe don't know the market. Some people think because it on ebay it's a bargain. I've seen things go for more than in the same shop. As said before, the must win auction fever!

Why do people pay silly amounts of money on wine that can not be drunk?

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've noticed that phenomena too. Weird is all I can say....

ColT | 10 years ago
0 likes

Parted. Fool. Soon. Money?

jug_23 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've been keeping an eye on that too. It doesn't make sense (especially the badges...). Helps though because it means I can almost justify buying some posh rapha gear because even if I lost some weight I can still sell it for virtually what it costs. Potential bargain!

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

People get carried away at auctions, that's why the proprietor of my local auction house drives a Bentley.

Latest Comments