Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??

HI all, I have been looking at the front lights on offer; and wondered if anyone could recommend a front light that has a good beam of light for those country lanes without any street lighting ?? Don't really want to spend a lot of money on a front light; but would like one that enables you to see where your going. Would also like it to be reliable. Your Help & Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

86 comments

oozaveared replied to Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

did you know Exposure have an online Outlet shop that sell reconditioned / last years models etc. Look on their site.

Strada Mk1 (2010) 480 lumens with bracket brand new £100.

OK The Strada Mk 5 is 800 lumens but Exposure is good reliable solid kit and 480 lumens with a road specific shaped beam, the ability to have it on full and with a flash and it's dippable. Plus you can attach all the other Exposure lights to it and run them off the battery. They also have a RedEye Long cable so you can run that off the front light. £33.

Basically £133 and you'd have top range kit from a few years ago.

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

did you know Exposure have an online Outlet shop that sell reconditioned / last years models etc. Look on their site.

Strada Mk1 (2010) 480 lumens with bracket brand new £100.

OK The Strada Mk 5 is 800 lumens but Exposure is good reliable solid kit and 480 lumens with a road specific shaped beam, the ability to have it on full and with a flash and it's dippable. Plus you can attach all the other Exposure lights to it and run them off the battery. They also have a RedEye Long cable so you can run that off the front light. £33.

Basically £133 and you'd have top range kit from a few years ago.

This is good advice.

I'm running a 2010 Strada, it is still going strong and the dipped function ensures that you don't blind any oncoming traffic. I use a Flare on the back which takes a rechargeable battery rather than being a sealed unit and has flash or steady mode.

bendertherobot | 10 years ago
0 likes

Chalk me down as another Lezyne Mega Drive owner, previously had a magic shine.

Having a one box solution is great. Paid £107 for mine (for the loaded box).

For real world beam shots have a look at torchythebatteryboy's website. I used to have an Exposure strada and, as can be seen from the shots, the Lezyne really does beat it.

Mostyn replied to bendertherobot | 10 years ago
0 likes
bendertherobot wrote:

Chalk me down as another Lezyne Mega Drive owner, previously had a magic shine.

Having a one box solution is great. Paid £107 for mine (for the loaded box).

For real world beam shots have a look at torchythebatteryboy's website. I used to have an Exposure strada and, as can be seen from the shots, the Lezyne really does beat it.

Hi BBB,

I quite like the look of the Lezyne? Did you have any battery charging issuses?

What do you think of the Lezyne models that I posted links too? Both with CRC.

Would appreciate your opinion, Thanks

BBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

UltraFire 502B 1000 Lumens CREE XM-L T6 from Ebay. Not really 1000 lumens but not very far.
£14 posted with a charger and two batteries. Light on its own is only £7 posted! Get two for more power/flexibility/as a backup.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-502B-1000-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Fl...

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

Exposure Joystick & White eye coupled with a Redeye on the rear I also carry a piggy back for longer night rides.

I also have a Hope Vision One which I use as a flashing and back up light should the exposures burn out.

The flare is amazing plus it also means I never have to spend long on the front as the thing dazzles the rider behind  1

Mombee | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought two of the ebay Cree lights for xc training during the winter, when I'm expecting a few dark sessions. The first has arrived, a Cree XML T6, and first impressions are good - good reach and reasonable burn time (easily an hour+ on full), the second one a twin-unit is still on a slow-boat from China - the single unit may well end up attached to my helmet, so between them these lights should give be good coverage and plenty of battery life. However, I'm very conscious that these are £20 lights and so, to avoid the risk of being left in the dark should either fail, I'm backing those up with my Cateye One-Shot - that's a good reliable light that will get be home, albeit maybe not as quickly as it doesn't have anywhere near the same 'firepower' of the Cree's.
The intention is to see how this winter 'dark' training goes and maybe upgrade the Cree lights next year - that's assuming they prove to have issues, but they may turn out to be great.
Note - one of my pet-hates is cyclists who forget about their backs when it comes to lights so, even though I'll be cross-country for much of the time, there'll be two large flashing units on the bike and backpack... On-One/Planet-X have great deals on rear lights at the moment.

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Didn't want to spend this much money! But, could you give me an opinion on this light?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-power-drive-xl-front-light-475...

Has anyone seen one for less money?

Also saw this >
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-mini-drive-xl-front-light-200-...

Reviews say that Lezyne Lights have a battery charging problem? Anyone?

Thanks

Chuck replied to Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes
Mostyn wrote:

Thanks

I've got a Lezyne Macro Drive and no charging problems for me- although it does vary according to what you're plugging it in to. A laptop might take much longer to charge it compared to a USB plug in a wall socket.

Great light too.

Mostyn replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:
Mostyn wrote:

Thanks

I've got a Lezyne Macro Drive and no charging problems for me- although it does vary according to what you're plugging it in to. A laptop might take much longer to charge it compared to a USB plug in a wall socket.

Great light too.

Do Lezyne supply a mains charger as well as a usb connection? Quite taken with the Lezyne light range! You have any thoughts on the two lights I posted Links for? Both on the CRC site.

Toppulov | 10 years ago
0 likes

Very happy with my magicshine. Includes head attachment (!) and is very easy to put on/off bike. Used for MTB on totally dark trails. Battery life would only be about 2 hours on the max brightness.

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/featured-products/magicshine-mj-872-1600-l...

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gentlemen, It seems I have a good deal to learn about good quality Bicycle lights. I appreciate all the  39 posts; and thank you for your help.

I shall research your recommendations and use the links you so kindly posted.

Are there any lights that I should not consider or give (steer clear of) consideration?

jollygoodvelo replied to Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes
Mostyn wrote:

Are there any lights that I should not consider or give (steer clear of) consideration?

The only un-recommended one from my personal experience is the Mars Click rear light. It's a great idea, and it's really bright, but as soon as it gets wet or a bit of grit in it, it doesn't 'click' any more.

stuke | 10 years ago
0 likes

Exposure are definitely the ones to beat when it comes to lights, not only are they bright but they have good burn times and excellent customer service. You pays your money  4

i commute daily on country lanes using the latest Strada and a Toro powering a Redeye paired up with a Hope District+. Also a Sirius and a Blaze for low light conditions which i swap between the road bikes and never had a single issue with any of them

Jimbonic | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a One23 Bright 1000. Guess what, it gives out 1000 lumens (advertised). It's a really good light. I use it for commuting on and off-road. For £60-65, it's great (IMO) value. I can travel at 25+ mph on unlit roads, no problem, attack trails with plenty of vigour. Compared with much more expensive lights, it doesn't fall far short. I've never had any problems with reliability and battery life is long (rechargeable separate battery). Only one minor complaint is that when it does go onto the "red light" for battery life, the light flashes, which can be, erm, fun when descending.....

But, yep, highly recommend it.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have an Exposure Strada on the front and and Flare on the back. They are really great lights and during winter I'll do around ten hours a week on pitch black country lanes. I wouldn't do without them and they've been completely reliable for the past two years. Highly recommended.

robert.brady | 10 years ago
0 likes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-mega-drive-front-light-loaded/

Shop around. I got mine for forty quid less than that from CRC but they seem to have stopped selling the loaded option. I bought it in the summer when there isn't such a demand for lights as well.

Rob

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like the design and build quality of Lezyne stuff so bought the Power Drive (pre-XL). I find it bright enough on Medium (200 lumens).

I used to run a Fenix torch that ran on 2 AAs but have found that its lower output meant it was OK but not ideal on its own, particularly when the road is wet.

Have you looked at this?
http://road.cc/content/news/97193-big-roadcc-lights-test-2013

and from 2011:
http://road.cc/content/news/46538-big-roadcc-lights-test-data

Gman59c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a Niterider Lumina which gives 650-700 lumens, which I find fine for the roads, I see it's going for 80 quid in CRC.

Got to agree about the exposure lights though, got a Diablo for going off road and it is amazing.

giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the leszyne mega drive. I've been using one for riding on unlit country roads and it's great, even on 30mph descents. Not super cheap but still a good 100 quid less than the equivalent Exposure models like the Strada etc.

Exposure are I think undoubtedly the gold standard in bike lighting these days, I've paired my mega drive with their flare rear light. That said, I don't regret buying the lezyne and saving myself some cash.

Cooks | 10 years ago
0 likes

if you look through the cree lights, you should be able to pick up one with a free rear light and a headband for about 17 quid. Search cree headlamp, and you get the best of everyworld. I got one last week, very happy.

badback | 10 years ago
0 likes

It was one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200855315142?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2F...

(The seller has put the price up since I bought mine, but £17.99 inc p+p aint that bad).

all the best,

Paul

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

That Lezyne Megga Drive sounds great? But at what price? Do you have link to the model you bought?

badback | 10 years ago
0 likes

A couple of months ago I bought a Cree light off eBay for about a tenner, so I could ride out in the Peak District at night.

For the money I'm well impressed. The re-chargeable battery lasts about three hours and it really lights the road up.

Mostyn replied to badback | 10 years ago
0 likes
badback wrote:

A couple of months ago I bought a Cree light off eBay for about a tenner, so I could ride out in the Peak District at night.

For the money I'm well impressed. The re-chargeable battery lasts about three hours and it really lights the road up.

So many on eBay, which one did you get?

robert.brady | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a Lezyne Mega Drive light that I'm very happy with. I went for the loaded option which comes with a spare battery. Handy for long night rides.

It has a good beam pattern for road use (I haven't as yet annoyed motorists with it), is plenty bright enough and is an all in one unit (no separate batteries and cables). I've used it on a 15 mile commute on mostly unlit and often tree lined roads and ran it on low for most of the ride. Full power was only needed for confidence on fast descents.

The single unit makes it quicker to switch between bikes and easy to remove if leaving the bike out of sight.

People will recommend the cheap and bright ebay lights and I've used them myself but wouldn't go back to them now. Reliability is hit and miss and the beam pattern of most of them isn't ideal on the road.

The Lezyne isn't exactly a cheap option, but years of winter commuting has taught me lighting isn't an area to scrimp on.

Rob

Pages

Latest Comments