Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

bike accident

Hi everyone i got knocked off my bike last night by a car on a main road roundabout,it was driver error as they just drove into me without looking.the scene was attended by police and paramedics.i only suffered minor bumps and grazes,my bike has been damaged.im just asking anyone for some advice post accident

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ive put my claim in on insurance and the police have contacted me to say driver has admitted being at fault.bike is at lbs waiting for go ahead to be fixed

Argos74 | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you don't have the driver's insurance details, you can get them from the Motor Insurance Database.

http://www.askmid.com/

Get the incident reference from the police, and if you can, any accident reports. Don't get too worried about the criminal side of things, you're purely concerned with the civil liability - getting your bike repaired, and any costs reimbursed arising from injuries.

As mentioned by Gkam84, take photos of bike damage and injuries. Also worth getting quotes for bike repairs from some LBSs.

My happiest moment working for a motor insurer: ringing a cyclist who had been rear-ended* by one of our policyholders, offering to repair/replace her bike, and transferring her through to the personal injury team. Saves money on legal costs. You may well get some mileage from dealing direct with the insurer if they're looking to do the same.

The driver's insurer may end up needing to writing to the police for an accident report, but if the circumstances are fairly clear - if you've been hit from the nearside as the vehicle entered the roundabout for example, it may be a lot more straightforward. Be polite to the insurer if you speak to them, keep copies of any correspondence and notes of any telephone conversations.

If the driver isn't insured, the Motor Insurers' Bureau becomes the insurer for the purposes of civil liability and making a claim for bike repairs/injury costs.

Hope you and bike are up and about and back on the road real soon  4

* policyholder said cyclist wasn't wearing Hi-Viz. It was daytime. We conceded liability.

jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to hear about your accident; sounds similar to mine.

Making a claim against the driver is what your insurance is for. I assume you have the driver's details?

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes just filled in claim form with the insurance.should i make a claim against the driver

ridetheroad123 | 10 years ago
0 likes

First of all sorry to hear this, at least you're okay

If you do have insurance contact them asap to report the incident and make sure you have crime ref or contact details for police officer who spoke to you at the scene or hospital

If you don't have insurance and no reg you can submit a claim via the motor insurance bureau , if you do have reg but not able to trace the other person you can submit claim via the MIB also

If you have the insurance details of the other person you can try to claim via this for damage to your bike - make sure you take plenty of photos of bike and your injuries

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Get in touch with your insurance, if you are not insured, why not?

Get a reference number from the police.

Did the driver stop? If not, make sure the police chase them up.

Not much else you can do, take it easy and recover

skitza replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Get in touch with your insurance, if you are not insured, why not?

Get a reference number from the police.

Did the driver stop? If not, make sure the police chase them up.

Not much else you can do, take it easy and recover

Having recently had a close shave on a round a bout myself i really should get insurence sorted out ,any reccs? or bargains insurence wise i should look out for?

Latest Comments