Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycle Route Bath to Reading or Newbury

Hi,

This may be a long shot but I know there are plenty of Bath-based contributors on here...

Can anyone recommend (or supply .gpx file) a nice route between Bath and maybe Newbury or Reading (only, in reverse!). My friends & I are coming to Bath from London next weekend but not sure where from yet (depends how adventurous/hungover we are - we will be getting the train out of London and will get off on the way and ride to Bath)?

We don't know the area at all so some local info would be very useful.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

hairybiker | 10 years ago
0 likes

Beware Kennet and Avon towpath, when they trim the bushes alongside they seem to keave a lot of bits behind - unfortunately some of it is Hawthorn/Blackthorn. I had 5 punctures in one outing from Froxfield to Pewsey and back, all thorns!

ped | 10 years ago
0 likes

The M4 hard shoulder, no?

I know the Newbury end of what could be a route (from around Marlborough onwards), but not till there. Have you tried Strava's new route building thing? A colleague was raving about it the other day, and it does seem rather neat: Put in your start and end points, and it plots a route based on popular rides members have made.

newtonk replied to ped | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks ped, will check out that Strava route builder - hadn't heard of it.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

you can do the kennet & avon canal most of the way from bath to newbury, assuming you don't mind getting a bit muddy. depends what you'll be riding...

newtonk replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dave, we'll be on road bikes but we're not too precious about them! Not too bothered by a bit of mud either but it could be a bit slow going is my only worry - will look into it.

dave atkinson replied to newtonk | 10 years ago
0 likes
newtonk wrote:

Thanks Dave, we'll be on road bikes but we're not too precious about them! Not too bothered by a bit of mud either but it could be a bit slow going is my only worry - will look into it.

not ideal for road bikes in quite a lot of places, especially nearer newbury.

my basic road route would be two tunnels > bradford-on-avon > trowbridge > devizes > pewsey > marlborough > ramsbury > hungerford > newbury

something like the attached

newtonk replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks HairyBiker, & Dave again - looks like I'll avoid the canal and take a look at your route instead, Dave.

Much appreciated as always.

Latest Comments