Ok, so this is strange, but has anyone ever suffered a "puncture" on a turbo trainer?, I havent pulled the tyre off yet, but I doubt there is a hole in anything....just so strange

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Yes, several, including one catastrophic failure. Heat related maybe?

posted by CDK1962 [26 posts]
30th October 2013 - 19:47

like this
Like (2)

Yarp - could be a number of factors, esp if it's been repaired before. Lots of friction going on there between tyre and roller with no air rushing past to cool it...

andylul's picture

posted by andylul [412 posts]
30th October 2013 - 19:49

like this
Like (1)

My tyre once exploded on the turbo trainer. Something to do with me getting the inner tube caught between the tyre and the wheel, the GF had a shock to be sure…..

Check the tyre. If it looks like a snake has poisoned your inner tube, check your room for snakes, and if you find none, then it's likely to be a tyre pinch. This is caused by low pressure inner tubes wheedling their way between the tyre and wheel. Otherwise get out of the house ASAP.

….Or, if it's a single hole, it could be you have crap between your tyre wall and the inner tube.

Then again, what with the weather we had last year a large pot hole in your turbo trainer may have developed. But that really is an outside shot - but call your council….

posted by Colin Peyresourde [1117 posts]
30th October 2013 - 20:37

like this
Like (5)

Colin Peyresourde wrote:
My tyre once exploded on the turbo trainer. Something to do with me getting the inner tube caught between the tyre and the wheel, the GF had a shock to be sure…..

Check the tyre. If it looks like a snake has poisoned your inner tube, check your room for snakes, and if you find none, then it's likely to be a tyre pinch. This is caused by low pressure inner tubes wheedling their way between the tyre and wheel. Otherwise get out of the house ASAP.

….Or, if it's a single hole, it could be you have crap between your tyre wall and the inner tube.

Then again, what with the weather we had last year a large pot hole in your turbo trainer may have developed. But that really is an outside shot - but call your council….

Laughing

posted by NickK123 [70 posts]
31st October 2013 - 13:18

like this
Like (2)

Yep! Think it was down to a nick or pinch that just needed a bit of weight to set it free. Random as!

Merlin Cycles women's race team ~ http://www.merlincycles.com
Manx nerd peddler ~ http://mooleur.blogspot.com

mooleur's picture

posted by mooleur [542 posts]
31st October 2013 - 13:28

like this
Like (2)

it turned out to be a repair that failed

posted by jason.timothy.jones [303 posts]
31st October 2013 - 13:54

like this
Like (1)