Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X or Dolan

For the winter this year, after a recent revelation, I am training, in part at least, on fixed. I have an old road bike that I am currently using, but it is far from ideal. Now, for similar money I can get a brand new Dolan FXE with all but drivetrain, or a Planet X Pompino, again, with all but drivetrain, which I can transfer across.
Therefore my question is this, any ride reviews? Or is there something else I am overlooking for about £230 with mudgaurd eyes for my winter of overloading myself for a faster season next year?

Many thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Welsh boy | 10 years ago
0 likes

What makes you think that riding fixed through the winter will make you faster next year? Where did you read such rubbish? If riding fixed was a route towards greater speed, don't you think that all the pros and top riders would be doing it? Ride fixed for fun by all means but drop this silly idea that it will make you faster next season, it wont.

William Black replied to Welsh boy | 10 years ago
1 like
Welsh boy wrote:

Ride fixed for fun by all means but drop this silly idea that it will make you faster next season, it wont.

But it will improve your personal grooming, make you take an overwhelming interest in fashion and you'll most likely develop a taste for musical theatre.

MCLK | 10 years ago
0 likes

I too have started training on fixed. I've always enjoyed the simplicity of single speed but living in a hilly area, have only recently had the courage to flip the wheel.

I own a Langster (2010 Aluminium) & a Pompino and would say they are completely different beasts. The Langster is light and great fun to throw around but I find it a bit severe on longer rides, due to excessive vibration and it doesn't have mudguard eyes. My Pompino with Brooks saddle and SKS guards is quite a lot heavier, more of a workhorse but still capable of decent speeds and is really comfortable.

A bit more expensive but the 2014 Genesis Flyer looks like it could be a good option. It has the same geometry as the Equilibrium and proper mudguard mounts.

Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

As you say, the lack of chain-tugs are the issue, weight isn't a problem,nifact it's preferred! Main problem is it's the wrong size, which, as I'm planning on spending some serious time on it this winter, is going to be the difference between a successful race season, or spending the next few years curled up on a sofa in agony!

Tjuice | 10 years ago
0 likes

Something old and steel  1 In fact, what precisely is wrong with your old road bike (other than lack of chain tug tensioners)?

Both my fixed gear bikes are built with old steel road frames and are great. The beater is heavy and hard work; the other one is beautiful and lovely to ride. Both bikes easily capable of 25+ mph through London.

Having said that, I would like an On-one Track (were made a few years back). Saw one once and have wanted one ever since. Wonder why they're so difficult to find - perhaps very few were made.

earth | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is what I did - Dolan FXE frame + PlanetX fork and finishing kit.

PJ McNally replied to earth | 10 years ago
0 likes
earth wrote:

This is what I did - Dolan FXE frame + PlanetX fork and finishing kit.

Nice! Best of both?

(I'm riding a KHS Flite 100, ideal winter fixed, with proper guards and a rack).

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

^ good call or if you could find one of these possibly:
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-track-13?bct=browse%...

Jimbonic | 10 years ago
0 likes

Now, I know it gets boos of derision, but...
Specialized Langster
I had a 2008 model and it was great - really fun to ride. I can't remember whether it mudguard / rack / pannier eyes or not. Probably not; I had SKS race blades on mine. But, it was a joy to jump on and go. I have a 5 mile commute to work and quite regularly it would "accidentally" get extended to 20 miles, just because!
I imagine you'll find one for a bargain, as mine got nicked earlier this year!
Have fun looking and riding.

Latest Comments