Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain slipping on new bike.

I picked up a lovely new Wilier last month and so far I've been loving it, with the exception that is of the rear gears being a little skippy.

Before I handed it back to the shop for its 400 mile service I adjusted the indexing myself and all appeared fine, on the workstand at least, on the road there was still evidence of skipping.

Post shop service there is still evidence of skipping which is slightly annoying.

Drivetrain is Campag Athena 11 with FSA SL-K cranks and a Miche cassette.

From reading reviews of the cassette I think that's the weaklink, many comments suggest swapping that for Campag alleviate the issue.

Of course having quite a chunk of money already I don't really want to have to splash out already but nor do I want poor shifting.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

You bought the bike last month? Surely the shop should change the cassette for you for free and they can take it up with their wholesaler.

thebungle replied to Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tom Amos wrote:

You bought the bike last month? Surely the shop should change the cassette for you for free and they can take it up with their wholesaler.

That's what I'm hoping although TBH the cassette is known to made from a particualar brand of very soft Italian cheese, it's a Miche cassette and most reviews would seem to suggest this behaviour is not uncommon.

Best solution is for the LSB and wholesales to replace it with a Campag cassette as to me there is no point in replacing it with another Miche.

Once again it proves the value of a (good) LBS although it would be nice to get a free packet off Haribo!

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

STIFF LINK in your chain? first thing to look at when it skips a little; and the second is the rear mech, adjustment. Is your chain too long? and is your cassette dogged up tight?

Paul Hewitt | 10 years ago
0 likes

First thing I would be inclined to do is to take your bike back to shop you bought it from and ask them to check the gear hanger alignment, this quite often gets damaged in transit and not always checked before the bike is collected.
If the hanger is out of alignment it reduces any room for error in the adjustment of the rear gear.

www.hewittcycles.co.uk

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

If this is a "from day one" issue, its probably the cassette. The good news is that it will probably improve a bit with wear. The bad news is that it will take a while and very shortly after that it'll be worn out.

Stick a Veloce cassette on... ah... you got 11 speed... ummmmmmmmmmmm.

Okaaaaaaay...... you could try a different chain. ie if its a Campag chain, swap it out for a low-mid range KMC one until you can stretch to a decent cassette. If you do this now, you'll still be able to use the Campag one sometime down the line.

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Switch to a campag cassette,the miche is very prone to skipping

thebungle replied to Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's what I thought but TBH after having splashed on on new bike and various nic nacs for the winter season I really don't want to splash out on a new cassette especially when the one that's on the bike is essentially new, I'll have to see how accommodating the shop will be.

Latest Comments