Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New 2014 cervelo R3

I'm thinking of buying the new 2014 cervelo R3 with ultegra, any thoughts or has anybody seen one yet.
I enquired about the R3 Dark edition but nobody can seem to get hold of one.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

edd23 | 10 years ago
0 likes
clee | 10 years ago
0 likes

Andy, Phil,
Perhaps you guys know but i just recently heard the R3 105 is the 2013 frame with external cabling and only the 2014 R3 Ultegra and up is the 2014 future proof frame. This explains the big price gap. Any truth to this?
Am looking into the 105 but if it doesn't have the future ready frame not sure it's worth it for me.
C

andy---doe | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi
Hope you don’t mind me resurrecting this thread but I am interested in this bike.
It seems to me the 2014 R3 – 105 that can be purchased for £1995 is not actually the 2014 frame (which has the internal cabling and comes as a R3 – Ultegra which is about £3000)
Please correct me if I am wrong?
What kind of discount could I expect to negotiate on this bike?

Regards
Andy

Phil A replied to andy---doe | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi Andy
I have had my R3 since just before xmas and love it, i did get a very good discount from my local bike shop but then i have spent a lot of money with them as i bought an S5 last year but trashed it by going over the handle bars and i have bought this as a replacement. What part of the country are you from as my lbs does take some beating for the service they give, they really are fantastic,hence i don't shop anywhere else.
One thing i have noticed is a slight creaking in the bottom bracket when i put the pressure on going up hills and i am also changing the handlebars as they are too narrow for me, my lbs have this in hand for me.
The tyres are pretty shit as i have had 3 punchers already but have got new tyres ready to be put on,
The 11 speed ultegra is really smooth and the ride is lovely and it is quite fast
If i am not mistaken the R3 frame is very near or if not the same mould as the RCA and R5 just cheaper carbon and different forks.
This bike goes up hill quick and would go quicker if i wasn't such a fat f-ck
If you want to give me a bell regarding the R3 i am more than happy to discuss things with you
Regards Phil

07733 316367

Phil A | 10 years ago
0 likes

I dont think the new 2014 R3 comes with 105 its only the Dark edition that does or does anybody know any different. The 2014 frame with black and blue colour only comes with ultegra and ultegra i2.

Phil A | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi
I agree but my lbs really has sorted me out and i snapped their hand off when they gave me the price.

Phil A | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi
The R3 105 version is £1999 and the ultegra is £3099, i have order mine and will be here at the end of Nov. Let me know if your looking to get one and i can put you onto my lbs who are fantastic.

mpt68 replied to Phil A | 10 years ago
0 likes
Phil A wrote:

Hi
The R3 105 version is £1999 and the ultegra is £3099, i have order mine and will be here at the end of Nov. Let me know if your looking to get one and i can put you onto my lbs who are fantastic.

An extra £1000 just for Ultegra over 105.Thats a bit steep isnt it??
Surely not a grands worth of difference between the 2 groupsets

giobox replied to mpt68 | 10 years ago
0 likes
mpt68 wrote:
Phil A wrote:

Hi

Agree it's a big difference, but you do get a significant wheel set upgrade and a much more exspensive Rotor chainset on the Ultegra model as well.

harman_mogul replied to giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes
giobox wrote:
mpt68 wrote:
Phil A wrote:

Agree it's a big difference, but you do get a significant wheel set upgrade and a much more exspensive Rotor chainset on the Ultegra model as well.

Buy the 105 package, swap the wheels for Dura Ace, replace the brake pads with SwissStop. IMO.

tom_w | 10 years ago
0 likes

Random additional info; my LBS said that the 105 version of 2014 R3 won't be available until Jan 14 as Cervelo are waiting for the release of 11 speed 105 which is due then. They had no idea on pricing as yet.

Woodface | 10 years ago
0 likes

Any idea what the weight is of the 2014 R3? I have heard that the S3 is the pick of the range, any thoughts?

giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes

If it was my money I'd go for the 2014 R3, you're effectively getting the new frame design from the RCA plus its much more future-proof with internal routing if you decide to go electric transmission/hydraulic rim brakes in the future. The only area in which the R3 Dark edition is going to be better is slightly lower weight, and the difference will be pretty trivial at best.

Phil A | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi
Can i ask what your thoughts are between the R3 Dark and the new 2014 R3 as i have now ordered a 51cm 2014 R3 ultegra from my lbs. (they really look after me)
Thanks for your help though.
Phil

ianSWBB replied to Phil A | 10 years ago
0 likes

Phil
You'll be very happy with the 2014 R3 - Cervelo have trickled down the technology from the 2013 R5 to the 2014 R3 - so for the same money (ish) you're getting a better chassis!!
Good luck
regards, ianSWBB

ianSWBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

Phil A
Do you know what size you are?
Let me know and I'll see what is available
I know the 54 and the 58 were in stock in the 2014 R3 Dark Edition (Force 22/Fulcrum 5.5)
regards
ianSWBB

Latest Comments