Home

I've just got a new PG1070 Sram force cassette in the post. I've put it on my Shimano R501 wheel (which I just took an Apex cassette off), but there seems to be a bit of back & forth rotational play, maybe a mm or so. It feels as if the freehub teeth/grooves aren't wide enough.

I've never had a problem fitting Sram cassettes before, am I missing something? I know the old OG cassettes had some compatibility issues a few years back.

The freehub was fine (only about 500 miles in it since new) with the old cassette.

Any help IDing the problem would be great.

9 comments

Colin Lynch [15 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

You're missing a spacer that goes between the biggest sprocket and the spokes (it goes on first, before the cassette).

It's a 1mm spacer that you need when installing SRAM cassettes on some Shimano wheels. If it's not included, any bike shop should have one.

Mr Jono [101 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Colin. Is that sold separately or should it have come with the cassette? There was nothing else in the box

0 likes
therevokid [912 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

hhmmmm... never had to use the 1mm spacer on my SRAM cassettes.
Thought that was only for Shimano 10 speed on to 8/9/10 freehubs ????

I have a pg1070 on a R501 and with the lock ring off that too "rotates" very
slightly on the splines ....

Pauldmorgan [217 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I have Sram cassettes on most of my bikes / wheels - no spacer in-between the big cog and the hub (unlike with Shimano cassettes).

My son has a Shimano cassette - this does have a spacer. He once installed it with the spacer between the locking and the cassette, not a mistake he'll make again...

Pauldmorgan [217 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I have Sram cassettes on most of my bikes / wheels - no spacer in-between the big cog and the hub (unlike with Shimano cassettes).

My son has a Shimano cassette - this does have a spacer. He once installed it with the spacer between the locking and the cassette, not a mistake he'll make again...

0 likes
therevokid wrote:

hhmmmm... never had to use the 1mm spacer on my SRAM cassettes.
Thought that was only for Shimano 10 speed on to 8/9/10 freehubs ????

I have a pg1070 on a R501 and with the lock ring off that too "rotates" very
slightly on the splines ....

That's interesting to hear. I didn't put the lockring on as I thought something was wrong. I'll give that a go tonight and see if there's still any play.

Thanks

0 likes

Tightened the lockring - no play. Seems silly now!

Manglier [99 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I needed the 1mm spacer on a Mavic Ksyrium Elite but not on a Shimano DA C24.