Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is there ever a good time for 3/4 length bibshorts?

I've eschewed the 3/4 length bibshort. It seems such a half-way house between the standard and full-length bibshort. If it's warm standard shorts apply and if it is cold, then full-length ones sort that out.....and if there is any doubt then having the leg warmers covers the bases.

But this year, with the onset of autumn I've been thinking about 3/4 length for a change. Perhaps I don't want my porridge too hot, nor too cold, but just right.

I thought I would do a quick straw-poll as to what your thoughts are, yay or nay? At point when the mercury dips do you decide on these?

OR should I apply rule #5?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have several pairs of Tracksters left over from my running days and wear them (one pair at a time) over my shorts when it gets chilly.

Not adding to the debate, but I thought you'd like to know  1

Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got the dhb Roubaix-ey winter longs and 3/4s (can't remember the model name) and I wear the 3/4s loads more than the longs. Just find them more comfy and that my shins can look after themselves.

I live in the Midlands though, maybe they make less sense if you're somewhere with harsher conditions.

pcaley | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wear 3/4 bibs more than anything else, having one pair in lycra by Lusso and a roubaix pair by DHB. They cover all by the coldest winter and hottest summer days, and keep my dodgy knees nice and warm. I used to use Knee warmers but the seams were uncomfortable, and my shorts used to ride up over them.

BBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

3/4 shorts make perfect sense.
Thighs and KNEES get (subjectively) colder than shins so they need ever so slightly more thermal protection. What's not to understand?

I wonder if anyone would ever bothered with warmers if it weren't the pros using them  3

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

^^ If roubaix 3/4 are the shorts that are fuzzy inside then I totally agree with the chap above. Really versatile nicer to wear than full bib tights easier to get on and off etc I have a pair of Lusso ones that have been going for few years

The only downside is most of my 3/4's have tears/holes in the knees from using them mountain biking.

monty dog | 10 years ago
0 likes

Roubaix 3/4s are the most versatile item of bike kit IMO - I've worn them for all day epics like the Southdowns Way in summer where the temperature didn't get above 10 degrees to CX racing in the snow and ice. I have a drawer-full of kneewarmers of various brands and they rarely stay put - I only tend to use them early in rides where I know it'll warm-up later. I remember when the the likes of Eddy van Hooydonck first started wearing them in the Spring Classics and I had a fab pair of purple Assos ones about 1990!

andrewduffy | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have fleecy 3/4 bibs from Endura. If I feel I need something that warm I just put on full length tights. The 3/4 hardly get used.

I recently bought some Lycra 3/4 bib shorts from DHB. These are good for summer days and when it gets a bit cool. I need to look after my dodgy knees. These get used a lot more.

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Next year at Eurobike: Look out for the 5/8ths and 7/8ths bibs...

Wear them with those stupid toe covers for your shoes and you have a bespoke solution for those in between days  21

VeloPeo replied to arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Next year at Eurobike: Look out for the 5/8ths and 7/8ths bibs...

When you've got short legs, 3/4 become 7/8 automatically  1

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

In all my long-tights-wearing days I can't say I have ever felt "damn, my ankles and shins are too hot!" 3/4s are the solution to a problem that never existed.

bendertherobot replied to chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

In all my long-tights-wearing days I can't say I have ever felt "damn, my ankles and shins are too hot!" 3/4s are the solution to a problem that never existed.

Neither have I. But that's not really the issue. More the reverse really. It's all about the knees. Knees are good. Need to keep them warm.

In all the days of wearing 3/4's in close to freezing conditions I've never once thought "damn my shins are too cold."

Generally I take care of my ankles with socks  3

ajmarshal1 replied to chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

By that logic knee warmers should also be redundant. I wear my 3/4 through Autumn, winter and spring. Slightly thermal lined and keep my knees and hips warm. I run very hot so always feel like I'm cooking in longs.

They work for me.

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Always wear my dhb 3/4 theyre amazing.in summer i wear short bibshorts,i don't think you ever need to wear full length

Al__S replied to Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes
Shanefutcher wrote:

Always wear my dhb 3/4 theyre amazing.in summer i wear short bibshorts,i don't think you ever need to wear full length

Riding through thick fog at temperatures below 0°C believe me you DEFINITELY need the warmest pair of full lengths you can get your hands on. In those conditions, you get ice forming everywhere. Really don't want exposed skin!

(commuting, gotta love it)

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

In answer to the posters question: Yes. Winter - unless it's wet.

The 3/4 Thermofleece Endura jobbies I have do for almost anything. Warmer than shorts and knee warmers and less faff. I don't seem to feel the cold in my calves/shins and with decent length sock, full tights seem superfluous.

Maybe people prefer to keep their shorts and add knee warmers as it looks that little bit more 'pro'. Go on admit it.  3

jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes

If it's cold enough that one layer of Lycra isn't enough I just wear fuzzy longs.

In this respect, Rule 5 can sod off because not-being-injured allows more of Rule 9 and Rule 22.

timbola | 10 years ago
0 likes

Used bibshorts with kneewarmers for several years, but bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Pro Thermal 3/4 bibshorts back in March, I believe, at a bargain price. They are excellent for cool riding ... always reckon it is critical to keep the knees toasty to avoid joint problems and 3/4s are just the ticket. Still like kneewarmers as well, though, especially when I commute early and it is definitely sunny in the afternoon, but 3/4 bibs are, ultimately, less of a faff. The bargain I got with a really comfortable pad was too good to miss as I needed a replacement for a worn-out pair of bibshorts.
In summary ...  39 ...  41

Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use my Santini 3/4 lengths a lot in autumn and spring as having cold knees is not pleasant. I would say I use them a lot more than my full tights.

velodromerocket | 10 years ago
0 likes

3/4 not for me, style over functionality. Would rather be cold...

bendertherobot replied to velodromerocket | 10 years ago
0 likes
velodromerocket wrote:

3/4 not for me, style over functionality. Would rather be cold...

I can assure you I don't wear bib KNICKERS for style purposes  26

Bexleyhillbilly | 10 years ago
0 likes

My 3/4s have sunk to the bottom of my drawer. They were only really useful for 3 weeks in the spring and three in the autumn. I find fleecy knee warmers much more versatile - either with lycra shorts or with roubaix ones when it gets cooler. They also have the advantage of covering your thighs - which are doing the work - with a double layer of fabric, so that they are kept warmer. At a pinch you can take them off and stash them if it really does decide to warm up.

bendertherobot | 10 years ago
0 likes

Incidentally, the "problem" with knee warmers is what shorts are you adding them to?

If they are roubaix warmers to roubaix shorts (DHB Vaeon etc) then I can see why that versatility would be good. But lycra warmers to plain lycra shorts isn't good enough for the cold.

There aren't many roubaix shorts around but the choice of warm 3/4's is much wider.

bendertherobot | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have four pairs. I use them for anything from about 3 degrees to 15 or so. They are brilliant. I own less bibtights as a result of owning them.

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

I get knee problems with shorts, calf cramps with tights and no troubles at all with my 3/4 dhb's  39

racingcondor | 10 years ago
0 likes

3/4 length. Meh says I. Thats what warmers are for and if they're not comfy they're not the rigjt ones.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

I value long term joint mobility so I always try to cover my knees in cooler conditions. About 15C is the minimum, a little higher if it's a windy day.

Knee warmers are flexible so handy for days when you know it's going to warm up enough to stuff them in a pocket but I find the 3/4 are less fiddly.

And I can tell you for nothing that Rule 5 or any macho b*ll*cks is no use when you've torn your calf muscle on a nippy morning commute because you didn't cover your legs properly  2

mr-andrew | 10 years ago
0 likes

I grew up in South Africa. We wore shorts. That's it. Sometimes, on a really cold day, some tights. Since moving to the UK I've adopted 3/4's as my go-to item of clothing - I sometimes even wear them in summer.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

When I was a kid, I would jump on the bike in sleet and batter out a 40 mile circuit wearing shorts without any difficulty...

Up to age of 40 I wouldn't have been seen dead in a pair of lycra capri pants.
At 40, I began to keep knee warmers on for entire rides.
At 41, after freezing my knees on a long fast descent in deep shade on an otherwise warm day (for western Scotland), I bought the lycra capri pants.

... It would seem that old age doesn't come alone!

Generally, I'd say 12-16 degrees is where they become invaluable (to me) and we get a lot of days in that range where I live.

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi
I have both knee warmers and 3/4 bibs, knee warmers are handy, but 3/4 bibs are much much better, i hve just bought 3/4 bibs from galibier clothing for £31 v comfy and excellent price

rockfield | 10 years ago
0 likes

Love mine. Perfect for autumn and spring rides and early morning starts in summer.

Pages

Latest Comments