Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Greeting other cyclists -Wife rules

Hi, I explained to the wife the other day that when I'm wearing a cap under my helmet I change my method of greeting other cyclists from a wave and a nod to a touch of the peak of my cap. She called me a pillock and to rub further salt in my wounds she stated that my Rapha cap made me look like Billy Bunter.

She's recently acquired a road bike and hangs out on the hills no matter how gentle an incline.

What should I do?

A. Ignore her.
B. Start waving again.
C. 'Accidentally' take her on a ride with a cheeky climb on it.

Thanks

Duncs

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

Cooks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Divorce

egb | 10 years ago
0 likes

Caps under helmets look silly. Ditch the hat and start waving again  103 . Also, make sure that every route you take starts out flat then involves a beast of a climb towards the end.

Dunks517 replied to egb | 10 years ago
0 likes
egb wrote:

Caps under helmets look silly. Ditch the hat and start waving again  103 . Also, make sure that every route you take starts out flat then involves a beast of a climb towards the end.

There lies the rub. I live on a hill therefore the three roads that lead to it are uphill.

badback | 10 years ago
0 likes

Buy a tandem & stick her on the front. You can fiddle with your cap as much as you want then. (unless it's my wife who has eyes in the back of her head and doesn't miss a thing)

Dunks517 replied to badback | 10 years ago
0 likes

My friends and I thought about doing a sportive such as the Etape Caledonia (as it's quite flat) on one of those 3 person tridems (sic) just like The Goodies.

Dunks517 replied to badback | 10 years ago
0 likes

My friends and I thought about doing a sportive such as the Etape Caledonia (as it's quite flat) on one of those 3 person tridems (sic) just like The Goodies.

eurotrash | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fuckin lol! Can't believe people are giving serious advice here...  4

Dunks517 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've changed the screen saver on the Apple TV to black and white Rapha women's images to encourage her to get out more. I heard a cry out for help last week so I dashed up stairs and found her on the floor having treated herself to the delights of the foam roller.

Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes

WWSKD?

(What Would Sean Kelly Do?)

mooleur replied to Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:

WWSKD?

(What Would Sean Kelly Do?)

Probs bang in some ephedrine and show the missus a damn good time.

netclectic | 10 years ago
0 likes

sign her up to road.cc  3

Gary rb | 10 years ago
0 likes

option C = move to Kent. They don't wave to each other in that county !  40

OldRidgeback | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you keep leaving her behind and also commenting on her reddening face on long climbs, she might end up your ex-wife.

rix replied to OldRidgeback | 10 years ago
0 likes
OldRidgeback wrote:

If you keep leaving her behind and also commenting on her reddening face on long climbs, she might end up your ex-wife.

A bit more subtle way to annoy someone, without saying anything, is to ride close behind and make sure you freewheel a lot. Loud freehub is especially effective.  1

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

From a ladyperspective - I hated everything to do with cycling, including and especially the idea of men with skinny arms in skin tight apparel and hats that look like something my Da used to wear to school - until I started cycling.

Give me all the hats and let me drool over Froomies pipecleaners anyday.

Lesson is - give it time, and chuck some hills in while you're there for the giggles, give out some positive encouragement, the more she does 'em the more she'll enjoy 'em. We all have to start somewhere.

My other half is considerably faster (we both race) than me but we still like a bit of banter when we do go out together, when I'm strong and he's tired it can be fun challenging him. Just don't make it too often unless you're willing to make sacrifices, and don't rub it in her face that you're faster when you do go out together (not saying you do but with great power comes great testosterone) - women are different no matter what level they are, it can easily result in domestics.

No comment on the Rapha cap.

Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

or buy a tandem  4

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

And this is (one reason) why women don't cycle.

Put at least 10kg of junk in your panniers, then ride together. Evens things out a bit, most of all on the climbs.

Colin Peyresourde replied to PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes
PJ McNally wrote:

And this is (one reason) why women don't cycle.

Put at least 10kg of junk in your panniers, then ride together. Evens things out a bit, most of all on the climbs.

Are you:

a) suggesting she has a big arse, or

b) that's the route to equality

I agree either way. I just hope my GF doesn't read this, otherwise she'll twist my pair.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't buy her a Rapha cap unless she's earned it.

Dunks517 replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

You didn't use sarcasm tags when quoting that! She does come out with me then I drop her back at home, she has taken a shine to this cap, she likes the colours. The red matches her face when cycling:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Molteni-Cycling-Cap-Merckx-/151134966974?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item23305894be

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Dunks517 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dunks517 wrote:
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

You didn't use sarcasm tags when quoting that!

I'm too epic for sarcasm.  22

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why don't you go out riding together?shes probably jealous of the cap,i do the same thing

sm | 10 years ago
0 likes

D. Buy her a matching a cap.

She won't be able to resist the hat tip.

Dunks517 replied to sm | 10 years ago
0 likes
sm wrote:

D. Buy her a matching a cap.

She won't be able to resist the hat tip.

Thanks, I didn't anticipate a fourth option.

Duncs

Sadly Biggins replied to Dunks517 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dunks517 wrote:

Duncs

E. find a longish hill, overtake her, celebrate wildly, drop back, repeat.

I'm not helping am I.....

Dunks517 replied to Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sadly Biggins wrote:
Dunks517 wrote:

Duncs

I'm not helping am I.....

I already ride just ahead of her in the casual deliberate style, one hand off the bars, sat in the big ring, mouthing words of encouragement such as "chop, chop" and that pearl of wisdom "it'll be downhill in a minute just over the next rise". All the while , her beetroot head is growing darker.

lolol replied to Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sadly Biggins wrote:
Dunks517 wrote:

Duncs

Don't forget to make a car passing/motorbike noise as you pass, or whistling, these things are really helpful and motivating to the struggling rider. Arent they?

Latest Comments