Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mont Ventoux - Places to stay, bikes to hire

Am going to do the Club Cinglés de Mont Ventoux next year. Any recommendations for places to stay? And comments about hiring bikes too? I've been looking at Veloventoux, but I would like to give myself some options. I've done some brief research, but cannot find anywhere else (in English) that offers something as cycling specific as this.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

DaSy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I cannot recommend VeloVentoux highly enough. I have stayed there several times, and Craig and Vicky are fantastic hosts, the accommodation is lovely, and food is really nice.
Craig is a very good cyclist, racing and winning in the French leagues, and provides a great workshop as well as good advice on routes etc. He can also organise hire bikes for you at a good rate I believe.
Craig will also provide support for a Cingles if you need it, and he has the carnets you need to complete the event, so no need to book with Monsieur Pic.

I did my Cingles while staying with Craig, although without any support, and Craig gave loads of good advice as well as provide all the required paperwork.

Yorkiechan | 8 years ago
0 likes

We stayed at Le Mas de Maupas last year in Malaucene.
The property is owned by Annie an English lady and is absolutely lovely.

http://lemaupas.net/

mattm | 8 years ago
0 likes

We stayed at Veloventoux in September last year and they were fantastic hosts. Sorted bike hire.

Yorky-M | 8 years ago
0 likes

Super help. thanks

Plumieux | 10 years ago
0 likes

I did it out of Bedoin in April this year.It was about 25deg at the base and 7 deg at the summit,in fact there was still some snow around T.Simpson's stèle.I took some arm warmers for the descent.

You need to pay attention to the weather because if the Mistral is blowing then the speed will be alot higher on the mountain.

Colin Peyresourde replied to Plumieux | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good news. I think I'll plan to get early so that any wind is minimal and that we give us a proper length of rope with which to hang ourselves.

mike the bike | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can recommend Veloventoux. It's laid-back but provides everything you might need, including bike hire.

I was advised to go in the first half of May as the weather is reliably fine but not too hot. It worked for me, although it was bitterly cold at the summit we were well wrapped.

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Seriously, look no further than Veloventoux. They are superb *and* do bike hire too. Been twice, going again next time I can get enough brownie points together.

Cingles - B-M-S is the traditional way of doing it, aye. Both times I have done Malaucene first, however.

And plan a gert big meal at Chalet Reynard on the third descent so that it's hit the system in time for Sault which *is* the easiest but doesn't particularly feel it with the other two already in your legs...

Galerien/Bicinglette - mentalist to even consider it  3

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

Great stuff. That gives us a lot of options. Any thoughts on how to tackle the Cingles? I was planning on the Bedoin, Malaucene and finally Sault route, with a view to perhaps the forest route after that....if I dare try the Galerien.

Plumieux | 10 years ago
0 likes

Try looking at luberon-biking.fr run by Hubert Flechais.As I work in the area I have met him a few times and his bikes seemed well maintained.He delivers the bike to your location in the area.

Look at Vaison La Romaine for places to stay.This year I used a hôtel called La Fête en Provence and found the prices reasonable,also plenty of restaurants and bars in the town.The area to the east of Vaison offers some great cycling.Try going up the Col De Fontaube via Eygalier or the Toulourenc Valley to the north of Ventoux.Climb the Col de Macuègne,then Col de Negron on to Sault and Aurel for a great circuit.

Whilst you are in the area try the Montagne De Lure.A stage of the Paris-Nice race had a stage finish there this year.I climbed it last year and did in 1h 15m.Look at chellenge-lure.com

mrpt5 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I hired from France Bike Rentals in Bedoin.

http://www.francebikerentals.com/Default.aspx?tabid=36

They ask for some basic dimensions and the Trek I had did not need adjusting.

jackdawmagpie | 10 years ago
0 likes

There's a really good campsite on the edge of the town: http://www.bedoin.fr/fr/information/29810/camping-municipal.

I stayed there this summer and I also hired a bike from La Route; I found them a bit aloof, but the Trek they supplied was decent, cheap, and did a job. They open at 8am; I walked from the campsite to the hire place in about 20 minutes, picked up the bike and was at the top by 9.50. Had the bike back by 12.30, was eating quiche on the marketplace by 12.37.

bendy | 10 years ago
0 likes

For bike hire I've used La Route Du Ventoux shop in Bedoin quite a few times. It is right at the start of the D974. Is a bit tricky to find on the web but here's the link:

http://www.velofrancelocations.fr/

They got all kinds of bikes to hire and have all pedal styles.

There's a nice pick of the owner with Chris Froome too from this year. They are really nice people that run the shop. The bikes are good too. Mostly Trek, they got carbon frames and Di2 if you want to go all out and be sub 8kg.

Oh yeah they speak good english. Call them they might give you info on somewhere to stay. Or try the Bedoin tourist office: http://www.bedoin.org/accueil/hebergement.aspx

But for accommodation I would use gites de France and find somewhere near Bedoin or Sault.

If you are feeling super strong why not do the "Bicinglette"

"Bicinglette - represents twice the Cinglé, six ascents and six descents: Bédoin twice, Malaucène twice and Sault twice, 272 km and 8886 m difference in level."

Bon courage pour Le Club

Colin Peyresourde replied to bendy | 10 years ago
0 likes
bendy wrote:

But for accommodation I would use gites de France and find somewhere near Bedoin or Sault.

If you are feeling super strong why not do the "Bicinglette"

"Bicinglette - represents twice the Cinglé, six ascents and six descents: Bédoin twice, Malaucène twice and Sault twice, 272 km and 8886 m difference in level."

Bon courage pour Le Club

I had thought about the Bicinglette. Let me see how I do with the Cingles. Though the Galrien seems achievable and might be an outside chance of achieving it. But 'there are no gifts' on Mt. Ventoux as the website says. It maybe even getting up there once is a problem.

I read the article in 'The Cyclist' where they go up Ventoux. The pictures show them being blown off the mountain, what is most shocking is that this was in June!

sooper6 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I also intend to do the Club Cinglés de Mont Ventoux, I have had Veloventoux recommended to me by several people.

Latest Comments