Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter Jersey

Hi I am looking to buy a new winter jersey, I cycle regularly through the winter I was looking at the Castelli Gabba I really fancy it ,but boy is it expensive any other recommendations cheers really dont want to spend that much unless absolutely essential

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

VeloPeo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another one for Gabba - best money I've spent in years.

I did Newcastle to London 24hr in August - and it rained for 17 of the 24hrs. Used a Gabba with Nanoflex arm and knee warmers and the combination was fantastic.

In colder weather I use an UnderArmour ColdGear base layer with it and I've been out in -5C and comfortable in those

Yes it's expensive, yes it's worth it. Believe the hype  1

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gabba, & Nanoflex arm warmers, you can't beat it.
If it gets into the low single digits I usually stick a thicker merino base layer on under it, keeps me at a comfortable temperature as opposed to the boil in the bag I find with 'proper' jackets.

lazyusername | 10 years ago
0 likes

A torm longsleeved wool jersey does me pretty much all winter with differing baselayers with a sportful gillet thing rolled up in a back pocket for the wet stuff

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

For racing, if you're thinking Gabba, buy Gabba. It is without doubt the best on the market for wind and water protection... But it's not super warm.

However, as I suspect you're unlikely to be racing over the winter, so it then comes down to need vs. Desire. Do you need a very expensive jersey when layering kit you probably already own will be almost as effective?

Eg for a wet sub 10C I'd select summer mesh baselayer, standard long sleeve jersey and a jacket. If it was dry, the jacket would be swapped for a gilet. Like 700c, I have lots of cheap kit that when used as part of a layering strategy performs very well.

dunnoh replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

For racing, if you're thinking Gabba, buy Gabba. It is without doubt the best on the market for wind and water protection... But it's not super warm.

However, as I suspect you're unlikely to be racing over the winter, so it then comes down to need vs. Desire. Do you need a very expensive jersey when layering kit you probably already own will be almost as effective?

Eg for a wet sub 10C I'd select summer mesh baselayer, standard long sleeve jersey and a jacket. If it was dry, the jacket would be swapped for a gilet. Like 700c, I have lots of cheap kit that when used as part of a layering strategy performs very well.

I use my Gabba for commuting - Ive tried all the jackets and I still end up steaming by the time I get to work. I have all the kit you talk about and invariably I have been caught out on loads of occasions. Now I wear the same outfit everyday. Helly Hansen baselayer, No-Rain bib and a Gabba. If its really cold I will stick an Aldi Merino base layer on as well. Its expensive, but cheap if you compare it to all the kit I'm basically not using now. Plus I just pretend its cheap and keep all the receipts in the shed well away from the misses.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

My approach has always been to layer up - so I have a base layer, Jersey (same as summer) then jacket and even a windproof shell or waterproof jacket.

This means you can adapt your outfit as the ride progresses

NB my jacket was 18 quid from aldi, waterproof 35 quid from mountain warehouse and no complaints at all!

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Gabba a few weeks ago. Took me three months to part with the cash as its a silly amount for a jersey. Went out the other day. A nice flat 64 miles and a steep hill (Mow Cop). I set out at 7 in the morning and it was freezing. It poured it down halfway and the wind was horrendous for the last 22 miles. And its worth every penny!

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi
Have u tried the foska website they have sale on at moment on winter cycling jerseys

SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like the Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream jersey, I had the Version 1 and have just got the Version 3. It's windproof, rather than waterproof, but it does repel water pretty well and doesn't go cold once it's wet. The fit is great too. You can pick up one for about £60.

Latest Comments