Home

After quite a while of abuse I've decide my spoke key needs replacing but have hit on a problem.

It's quite an old round jobby with the guage on eg 15-11. As most of my spokes are ether 14 or 15 guage i decided to look for something simpler. Now the only ones I can find are metric, eg 3mm.

Which metric size do I need or what is the conversion process?

Many thanks.

4 comments

Marauder [274 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I needed to use one of my mates a few months ago and it was in the shape of a cross with a different size on each end, 1-4mm IIRC.

Not sure where he got it from though.

drfabulous0 [408 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Sheldon Brown says

"The diameter of spokes is sometimes expressed in terms of wire gauges. There are several different national systems of gauge sizes, and this has been a great cause of confusion. A particular problem is that French gauge numbers get smaller for thinner wires, while the U.S./British gauge numbers get larger for thinner wires. The crossover point is right in the popular range of sizes used for bicycle spokes:

U.S./British 14 gauge is the same as French 13 gauge
U.S./British 13 gauge is the same as French 15 gauge

Newer I.S.O. practice is to ignore gauge numbers, and refer to spokes by their diameter in millimeters:

U.S./British 13 gauge is 2.3 mm
U.S./British 14 gauge is 2.0 mm
U.S./British 15 gauge is 1.8 mm
U.S./British 16 gauge is 1.6 mm"

Personally I would just go to the bike shop and see what fits good.

chokofingrz [407 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

FWIW, those Spokey one-size-doesn't-fit-all ones are meant to be superior to the ring-shaped multi-size ones.

Yorkshie Whippet [581 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Cheers.