Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spoke keys

After quite a while of abuse I've decide my spoke key needs replacing but have hit on a problem.

It's quite an old round jobby with the guage on eg 15-11. As most of my spokes are ether 14 or 15 guage i decided to look for something simpler. Now the only ones I can find are metric, eg 3mm.

Which metric size do I need or what is the conversion process?

Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Yorkshie Whippet | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers.

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

FWIW, those Spokey one-size-doesn't-fit-all ones are meant to be superior to the ring-shaped multi-size ones.

drfabulous0 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sheldon Brown says

"The diameter of spokes is sometimes expressed in terms of wire gauges. There are several different national systems of gauge sizes, and this has been a great cause of confusion. A particular problem is that French gauge numbers get smaller for thinner wires, while the U.S./British gauge numbers get larger for thinner wires. The crossover point is right in the popular range of sizes used for bicycle spokes:

U.S./British 14 gauge is the same as French 13 gauge
U.S./British 13 gauge is the same as French 15 gauge

Newer I.S.O. practice is to ignore gauge numbers, and refer to spokes by their diameter in millimeters:

U.S./British 13 gauge is 2.3 mm
U.S./British 14 gauge is 2.0 mm
U.S./British 15 gauge is 1.8 mm
U.S./British 16 gauge is 1.6 mm"

Personally I would just go to the bike shop and see what fits good.

Marauder | 10 years ago
0 likes

I needed to use one of my mates a few months ago and it was in the shape of a cross with a different size on each end, 1-4mm IIRC.

Not sure where he got it from though.

Latest Comments