Sports Betting Odds Explanation

by enrique   September 24, 2013  

Some online betting sites have Tony Martin at 11/10 and others at 10/11. Can someone explain to me in practical terms how those bets work? Thanks! Smile

9 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

At 11/10... If you put 10 dollars on at that price then you would win 11 dollars, plus get your 10 dollar stake back..21 dollars in total...

At 10/11 he is more of a favourite...This time to win 21 dollars, you would need to put 11 dollars on to win 10 dollars...

Hope this helps......

I used dollars as I know how much a tenner pains you... Smile

stevespro

STEVESPRO 79's picture

posted by STEVESPRO 79 [479 posts]
24th September 2013 - 19:02

like this
Like (1)

Ok, I'm not a gambler but those look like pretty good odds to me... Aren't these houses sort of giving away money at those odds, with Tony being the favorite?... It sounds "odd" Smile... You do get your atake back in both if you win, right?

Ok, I was laughing about the tenner joke... Big Grin Then I thought it was cruel... Crying But then I thought it was funny anyway Big Grin But then I thought I didn't have one... Crying But then... Well, you know how those of us with bipolar disorders flip 'n flop... Thanks! Smile

Vive Le Road.cc Fantasy Cycling Game!

posted by enrique [1508 posts]
24th September 2013 - 20:12

like this
Like (1)

At the risk of confusing Enrique (and anyone else not familiar with gambling parlance), if you split the difference between the 11/10 and 10/11 odds, you get... evens Wink

(ie 'even money' - put on £10, win £10 (plus your original £10 back) Nerd

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [7897 posts]
24th September 2013 - 20:22

like this
Like (1)

I wouldn't put money on anyone with those odds. I'd rather put money on an outsider to podium....10/1 kind style

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8681 posts]
24th September 2013 - 20:56

like this
Like (1)

T'm going to bookmark this thread, never have known what all that stuff means!

So what does all the jargon mean, like 'each way' etc?

If I could have, say, 6 bikes, would it stop me drooling over others that I don't have?

posted by notfastenough [2937 posts]
25th September 2013 - 12:05

like this
Like (0)

And in case anyone's interested in the UCI Election:
Pat McQuaid 5/2
Brian Cookson 1/4
Courtesy of Paddypower.

posted by The Rumpo Kid [590 posts]
25th September 2013 - 12:28

like this
Like (1)

Can I bet on McQuaid each way? Big Grin

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
25th September 2013 - 12:37

like this
Like (1)

notfastenough wrote:
T'm going to bookmark this thread, never have known what all that stuff means!

So what does all the jargon mean, like 'each way' etc?

I'm afraid an explanation of all the jargon would fill an encyclopaedia. "Each way" means you are effectively making two bets, and the bookies pay a quarter of the odds if your choice "places" i.e finishes in the first three (four in a large field). So if you back a 4/1 horse at £1 each way and it finishes first, you get £4 for the win, and £1 for the place, and your two £1 stakes back, meaning £7. If it finishes second, you lose the £1 win stake, win £1 for the place, get your place stake back, and break even.

25th September 2013 - 12:39

like this
Like (1)

drheaton wrote:
Can I bet on McQuaid each way? Big Grin

I was just about to edit the post along those lines! Actually a gambling friend of mine always bets against his favourite Football Team. That way he's happy when they win, and has some financial compensation when they lose.

25th September 2013 - 12:43

like this
Like (1)