Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sports Betting Odds Explanation

Some online betting sites have Tony Martin at 11/10 and others at 10/11. Can someone explain to me in practical terms how those bets work? Thanks!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Can I bet on McQuaid each way?  4

The Rumpo Kid replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Can I bet on McQuaid each way?  4

I was just about to edit the post along those lines! Actually a gambling friend of mine always bets against his favourite Football Team. That way he's happy when they win, and has some financial compensation when they lose.

The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes

And in case anyone's interested in the UCI Election:
Pat McQuaid 5/2
Brian Cookson 1/4
Courtesy of Paddypower.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

T'm going to bookmark this thread, never have known what all that stuff means!

So what does all the jargon mean, like 'each way' etc?

The Rumpo Kid replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

T'm going to bookmark this thread, never have known what all that stuff means!

So what does all the jargon mean, like 'each way' etc?

I'm afraid an explanation of all the jargon would fill an encyclopaedia. "Each way" means you are effectively making two bets, and the bookies pay a quarter of the odds if your choice "places" i.e finishes in the first three (four in a large field). So if you back a 4/1 horse at £1 each way and it finishes first, you get £4 for the win, and £1 for the place, and your two £1 stakes back, meaning £7. If it finishes second, you lose the £1 win stake, win £1 for the place, get your place stake back, and break even.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't put money on anyone with those odds. I'd rather put money on an outsider to podium....10/1 kind style

Simon_MacMichael | 10 years ago
0 likes

At the risk of confusing Enrique (and anyone else not familiar with gambling parlance), if you split the difference between the 11/10 and 10/11 odds, you get... evens  3

(ie 'even money' - put on £10, win £10 (plus your original £10 back)  26

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I'm not a gambler but those look like pretty good odds to me... Aren't these houses sort of giving away money at those odds, with Tony being the favorite?... It sounds "odd" :)... You do get your atake back in both if you win, right?

Ok, I was laughing about the tenner joke...  4 Then I thought it was cruel...  20 But then I thought it was funny anyway  4 But then I thought I didn't have one...  20 But then... Well, you know how those of us with bipolar disorders flip 'n flop... Thanks!  1

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

At 11/10... If you put 10 dollars on at that price then you would win 11 dollars, plus get your 10 dollar stake back..21 dollars in total...

At 10/11 he is more of a favourite...This time to win 21 dollars, you would need to put 11 dollars on to win 10 dollars...

Hope this helps......

I used dollars as I know how much a tenner pains you...  1

Latest Comments