Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Two-fold question thanks in advance

Any advice or help to find a second hand Garmin 800 apart from e-bay and rough idea of what the "going rate" is for this?
And what clothing should i be looking for to get through 500 miles a month this winter please

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Those boots a skull cap and under gloves now ordered!  4 thanks all brilliant answers as always  41

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Like B.Clanger, I use unpadded waist tights with lycra shorts or coolmax undershorts.

A few mornings a couple of winters ago when it was about -8C to -10C I wore walking boots, my windproof fleece and 2 pairs of tights. When it's sub-zero I find that getting the blood moving (and warming gloves on the radiator) before I leave the house helps too. Try inner/liner gloves if you have room in your winter gloves, and make sure your arms are warm enough as having cold arms will reduce blood flow to your hands.

You should be able to edit your posts to fix typos or rephrase a comment - look for the 'edit' link alongside 'reply' and 'quote' beneath your posts.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

You've heard of them now!
http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3390&g=259971&p=259...

Honestly, they made such a difference last winter. I suffer from numb toes even when i've got thick shoecovers and wooly socks, and these kept me close to warm on even the coldest, snowiest day.

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

winter boots?! never even heard of them! clip in boots?! (sorry if im being stupid!)

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh winter, you cruel mistress.

Last winter I was the best prepared I'd ever been. Got some winter bibs from the Assos factory outlet which really helped. On the coldest days, uniqlo long johns underneath. Also bought some winter boots which are a bloody godsend. Kept my feet totally dry and warm. Highly, highly recommended. Gloves were a two-stage affair - thin silk liners from Decathlon, with thicker waterproof overs (I used the thick Neoprene Sealskins which are ok, but I'm sure I could find better).
For my upper half, long sleeved baselayers (lidl helped here!) with a Rapha merino winter jersey (sample sale joy, but it's not ideal. Grey doesn't exactly make you stand out on winter roads). Over that, if needed, a gilet.
Head was kept warm with a roubaix ear band thing.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

I commute 500-800 miles a month through winter. I find this useful:

A full set of waterproofs
A softshell windproof
Long and short sleeve baselayers to add layers according to outside temperature
Winter boots
A cycling cap to wear under my helmet
Unpadded tights, a pair of both lightweight and roubaix plus baselayer tights to layer according to the weather
Lobster claw style gloves
Glove liners
A buff

I've found the lobster style gloves to be the warmest when the temperature drops below zero. I use the buff on the coldest days to go over my ears and neck. The cap under the helmet is a great way of keeping your head warm and dry and, as Simon says, it does a great job of keeping the rain out of your eyes. Try it out if you haven't used one before, it made a big difference for me. I use unpadded tights because it lets me get a few days of wear out of them when commuting as I can just change shorts and baselayers underneath. I prefer winter boots to shoe covers as I don't have to faff if it starts raining and they are nice and warm. I also used to get through at least one set of shoe covers per winter so they'll pay for themselves come Spring this year. As a rule, I cover up completely once the temperature goes below 10 degrees even if it just a single layer as I've been told that this helps avoid injury.

Don't forget decent lights and mudguards for your bike either.

If you keep an eye on the weather you'll soon learn how many layers work for you in all conditions. Good luck with your plans to keep riding. Winter miles mean summer smiles!

Stratman | 10 years ago
0 likes

Commuting through winter last year c20miles each way (c once per week) I tend to run hot, but I found this gear made it more than tolerable, but maybe not great fun when you start in the dark on the way in, and it's all dark on the way home

Endura baa baa long sleeve base layer
Goretex phantom softshell
Occasional use of goretex paclite cag - now replaced with castelli Sottile
Endura singletrack trousers
Merino socks
Goretex lined shimano spds
Sealskins skullcap - surprisingly useful
Merino buff - also surprisingly good
Endura dexter wind proof gloves
Ron hill flouro mesh gilet ( bought for running)

Problems - cold feet, now have summer weight shoe covers which also stop rain running into my shoes
Occasional cold legs, especially after an hour or two, trying castelli sorpasso after great experience with Body paint shorts on London-Paris

I did get home one night to discover ice on my helmet and steel frame!

Ps I got a new 800 from handtec as I didn't need the sensors, got free maps (DC rainmakers instructions) and it got us from London to Paris, c£230

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

and 'skull cap'  35 been a long day

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

as i 'cleverly'  4

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

South east ,rural mainly and definitely leisure bordering obsession sometimes (1000 miles last month and working full time  38 ).
Found during the winter last year i coped with a t shirt under the long sleeve under the waterproof. hands still get cold in my gloves maybe should invest in a more expensive gloves.
Went through last year on my mtb so normal pedals so trainers, was thinking some overshoes a good investment(especially as i clever chose white clip in shoes  21
And my head well i do wear a helmet which was sort of perched on top of a wooly hat so maybe a skoll cap (whatever that horrendous sounding piece of kit means)

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Lots of variables. Geography: South coast (balmy) or Highlands (barmy)? Urban or rural? Leisure, training or commuting? Are you an all-weather rider or are you allergic to riding in rain and wind? Do you 'run hot'? If so there's no point getting layered up, you'll boil-in-the-bag. If you feel the cold you may want to cover up more. Experimentation is the way to finding what works for you.

I warm up easily so often find a jersey & armwarmers or a thin merino long sleeve base layer enough under a thin pertex jacket adequate most of the time. Altura cruiser tights and roubaix legwarmers for the bottom half. Overshoes when it's wet or cold or both, cold toes is almost as bad as cold fingers. Have worn a buff under the helmet in the past to protect my head but stopped wearing a helmet now so a cycling cap keeps it warm and dry and the rain out of my eyes.

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its a good idea just to ask on the forum as always has people selling them.always make sure your extremities are warm as its no fun riding with freezing toes.invest in quality overshoes and gloves

sm | 10 years ago
0 likes

Clothing - layers. A good base layer, a jersey and jacket saw me through last winter although I tend to switch training to short sharp intervals - keeps you warm without being out all day.

Garmin - you occasionally see some on the forum here. Try other cycling forums too. They tend to hold their price. This bundle went for £320

Latest Comments