Speeding

by nickwadd   September 18, 2013  

seen this?

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/10682089.Teen_fined_for...

I thought you couldn't get done for speeding? Obviously wrong

12 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Sounds like a park-specific limit, not a public highway issue.
HWC limits apply to motorised vehicles only so you're correct in saying Speeding is not a cycling offence (though 'dangerous and/or 'furious' cycling can be substituted)

No idea on legality, enforcement or other details applied to Richmond Park.

posted by guyonabike [10 posts]
18th September 2013 - 12:31

2 Likes

It's a 20mph limit through the park. If they arrested every cyclist that broke it they wouldn't have any court space for anyone else

There's 2500 riders with a > 20mph average on this lap of the park strava segment
http://www.strava.com/segments/610040

posted by VeloPeo [221 posts]
18th September 2013 - 12:42

2 Likes

Royal Parks Act includes bikes, specifically for Richmond Park I understand. Fair enough.

http://www.frp.org.uk/pdf/frp/44_On_the_Road_In_Richmond_Park_Website_ve...

I was told there would be Cake. Luckily there's http://TestValleyCC.org.uk

KiwiMike's picture

posted by KiwiMike [565 posts]
18th September 2013 - 12:44

2 Likes

VeloPeo wrote:
It's a 20mph limit through the park. If they arrested every cyclist that broke it they wouldn't have any court space for anyone else

There's 2500 riders with a > 20mph average on this lap of the park strava segment
http://www.strava.com/segments/610040

BLOODY SCOFFLAWS! Why isn't the Met tracking down each and every Lycra-clad skinny-arsed one of 'em? Crush their bikes in front of their blubbing eyes I say!

I was told there would be Cake. Luckily there's http://TestValleyCC.org.uk

KiwiMike's picture

posted by KiwiMike [565 posts]
18th September 2013 - 12:46

2 Likes

As KiwiMike says its a Royal Park not a 'normal' highway so has a specific Order that includes cycles, which they do enforce fairly regularly.

It all adds to part of the fun, the Richmond Park 3 lap challenge is a right of passage for a cyclist in South West London isn't it?.....

Didn't David Millar have to write an apology to the Royal Parks a few years ago for doing a lap in about 13 minutes as part of a programme for the BBC?.

On a side note, is/was there special dispensation of the 20 limit for RideLondon.....?

posted by andycoventry [120 posts]
18th September 2013 - 12:53

1 Like

Millar did do it in 13 minutes but it was just a run out with his club. He had no idea the Beeb were going to turn up and film it if I remember correctly. They did have to take the footage off their site pretty soon after.

I didn't hear anything about a special dispensation for RideLondon

posted by nickwadd [23 posts]
18th September 2013 - 13:37

0 Likes

KiwiMike wrote:
VeloPeo wrote:
It's a 20mph limit through the park. If they arrested every cyclist that broke it they wouldn't have any court space for anyone else

There's 2500 riders with a > 20mph average on this lap of the park strava segment
http://www.strava.com/segments/610040

BLOODY SCOFFLAWS! Why isn't the Met tracking down each and every Lycra-clad skinny-arsed one of 'em? Crush their bikes in front of their blubbing eyes I say!

I would fully support that if it only applied to anyone in a fecking D*n*mo jersey

posted by VeloPeo [221 posts]
18th September 2013 - 14:07

1 Like

It's going to be fascinating watching cyclists "drop the anchor" going down Broomfield after spotting a speed gun with the dynamo lot in hot pursuit....

posted by arfa [527 posts]
18th September 2013 - 15:41

2 Likes

andycoventry wrote:
......On a side note, is/was there special dispensation of the 20 limit for RideLondon.....?

I think Ride London was a closed roads event and that would have suspended the provisions of the highway code including speed restrictions, riding on the wrong side of the road and going the wrong way round roundabouts.

Did Nightrider 2013 and 2014 for Parkinson's UK. Might just have one last go in 2015.

jova54's picture

posted by jova54 [628 posts]
19th September 2013 - 6:25

2 Likes

very simple question, a bike does not need a speedo, and if it does have one there is no requirement that it is calibrated.

So how can you be done for speeding?

mrmo's picture

posted by mrmo [1254 posts]
19th September 2013 - 12:16

2 Likes

It's a statutory offence and therefore it doesn't matter if you can't tell how fast you are going. If you're over the limit, that's it.

posted by arfa [527 posts]
19th September 2013 - 12:24

2 Likes

Turns out this all hinges on an obscure and hard to find amendment to the amendments and parks police believing that vehicle includes bikes. Exchange of emails with matey from parks police eventually had him get quite tetchy with me.

Article coming next week, I hope, when I've had some Actual Lawyers look over it.

John Stevenson's picture

posted by John Stevenson [1178 posts]
27th September 2013 - 23:17

2 Likes