Home

I can't help smiling when reading that today's stage is described as FLAT! -- Amongst other things it climbs one of the steepest passes in the Lake district (over 20%), there's another good long climb - Chestnut Hill - out of Keswick, Dunmail Raise is uncategorised, and it finishes up a nasty steep climb in Kendal. I know Cav has won on that finish before, however that day the stage was a much more benign affair.

There's gonna be fun and games today.

43 comments

The Hoggs [3496 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Never flat !

Even yesterdays finish was up a hill.

No Cav for me today, to lumpy.

STEVESPRO 79 [551 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Having spent many hours riding around the lakes, I cannot wait to see how they go up the likes of Honister Pass etc.....Flat....they are having a laugh...
If there is wind and rain, this stage could be anything but fun...

0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Having spent many hours riding around the lakes, I cannot wait to see how they go up the likes of Honister Pass etc.....Flat....they are having a laugh...
If there is wind and rain, this stage could be anything but fun...

Aye, totally agree, its bad enough trying to drive up it and at the mo its bloody windy  2

Mikeh789 [134 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Cav was second in 2007 when the tour last finished in Kendal, 1'43 behind Alexander Serov.

Have to agree, don't see how this stage can be classed as flat-this Strava segment on Beast banks shows it at 8%.

http://www.strava.com/segments/1749696

TERatcliffe26 [4751 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

well thats my team screwed, oh well!

drheaton [3323 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

It's all relative, the profile looks lumpy but only really because the scale is quite small.

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage2/cumbria_route.php

Check out the profile at the bottom of this page. Honnister looks bad but is under 400m altitude. It's steep and Chestnut Hill is not long after but there's 50km between that last categorised climb and the finish. Plenty of time for it all to come back together for a sprint finish.

Also, the finish climbs 40m in the final 1km, that's a gradient of 4%, not something to really frighten the sprinters.

dave atkinson [6360 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

it's all relative, we all know these climbs well but the profile's pretty similar to stage 4 of the vuelta, which was classified as flat and had a steeper climb than honister in it. i was 50/50 between calling it as flat or MM

0 likes

DrH, your right about the climbs and distances etc however i think the crosswinds or the wind in general is going to seriously hamper the teams with the less experienced ones suffering the most.

If the pro teams push it i can see this being a horrible stage for some.

johnny2names [198 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

just read this- having looked at the tour of britain website, i decided it was lumpy enough and a steep enough finish to get rid of cav- I may very well regret this. this made space for visconti and house. also brought in simon yates, 10 points penalty

Ghedebrav [1099 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I think it's great to have stages that are so interesting and UK-specific in their character (manky weather, steep inclines, narrow lanes, lush greenery, sheep etc.). It can only enhance the ToB's reputation. Hopefully the crowds will still come out despite the wind & rain.

chiv30 [987 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Well the weather here in Wales is grim all week but I promise Caerphilly mountain will still be rammed , and I for one will enjoy my ride to Caerphilly and the day no matter the weather  1

livestrongnick [2119 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

dropped delaplace and brought in House, Wiggins and Deignan.

Delaplace in the break  20

0 likes

Averaging the last KM to 4% (imo) gives a false average, taking the start of the last km on Stricklandgate (A5284) through to Kendal town hall, a distance of 500m then yes this would be considered flat, its the left turn up Beast Banks that makes the difference.

I've added a couple of pictures from the 2007 finish on Beast Banks, I hope, the first is of Serov & the second -admittedly not the best-is of Cav.

Of course I'll be happy to be proved wrong & am looking forward to walking down to the finish to see the anticipated bunch sprint ;-). Just hope this rain goes away.

TERatcliffe26 [4751 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Visconti has abandoned

So has Hunter and a couple of others after a crash

on another note, Matt Stephens is saying the finish ramp is 10%, so someones maths is out somewhere  39

0 likes
backflipbedlem [1201 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Visconti has abandoned

Bah!

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Visconti has abandoned

So has Hunter and a couple of others after a crash

on another note, Matt Stephens is saying the finish ramp is 10%, so someones maths is out somewhere  39

It's all about the average, I took mine from the lowest point 1km out to the finish line so this averages 4%. If you discount the 'flat' finish you get a shorter steeper section.

Without seeing the roads, I guess it's hard to predict.

0 likes

25% Bloody Hell, thats a killer!

0 likes

All together at 12km to go, Cavendish and Viviani still in the main field, Wiggins/Dowsett up there too, could be between them for the race lead tomorrow.

0 likes

Ciolek takes the stage.

0 likes

Bugger!! Took Ciolek out this morning!

chrisdstripes [1747 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Wow, I thought I'd blown it for the ToB, but I have Ciolek, Lofqvist and Simon Yates in both teams (1,3,4) plus brought Golas in for standard this morning (5th). Back in the game!
Darn - had both Yates in purist but the wrong one in standard after all. And I think I saw on Twitter earlier that Adam withdrew, although I can't find it now...

0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Wow, I thought I'd blown it for the ToB, but I have Ciolek, Lofqvist and Simon Yates in both teams (1,3,4) plus brought Golas in for standard this morning (5th). Back in the game!
Darn - had both Yates in purist but the wrong one in standard after all. And I think I saw on Twitter earlier that Adam withdrew, although I can't find it now...

yes he did withdraw chris!

0 likes

gees like getting blood out of a stone getting the full results!  14

chiv30 [987 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I think after my strong stage 1 I've had a mare today , as far as I know it's only ciolek and house who have scored for me and I'm not sure on house  7

chrisdstripes [1747 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

And I think I saw on Twitter earlier that Adam withdrew, although I can't find it now...

yes he did withdraw chris!

Thats a shame, was looking forward to seeing him race. Good to see Simon up there though - they were both mighty impressive in the l'Avenir. Might be a penalty transfer looming for tomorrow, after all my good intentions to try to save transfers!

0 likes

confused now  13 Adam Yates listed as finishing todays stage 102nd 30mins down?  39

Ghedebrav [1099 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Good finish today, really enjoyed watching the race. So weird watching a guy like Quintana racing through Ambleside!

0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

Good finish today, really enjoyed watching the race. So weird watching a guy like Quintana racing through Ambleside!

Yeah it was a real treat seeing one of the up and coming superstars in Britain racing through the wind and rain, lets hope it attracts more for next year.

0 likes

According to the Team Sky website Haas DNF but he is still shown as present on my team - any ideas if he did or didnt finish ?

Pages