WTD : Mobile Phone

by Gkam84   September 14, 2013  

Ok folks, a strange post on a cycling forum, I know.

I haven't lived in the 21st century for a while, infact its over 19 months now since I've had a mobile phone. I've borrowed one here and there.

Since I sold my 3g enabled tablet, I can't even send a text message. SO

I am looking to pick up a mobile phone, not looking for anything fancy, here are my requirements

MUST be Android
On the Three network or unlocked
MUST be able to be turned into a WiFi hotspot OR run tweetcaster app....

There, that's all.

I require it before I take off on another LeJoGLe adventure as a UMCA official with Chris "Hoppo" Hopkinson at the end of October.

Let me know what you have and what you are asking for it below or in a message.

Thanks

Kam

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Keith - I have a Sony X10 Mini Pro, unlocked. Not sure if you can use it as a hotspot.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/support/phones/xperia-x10-mini-pro/

It's yours if you want it

Lul

andylul's picture

posted by andylul [417 posts]
16th September 2013 - 22:38

3 Likes

I have replied to your DM on twitter Wink

Only thing is, doesn't hotspot Sad

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9202 posts]
16th September 2013 - 23:37

4 Likes

Not sure of your budget but these are an absurd bargain at the moment: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_16_GB?id=nexus_4_16gb

posted by Mr Will [91 posts]
17th September 2013 - 11:52

3 Likes

Nexus 4 is a great phone but its probably overspecced for what you want and a bit fragile. I would try and pick up something like a Samsung Galaxy Ace or something from Huawei.

BTW - If you want to use Three and your phone as a wifi hotpsot you have to pay extra for it, its something like £5 for a month

joemmo's picture

posted by joemmo [1026 posts]
17th September 2013 - 12:54

3 Likes

I had an all you can eat sim card thingy, £10 top up gives you all the data you can chew through. I used to hotspot back when I had a phone without any issues.

The Nexus is a great wee phone, my uncle has one, but its around 4-5x my budget Laughing

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9202 posts]
17th September 2013 - 13:02

4 Likes

Hi there, I have an HTC Desire on Three that I used to use as a wi-fi hotspot and also used it with apps like MapMyRide, Edmondo, Strava and so on. It is a little scuffed around the edges where the clip over case goes but other than that it is spot on. Screen protector been on since new so the screen is fine. I was keeping it as a spare but would be ok with letting it go for £50 via paypal posted if you are interested.
My number is 07403724367.
Cheers
Cameron

4 wheels, 3 wheels or 2, we love them all at www.arcticpack.co.uk

posted by cameronpack [2 posts]
19th September 2013 - 12:01

4 Likes

joemmo wrote:
Nexus 4 is a great phone but its probably overspecced for what you want and a bit fragile. I would try and pick up something like a Samsung Galaxy Ace or something from Huawei.

BTW - If you want to use Three and your phone as a wifi hotpsot you have to pay extra for it, its something like £5 for a month

Not if you pay for unlimited data.
Cameron

4 wheels, 3 wheels or 2, we love them all at www.arcticpack.co.uk

posted by cameronpack [2 posts]
19th September 2013 - 12:17

4 Likes