Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

In the news

Good articles these. You don't often see writing of this quality even in the quality papers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10293094/It-took-satnav-18-...

This one is more judgemental:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/micwright/100010363/we-should-wa...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

qwerky | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Another neighbour, Ronnie Mendoza, 47, said of the sentence: “I think it’s all a bit harsh. I know it should never have happened, but anyone could make that mistake.”

And this is what's wrong with society's view on driving, someone can act in an inexcusably negligent way, causing death, and its seen as normal.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

They are indeed a bit more than is usually seen. I was very disturbed by the neighbour that said it's a bit harsh, anyone can make a mistake...

A mistake is looking away for a second or two. Eighteen is just stupidity.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sorry yes there's nothing wrong with the link i just couldn't or should i say didn't want to read it.

Very sad indeed, but it needs more accounts like this to make people sit up and realise how they can easily destroy lives and families.

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not putting words in his mouth but I think it's that the first one is a bit of a heart string puller the link works fine.

OldRidgeback | 10 years ago
0 likes

Stumps - Dunno why you can't open the link to the 2nd story but here's the headline to give you an idea:

We should waste no sympathy on the driver who killed a cyclist while she fiddled with her satnav

It isn't as good as the first article to be honest. I saw some pretty horrendous road crashes in my time as a development worker in West Africa and had nightmares about one in particular for a period. I've friends who have worked for the fire service and they've seen some even worse sights, so I can imagine you've been on scene in some awful events.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Due to my job i see some horrendous sights and deal with horrendous jobs however after reading the first article i have just sat and cried thinking what if that was me with my wife and kids sitting waiting................?

I cant read the second article.

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

Remarkable - it's good to see serious reporting of this in mainstream news.

But I don't think it was the satnav which tore those lives apart.

We need the CPS to pursue different charges for these cases, because the current system doesn't seem much if any deterrent.

I would say manslaughter, assault / battery, GBH, reckless / wilful endangerment, whatever - call a spade a spade.

Imagine a hammer thrower, you know, the ball and chain thing. Imagine they stand in the middle of a high street, close their eyes for 18 seconds, and start spinning. Then they throw the hammer.

If they killed someone, what charges should they face?

Latest Comments