Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Please give an opinion

I recently bought a new bike which I paid £2700 it's carbon and has Di2 groupset. I am not going to name manufacturer and the shop that supplied it yet. The third time I used the bike which had about 40 miles on it by this time and was 10 days old the rear mech sheared off. I was in mid cassette at the time and the bike had not been dropped at any time. The frame got chipped and the rear mech cage was twisted. It did not damage the wheel. I returned the bike to the LBS and the usual questions were asked. They suspect that the chain was the problem. They returned the bike to the distributer and they are going to replace the parts under warranty. They will not tell me which parts they are replacing. My question is what should be replaced? The frame has light damage. The rear mech cage and pulleys were twisted and the hanger was obviously snapped. Remember the bike was only 10 days old. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

joebee9870 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice everybody. I was very lucky not to be seriously injured. About 2-3 minutes before it went I was travelling at 40mph. If it had went then this might have been a totally different story.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, I'd be thinking the mech, hanger, chain, and touching up of paintwork. I suspect you might get the parts ok but the scratch wouldn't be sorted. Ultimately, you are entitled to have the situation put right so that the bike looks and feels as new as it did before the incident.

How did it happen without injuring you?

lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes

The bike should be in full working order. If your not happy with it when you pick it up let them know before you leave the shop. If its still a problem contact distributor directly and ask the shop who they have been dealing with at the suppliers. (Used to work in a bike shop for quite a few years  3 )

joebee9870 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I have to pick up the bike today I think as they have had it a fortnight. Still don't know what to expect or accept.

lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes

Contract of sale is between you and the shop then the shop and distributors. Shop should have fixed it then contracted the suppliers warranty claim. If the frame is not damaged (other than paint chip) they will need to repair the bike so it is fully functioning.

Latest Comments