Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

mid-level groupset

Hi folks,

looking a little bit of advice. Currently using Veloce on my current race bike; its ok, but temperamental - not ideal when hitting a ramp, trying to shift down and unsure of what gear you're into. Next upgrade will be a groupset, but am not sure which is better, Ultegra or Athena (looking 11spd, but if the argument for 10spd is solid...). I'm a fan of Campy shifting, just unsure of reliability, and the cost of replacement parts like cassettes is frustrating.

Putting it out to the experts...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think I Know what you mean about veloce, after many years of great service mine seems to require more frequent adjustment and I suspect a brand new professionally installed Athena or ultegra would be slightly more accurate in shifting.

However that's a big investment to make for something that would give marginal improvement

And going to 11S requires even more change

OTOH, everything wears our eventually, so possibly look at making sure chain and cogs are perfect order, replacing both at same time if necessary, then perhaps trading up the RD as an interim measure? Bikediscount.de had record and chorus 10s RD's very cheap recently

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a similar stable to BTB but I prefer Campag. My experience of the shifting is that Shimano shifts up really nicely and the paddle shift to change up is simple, smooth and effective. My Shimano kit doesn't have the definite click of Campag and I find that shifting down can be a bit hit and miss and that I have to feel for it rather than just getting that Campag click and knowing that it has moved. I prefer Shimano shifting up and Campag shifting down. I much prefer Campag hoods but that might be just because I'm used to holding them ten hours a week.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I run both - campag on my commuter and shimano on my weekend bikes. All things being equal, I think I prefer shimano - but it's such a personal choice that you're best off trying it out.
I'd go for 10 speed - with the new 11 speed groups you should be able to get a bargain on 10sp.

s_lim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Everything is in good order - recently serviced; new rear mech & cables, all cleaned and oiled up after every ride. I just don't have the warm fuzzy feeling that it all works as it should, especially on hard club runs, so I'd hesitate to take it racing.

I've a Cross bike ordered for winter training/cross which comes with Sora, so I'll see how it feels compared to the Campy.

tbh, i'm a big fan of the button shift - it's awesome, particularly when changing up in the drops.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is everything clean, well lubricated and in good working order on the Veloce? I find mine works really smoothly. Another big difference to consider is the shape of the hoods. I much prefer my Campag hoods to my Shimano ones. It's worth taking a bike for a test spin to see how you feel on the Shimano hoods.

Latest Comments