Home

Anyone ridden this?

Without feed stations I'm worried about finding places on the route to buy water and grub. I telephoned various cafes and hostels and there is no guarantee they will be open 'out of season'.

4 comments

dave atkinson [6144 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

the checkpoints are at:

Kirkstone Pass Inn (14.7 miles covered) 015394 33888
Buttermere Youth Hostel (52 miles covered) 0845 371 9508
Ramblers Cafe in Gosforth (89 miles covered)

so i guess your best bet is to get in contact with those three, can't find a contact number for the rambler's cafe but there's plenty of pubs in gosforth too so unless you're doing it at some godforsaken hour of a sunday you should be okay...

Tony Farrelly [2856 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

There's a shop in Gosforth that's open until late and if you are doing it during the week Gill Unsworth's pies (bakery in a row of houses just along from the shop) are fantastic. My wife is from around there and we always (well all right I always) go and have at least one pie on every trip up - worth riding 89 miles for, in fact you could treat yourself to two.

Old Cranky [257 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm planning on doing the ride on a (dry) Saturday in November.

I will carry bars and gels but, for the distance, I will need to refill my two 750ml bidons twice and have at least one feed stop around the 70miles. Perhaps I'll try to snack at Buttermere and then have a longer stop at Gosforth.

The results page looks as though only 2 riders have done the 4 seasons since it was set up - http://365.sportident.co.uk/home/event.html?eventid=5544c8e9-ae0f-4431-b...

Simon_MacMichael [2443 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

Had a look at the results page Old Cranky flagged up - looks like the two who completed it were a father and son team, given the ages - and looking at the timings, father beat son by 28 seconds - maybe he was looking forward to a pie so much that he dropped him on the way into Gosforth  3