Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

If you can't get a Cotic >X<, what would you have...

What I really want is a Cotic X frameset with the disc-only tapered steel fork and disc caliper on the right fork blade at the front - v clever. But there's no stock in the right size/configuration  2

Ideal frameset would be:

• Disc only - zero/minimal 'leftovers' from a V-brake/canti era please
  • Takes proper mudguards (eg SKS) so I can use it as a commuter/winter training bike.
  • If the rear brake mounts are between the chain & seatstays, that's perfect. No need for rack mounts
  • Enough clearance for CX tyres and associated mud
  • Light enough that I could ride the occasional CX race on it
  • Genesis Croix de Fer comes pretty close apart from the location of the brake mounts and the rack mounts I don't need.

Ideas please!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

flobble | 10 years ago
    0 likes

Saw that - would seriously consider if it was a larger frame. Short legs & long body means I like longer frames.

vw_mtbiker | 10 years ago
    0 likes

Could always buy my Genesis Vapour Disc...

flobble | 10 years ago
    0 likes

That's an interesting idea - even if the frame is cosmetically scratched a respray isnt too expensive...

ilovemytinbred | 10 years ago
    0 likes

I would find it hard to look past the Boardman CX, buy one 2nd hand- Obviously a full bike but I would just ride it like crazy and replace the bits as they wear out, or sell them.

mattsccm | 10 years ago
    0 likes

Being a 30 month owner of an X I would say it's easy,
    Almost anything else!
    It's not a bad bike as far as modern far east steel goes but it is nothing special.
    Go to Planet x and buy a Kaffenback for a lot less. I have both and I know which I prefer. Ihe x is a clunker even with the carbon forks.
    Then again most modern steel bikes are like this unless they are top spec ones made of something like 853 tubing. Note that CdF's are in 2 spec's.
    Being an old sod I use as a reference 531. I bet most of my generation do. Anything heavier than this is surely a retrograde step? I know weight isn't everything but it's not needed, especially at a high price. steel that isn't a well known make and model is almost certainly gas pipe.
    Lots of generalisations I know but they mostly correct.

Latest Comments