Home

I have a Giant TCR Advanced carbon bike with Giant P-SL1 wheels.

Over the last few rides I have noticed an occasional clicking noise that I thought was coming from my chain. Yesterday, when out on a ride I lost all drive to my rear sprocket. Pedals and sprocket were spinning round but not going anywhere.

I took the wheel off and gave it a tap and got the sprocket to engage but then it wouldnt freewheel. Had to cycle home 12 miles without free wheeling.

Bike is 8 months old and done 900 miles.

Wheel is at my local dealer for warranty repair. I am told it is probably the freehub. How common is this. I looked on the net and found someone with the same problem on the same make and model of wheel.

4 comments

ilovemytinbred [161 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I have had one go on my road bike but that was in very cold weather and I think it froze. I have had hope ones break but they are easily fixable, and I have had shimano mtb ones break.
I think you are unlucky for one to break after 900 miles, that is basically new.

Gkam84 [9111 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Its not a common problem, but with mass manufacturing, every once in a while, one is going to go wrong. Seems you got the .1% of that batch  3

russyparkin [570 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

if your me fairly common. i have to buy premium rear hubs these days. last winter i blew up 3x freehubs/wheels. now im on royce and hope im all good though

Sensible [74 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Got my wheel back fixed.

I was told that it had a broken spring in the freehub and that was the only part that needed replacing. All seems to be working fine now...I hope it lasts.