Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannot believe there are no replies!!

Amazed you are all so quiet.

/content/news/90346-surrey-resident-launches-campaign-against-closed-road-cycle-events

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

76 comments

pwmedcraft | 10 years ago
0 likes

I live just off the A25 and ride & drive along it daily and I don't see many people riding 2 abreast let alone 3 or 4. Whereabouts and when do you see that?

Riding 2 abreast can sometimes make it easier for cars to overtake since the line of riders is shorter, and it can also discourage stupid overtaking, rather like riding in primary can.

sihall34 replied to pwmedcraft | 10 years ago
0 likes
pwmedcraft wrote:

I live just off the A25 and ride & drive along it daily and I don't see many people riding 2 abreast let alone 3 or 4. Whereabouts and when do you see that?

Riding 2 abreast can sometimes make it easier for cars to overtake since the line of riders is shorter, and it can also discourage stupid overtaking, rather like riding in primary can.

True, if it is that busy, I find it hard to believe people are riding 4 abreast, that would take up the entire lane if not go a little onto the other side, and the group would have to be very big to cause that.

There is a difference between riding 2,3 and 4 abreast and cyclists overtaking each other. If a cyclist overtakes another one, that's not riding two abreast although it may seem for a very short period of time that they are. It's just like cars aren't allowed to drive two abreast but they can overtake each other. Sometimes 2 lines of cyclists will overtake a single cyclist, they're not 3 abreast, just overtaking, but some drivers get annoyed as they can't see the distinction.

Some also cannot see how riding 2 abreast will actually aid cars overtaking but that's another story...

Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fact is, many drivers don't like to see groups of cyclists on the road at all as they are unable to simply whiz past in the same way that they would a single cyclist; its not really about 2,3, 4 abreast. Anything that makes them have to wait for a safe oportunity to pass is going to be upsetting.

jova54 replied to pwmedcraft | 10 years ago
0 likes
pwmedcraft wrote:

There's probably only one bit of the A25 between Guildford and Dorking where you would even consider riding more than two abreast and that's the bit between Silent Pool at the bottom of Newlands corner and the turning for Shere, about 1.5 miles maximum. The rest is typical rural A road where cycling in single file, or two abreast at a pinch, would be the norm. It doesn't make it dangerous and unsuitable for cyclists though, that's the fault of the knob-head drivers who think they own the road.

freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

2200 signed petition now.

The Tour of Britain closures could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

sihall34 replied to freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes
freespirit1 wrote:

I doubt that those signatures will stop the road closures next year, it may prompt them to vary the route into other counties the years following though.

Just a quick note though, you asked for reasoned comments on your points, I spent quite a while addressing each of your original issues plus others you raised and you have so far declined to comment at all on them. I find this very rude, no comment, rebuttal, agreement, thanks, not even an acknowledgment. Next time you want to put your point across, don't beg for feedback and then totally ignore it.

0 likes

If it varies the route that is fine, I have never said I want the event cancelled.

I could make a few suggestions as to where the route goes, especially if you want a proper NIMBY.

I feel it should be routed through Caterham, Charlwood and not sure how they would do this but take it to Addlestone also.

My reasoning the 3 county councillors who are behind this, that is where their voters and homes are. At the moment these 3 are not troubled at all.

Leviathan replied to freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

@freespirit1 Nobody cares about your problems anymore. You have exhausted what little sympathy you sought here. You do go on so.  29

0 likes

bikeboy

I thought you were a cycling god! After reading your other post about hills it appears you are just another Wiggo wannebee.

Quite frankly I do not care about your hill problems but would love to be able to laugh at you.

sihall34 replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bikeboy, I think he's shown why he's on here, not to have a discussion or debate, just to try and antagonise and stir trouble. Best just to leave it, it's clear what he's trying to do, just provoke a response, what a hero.

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Freespirit, well I am glad that you have read the forum so thoroughly. Who wouldn't wannabee the successful, popular, multi-Olympic gold winning athlete and celebrity mod icon? Obviously you are jealous of even my modest achievement and misuse of *your* road one Sunday morning. I'll be the one laughing when I am doing the event again next year on exactly the same route. Here enjoy this laughing emoticon to rub in the point; its endless pitiless repetition totally ignoring your pathetic problems >  21

Solution: buy a bike or sod off.

jova54 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hey guys, just spent a great day at a cycling event which used the roads of Surrey.
Estimates are that 60,000 people turned out in Guildford alone, f*ck knows how many more along the 154Km route.
So much for 2,200 people signing some poxy petition.

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

perhaps the 2,000 or so signatories should be invited to agree to waive their public road funding subsidy and agree to personally underwrite the repair and maintenance of Surrey's roads instead and then they can dictate who can and can not use them ? Otherwise they should be invited to "pipe down".

Jonny_Trousers | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was driving my car a couple of weeks ago - funnily enough heading to Cranleigh in Surrey - when I discovered the road I would normally use was closed. No one bothered to consult me about this closure prior to me leaving home and I had to make a 20 mile detour in order to get to my desired location. It was annoying, but, like most of us who have to suffer driving cars, I just accepted it as one of those sh*t happens experiences. To moan about such a positive event, which will have raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity, showed our country, our capital city and the beautiful county of Surrey in such a positive light, and was a wonderful, happy experience for many, many people... sigh* Some people...

crazy-legs replied to freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes
freespirit1 wrote:

ToB is now in its 10th year. British winner in the shape of Sir Brad, further British interest in Cav who's obliged by winning two stages thus generating the extra media.

When the ToB was revived, it was quite difficult to get it into towns and it had to take some circuitous routes sometimes. However it's gone from a 5-day to an 8-day and got bigger and better every year.

Now, for every one town that they accept as a start/finish town, they have to reject a further 10. Councillors, the public, they all want it. It generates massive amounts of revenue, bit of a feel-good factor. I was up at the finish in Kendal on Monday and the place was packed (in spite of the rubbish weather). Cafes and pubs were all full, schools had come out to cheer the riders in, there was a really friendly atmosphere. Towns quite like that kind of thing. So no, Mr Freespirit1, it won't be the end of it. The council will look at the hundreds of thousands of people lining the route, the extra millions of pounds spent in the area, the publicity gained from the pictures and TV and they'll ignore the lonely voices of 2000 NIMBYs.

Sorry.

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1

Pages

Latest Comments