what pump should I get?

by cyclistman   August 19, 2013  

I'm new this forum and also new to road cycling. I'm in the market for a good floor pump and a mini pump. Anyone have any suggestions?

14 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Lezyne are as good as they get IMHO.

The floor pumps have a screw-on head that works much better than my Bontrager's rather ropey both-in-one schraeder/presta adapter while the Mini Drive pumps incorporate a tube like old-fashioned pumps. All are well made and nicely finished.

Topeak do some good ones too.

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [1947 posts]
19th August 2013 - 8:53

like this
Like (0)

The Joe blow track pumps are good, they have a few models at various price points, starting around £25 online. I have a sks kompressor, which is not pretty but goes on and on where others have failed. rrp. £50ish

Minipumps- I have used the topeak pocket rocket (about £16 on wiggle) and it was good. I now use the lezyne roaddrive (£34 CRC) which is very good.

posted by ilovemytinbred [164 posts]
19th August 2013 - 9:01

like this
Like (0)

Be wary of the screw-on head types if your tubes have removable cores (which most seem to these days).

+1 for the Joe Blow range or the SKS Rennkompressor if you need to go higher than 120-160 psi (e.g. for a track bike).

netclectic's picture

posted by netclectic [118 posts]
19th August 2013 - 9:15

like this
Like (0)

Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini (Medium size) gets a vote from me. Lovely bit of kit.

posted by Al__S [525 posts]
19th August 2013 - 9:25

like this
Like (0)

I'd recommend my Airace Infinity Turbo floor pump. It works a dream, has the gauge at the top (with a useful indicator) and is very well built. Currently £30.77 on Amazon.

posted by qwerky [134 posts]
19th August 2013 - 9:25

like this
Like (0)

Topeak race rocket - fits in a jersey pocket, light weight, has a flexible hose that extends out making it much more useable then most mini pumps. One word of caution - there is a MTB version which will not get road tyres upto a high enough pressure - make sure you buy the 160psi version and you'll actually be able to get a 700x23 tyre upto 100psi!

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/racerocket_hpc_cb

StuayEd's picture

posted by StuayEd [63 posts]
19th August 2013 - 11:01

like this
Like (0)

Mini pumps are the spawn of Satan. Get a puncture on a group ride in winter and your friends are standing around getting cold while you inflate your tyres at 0.5 psi per stroke.

A Zefal HPX tucked under your top tube is a far better solution to the problem. A good semi-mini pump like the Meqix Metal Road runs it a close second, and has a mount that sits under your bottle cage.

John Stevenson's picture

posted by John Stevenson [1024 posts]
19th August 2013 - 11:27

like this
Like (0)

I have a Silca Pista track pump and to be honest wouldn't really recommend it. Now both the chuck and the gauge have been changed it's okay though - and the main part is serviceable, which the Topeak I had before and failed wasn't, so in the long run it might be a win.
Mini pump, I have a Race Rocket too, but I've only used it once.
(Road bike I have a Zefal frame pump (and a locking clip/mount thing for it), but frame pumps don't suit every bike/usage.)

posted by armb [32 posts]
19th August 2013 - 11:57

like this
Like (1)

To be honest I carry Co2 on group rides too, one of these as its tiny! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-trigger-drive-inflator-with-co2-cartridge/

But I still carry a mini pump as a last resort, if you're really unlucky and get more than a couple of punctures or mess up getting the co2 into the tube etc - it's good to know you can always get home!

StuayEd's picture

19th August 2013 - 12:09

like this
Like (0)

Great recommendation! I was browsing the Lezyne models and was impressed with their design. A lot of my friends are recommending Lezyne as well.

posted by cyclistman [6 posts]
20th August 2013 - 9:56

like this
Like (0)

How would the Joe blow fare in comparison to the Lezyne/SKS brands?

20th August 2013 - 9:58

like this
Like (0)

Thanks for the recommendation Qwerky. I read some reviews on it and they seem pretty good. How is the pump head?

I think I'm leaning towards a Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive complete with a Road Drive mini pump.

20th August 2013 - 10:04

like this
Like (0)

No experience of joe blow or SKS myself - but I can defo vouch for quality of Lezyne (at a price)!

StuayEd's picture

20th August 2013 - 12:16

like this
Like (0)

Unless you're running a bike shop I'd imagine you are pretty unlikely to wear out a track pump. I have a Joe Blow and a SKS and they have both had years of use and been fine.

I've just had to change the o-ring on the SKS as it eventually perished so I'd look for a pump where you can get spares - both SKS and Topeak do rebuild kits for a few quid with replacement o-rings.

Edit: One thought not related to reliability - the biggest annoyance I find with track pumps is their bases. My SKS loves to fall over and my JB has a triangular base that whilst stable is very sharp edged, so likes to scratch the car boot at every opportunity. My advice, pay attention to the base!

Ride in Oxford? Come and join the
Cowley Road Condors cycling club, Oxford's friendliest cycling club!

tom_w's picture

posted by tom_w [91 posts]
21st August 2013 - 9:33

like this
Like (0)