Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ongoing Chinarillo testing

Hi guys & girls,

Just an update really, I've now covered over 4000 uneventful miles on it.

I've changed the bars to the compact type, they`re a lot easier on my neck, I`m 52 now  2 , still pretty flexible but....

The frame has performed without a hitch. just replaced worn headset.

The Sram Rival groupset has been great.

The wheels have been straightened by Darren at Strada wheels, thanks mate, the bearings have been replaced through normal wear & tear.

The bars were replaced with Chinese copies of Most compact bars. Fitted & forgotten.

I've also got a pair of 25mm GP4000s on, only done 20 miles on them, but they feel ok!

I wouldn't hesitate building another one, mid you, all the "proper" manufacturers are having to play ball, so there are some cracking end of season deals to be had, hhhmmm

Thanks for reading,

Wheelz

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

wheelz | 10 years ago
0 likes

I get asked all the time as to "is it real"? I just tell them the truth. They just assume its real.

Yep, the wheels are from the land of the cheap Italian bikes!! I had them checked out by a reputable wheel builder before I rode them. They said, and I quote, * they are of the same standard as the ones from Planet X, or such outlets. As I said , they had to be straightened, and after 3000 miles I've had to replace the bearings, but that's no more than normal.

Would I build another? hhhhmmmm, unsure really, feel like I would like a change of style or concept. But the quality is as good as anything mainstream I've built, just there's this warranty thing!!!!!

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

A bit like owning a real Pinarello and being asked if it's real all the time I suppose.

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

shallow I know but I'd be more worried about how to deal with someone saying 'nice Pinarello'

glad you're enjoying it though - it does raise questions about why brands can't get close to those prices.

captain_slog replied to TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

it does raise questions about why brands can't get close to those prices

No R&D or marketing costs?

TheHatter replied to captain_slog | 10 years ago
0 likes
captain_slog wrote:
TheHatter wrote:

it does raise questions about why brands can't get close to those prices

No R&D or marketing costs?

Agree that's true for some - but so many frames are very similar there's not much going in to R&D so does that mean 20% going to some Soho hipsters or now disgraced ex riders?

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Interesting. Its almost tempting isn't it..

But are there any concerns about manufacture quality? Ie in the event of an extreme situation and you really need your frame or wheels to hold up.. (I presume your wheels aren't campag Bora ultra either?)

Is there any warranty protection?

I think that would niggle away at me and stop me pushing quite so hard,.TBH

russyparkin | 10 years ago
0 likes

was thinking about this only a few days ago actually. someone around here has build a china-velo r5 and is well happy so far

russyparkin | 10 years ago
0 likes

ha ah good news!

Latest Comments