Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Double - wrapping Handlebars

Hi all - help/advice please
My handlebars are covered in the cork type taping but its a right pain to keep it clean  20
Just bought the Fizik 2mm tape having read good reviews and thinking easier to keep clean to replace the cork tape, so im thinking of going over the existing cork tape with the Fizik for 'extra comfort'riding over our beautiful road surfaces!
having done a little research it seems 'over taping' is quite popular so just wondering if anyone on here has done this? also any advice anyone can give me?
one concern i have is the bar stops/caps....will they still fit in the end of the bars or do you cut flush the existing tape with the end of the bar?
I'm aware of the gel tape but having bought the 2mm Fizik i'm gonna use it
Any help/advice welcomed
Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Black stays clean forever. You aren't one of those white tape type people, are you?

Adey replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Black stays clean forever. You aren't one of those white tape type people, are you?

Nah - my bike is a Bianchi so trying to keep with 'tradition' and use 'celeste'. I did think about getting black though
thanks for all the advice fellas but i jibbed out and stripped off the cork - good job i did,there was barely enough of the Fizik!!

chickeee | 10 years ago
0 likes

I only bother double wrap on the tops and stop at the holds.

oddbydefault | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah - double wrap is excellent  16

Be sure to trim the inside layer as much as possible, and maybe think about getting something like this if the plugs keep falling out / won't go in: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bht-96-screw-on-road-handlebar-end-plugs/

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I double wrap - it's glorious. But as you say, the bar ends are a nightmare. Trim back the original tape, and you'll need to leave the top layer hanging over a little more because it's got further to go to get in the bars. Even then it'll push the bar ends out more than you're used to. But it's worth it. Joy of comfy.

Latest Comments