Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dead Litespeed Vortex Compact... What next?

So approximately 280miles from the end of London Edinburgh London (rider A33), my 2006 Litespeed vortex compact let go in a big way.

There is now a crack running almost the whole way round the bb through the downtube and seat tube, leaving around 1.5cm of metal keeping the frame in one piece at the bottom end

With the disaster put to one side and LEL finished on a spare bike i'm looking for any advice on what to go for next.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with carbon frames so what are your thoughts on my short list:-

Cannondale supersix Evo HM
Giant TCR Advanced SL
Specialized tarmac SL4
Giant Defy Advanced SL

Any glaring omissions from the list? Anything I should be steering well clear of?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Dobbsy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Descision made,

Im going for a Giant TCR advanced SL.

Found a decent deal for a lightly used 2012 example (400 miles and looks like new).

Once i've picked it up and made a few tweaks i'll add pics to the 'show us your bikes' thread.

Thanks

rockfield | 10 years ago
0 likes

Are you the original owner? Whats the warranty like? When I cracked the chainstay on my 9yr old Litespeed mtb they gave me a new frame..You might be able to get it welded back together if warranty is a no-go?

Dobbsy replied to rockfield | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I'm the original owner, not sure about where I stand on warranty at the moment. Lost the original receipt in a flood a few years ago.

I've asked litespeed on where I stand on warranty / crash replacement, just waiting for them to come back with an answer.

Not sure about welding, only around 1cm of metal left holding the bb onto the frame and several other small cracks propogating out, not sure I'd feel too safe on a frame that suffered such a major failure.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cervelo S1

Leviathan replied to Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Cervelo S1

I saw this in the recent comments list and knew it would be you. With respect to Cervelos, I think Raleigh's opinion is a little biased.

Fringe replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Cervelo S1

I saw this in the recent comments list and knew it would be you. With respect to Cervelos, I think Raleigh's opinion is a little biased.

And out of date, they don't make the S1 frame anymore.

Latest Comments